• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rightstuf changes Free Shipping policy for Canadians.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
Besides don't you live by the border? If you do then couldn't you just have it sent to the border then drive back and not pay tax?

90% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the border with the US. But even that small distance can be costly. No point in driving across the border to pick up those ordered items if you're spending more on gas than you would have on shipping+taxes.
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
manicli wrote:
Besides don't you live by the border? If you do then couldn't you just have it sent to the border then drive back and not pay tax?

90% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the border with the US. But even that small distance can be costly. No point in driving across the border to pick up those ordered items if you're spending more on gas than you would have on shipping+taxes.

I was under the impression he lives really close to the border like 30 mins away. I guess if you lived 100 kilometers away that'd be a different story.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
I was under the impression he lives really close to the border like 30 mins away. I guess if you lived 100 kilometers away that'd be a different story.

You are correct. That's what I do.

Plus, the money I save by buying gas down there more than balances it out.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Laughing And here all this time I thought TRSI were just be good joes about holding in-stock items. Yeah, I guess your more prosaic reasoning makes more sense, ikc. Damn, another cherished illusion bites the dust.
Just think of it as mutual self-interest.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
There are so many items i want to buy from rightstuf, but i can't. The shipping makes it more worthwhile to shop on amazon.com and customs always make me pay 20$ at my door step. With all these extra charges on top, its better to shop locally with the insane prices that Canada hosts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
There are so many items i want to buy from rightstuf, but i can't. The shipping makes it more worthwhile to shop on amazon.com and customs always make me pay 20$ at my door step. With all these extra charges on top, its better to shop locally with the insane prices that Canada hosts.

This has already been pointed out, but it's worth repeating: oftentimes it is still cheaper to order from TRSI (assuming you qualify for free shipping) than going through either Amazon.com or .ca. This is especially true if you have GotAnime membership at TRSI. Yeah, you can avoid the $10 handling fee and get free shipping easier through Amazon.ca, but you'll still have to pay sales tax (unless you are dealing with a marketplace seller) and generally the base price is considerably higher. If you use Amazon.com, again you avoid the $10 handling fee, but you are looking at an average shipping cost of $12.29 per DVD/BD.
Jon182

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
Actually, Amazon.ca isn't too bad for blu-rays and dvds, as long as you pre-order. The black lagoon blu-ray, for example, is $37.99, when you work in the shipping and handling from Rightstuf and Canada Post, it's much cheaper to order from Amazon.ca. Of course, a lot of things are more expensive, especially when they're not pre-orders. I don't work for Amazon by the way.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
Jon182 wrote:
Actually, Amazon.ca isn't too bad for blu-rays and dvds, as long as you pre-order. The black lagoon blu-ray, for example, is $37.99, when you work in the shipping and handling from Rightstuf and Canada Post, it's much cheaper to order from Amazon.ca. Of course, a lot of things are more expensive, especially when they're not pre-orders. I don't work for Amazon by the way.

Actually, if you buy from Amazon.ca marketplace they will charge you 12% in taxes. I pre-ordered Inuyasha: Final Act off there for $34.99 and was charged $4.20 in taxes, which bumped it up to $39.19 . Black Lagoon would then cost over $42. Rightstuf is currently having a Funimation sale where you can get the set for about $30. So no, Amazon.ca is not exactly cheaper. I could only find Inuyasha: Final Act Blu-ray being offered for cheap (Rightstuf wants $50 for the BD). Everything else on Amazon.ca is like $60+.

Last edited by Rukiia on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
manicli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
Jon182 wrote:

Actually it's cheaper for me, it's $33 on rightstuf but after my got anime discount it's $30, after taxes it's 34 so I still save 4 dollars and that's assuming Amazon doesn't collect sales tax.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
@ Rukiia - you only get charged sales tax if you order directly from Amazon.ca itself. Or at least how that works for me. I just checked 8 orders I've placed in the last six months where I ordered from an Amazon.ca marketplace seller and not once was I ever charged sales tax. Only the $3.49 s&h fee.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
My basic take is that when you are ready to buy something you should check all sources available and figure the hidden costs as well. This is good policy no matter where you live. I find that sometimes TRSI beats RACS and sometimes the reverse. Anime Nation seems to be always high. I also have to figure tax at RACS and shipping costs if I don't meet the minimum, any sales and if my Got Anime membership helps or not.

Then I have to decide how fast I want it and if I am willing to pay more for faster. It gets real complex at times.
Jon182

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, if you buy from Amazon.ca marketplace they will charge you 12% in taxes. I pre-ordered Inuyasha: Final Act off there for $34.99 and was charged $4.20 in taxes, which bumped it up to $39.19 . Black Lagoon would then cost over $42. Rightstuf is currently having a Funimation sale where you can get the set for about $30. So no, Amazon.ca is not exactly cheaper. I could only find Inuyasha: Final Act Blu-ray being offered for cheap (Rightstuf wants $50 for the BD). Everything else on Amazon.ca is like $60+.

I'm not sure how you're doing your calculations. I see that you didn't include the shipping and handling fees charged by Rightstuf and Canada Post. I was talking about ordering a single box set. The charge, even with a Funimation sale, is according to my calculations $52 at least. The box set is $30+$10 shipping by Rightstuf and another $8 at least by Canada Post, plus a tax of about $3.90(at least in Ontario)=$52.

If you're talking about buying in bulk, at the $250 threshold, I'm going to wait...or maybe just stream anime.
Jon182

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
My basic take is that when you are ready to buy something you should check all sources available and figure the hidden costs as well. This is good policy no matter where you live. I find that sometimes TRSI beats RACS and sometimes the reverse. Anime Nation seems to be always high. I also have to figure tax at RACS and shipping costs if I don't meet the minimum, any sales and if my Got Anime membership helps or not.

Then I have to decide how fast I want it and if I am willing to pay more for faster. It gets real complex at times.

I agree with you. I'm just not sure that the opportunity cost of buying discs is there any more, for me at least. I generally pay for discs, because they offer extras, or better quality imaging. With limited shelf space, the increasing cost of shipping and the discs themselves, I'd rather pass on owning the physical copy.

If I'm really desperate, I'll get my brother to lend me his stuff, or I'll stream the anime. I'm thankful to Rightstuf in a way, they're helping me save money I'd otherwise spend on anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, my assertion that TRSI is often the cheapest option for Canadians is completely predicated on a customer having GotAnime and hitting the free shipping thresh-hold. Absent those two factors, all bets are off.
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, my assertion that TRSI is often the cheapest option for Canadians is completely predicated on a customer having GotAnime and hitting the free shipping thresh-hold. Absent those two factors, all bets are off.

For an Australian like me buying from TRSI is cheaper than Amazon.com given that most of the products are cheaper which more than makes up for the higher shipping costs.

GotAnime membership helps a lot too. From what I can see the vast majority of Sentai titles are available to be discounted by an additional 10% on a normal basis. This means for me that I can save about $10-$15 per Sentai title at TRSI vs Amazon.

I think if you live outside the USA then the GotAnime membership is well worth it espeically when there are sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10