• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Shinkai's 5 Centimeters per Second DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Since Bandai is involved, expect a September or October 2011 release instead of 2010. Razz

OTOH, since they are fronting the money for the project, there's no reason to expect the release will be delayed for financial reasons.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that they're going the route of pressing up discs, having inventory and shipping to stores. Since they're an online site I would have thought they'd go for a DVD/BD authoring on demand service where there is zero inventory to worry about.

Anyways, here's hoping this eventually leads to Time of Eve, Erin, Book of Bantorra, and (super hoping) School Days eventually getting a release.

Aura Ichadora wrote:
I personally don't want Blu-Ray, on top of having no way to actually enjoy it (and very glad for it)
You're glad that you can't watch movies, TV and anime with better picture quality?

niclic wrote:
As for blu-ray, people need to get over this whole death-of-DVD thing. Blu-ray is so overrated. DVD is more than adequate for most movies, especially those not originally made in HD. It's the content that matters people! Keep your blu-ray for empty blockbusters with no depth whatsoever.

Blu-ray is only overrated for those who don't care about image quality when looking at images and don't care about audio quality when listening to audio. LOL @ blu-ray somehow being incompatible with quality films or the idea that only bad movies benefit from looking and sounding great.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
well I am all for a blu-ray release of time of eve, but maybe now I might get a chance to finally see shugo chara make an american debut, and hell yea I would get chis sweet home,
niclic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Blu-ray is only overrated for those who don't care about image quality when looking at images and don't care about audio quality when listening to audio. LOL @ blu-ray somehow being incompatible with quality films or the idea that only bad movies benefit from looking and sounding great.

To think that 5 CM can not be enjoyed on anything but BR is laughable. I suppose you would prefer to see 5 CM in 3-D as well? Until then, it's not even worth looking at.

Shame on you Crunchyroll for no 3-D!

In a few years people will be saying the same thing about the next great thing, whatever that may be; BR will be unacceptable then. Great movies are timeless.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I personally don't want Blu-Ray, on top of having no way to actually enjoy it (and very glad for it)
You're glad that you can't watch movies, TV and anime with better picture quality?
I'll point to what you said:

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Blu-ray is only overrated for those who don't care about image quality when looking at images and don't care about audio quality when listening to audio.
Not only do I think it's overrated, I think it's useless, unneeded technology. A basic DVD on a standard TV is enough for me. I don't need anything else, I'm glad for it, and I hope the day never comes that I'm forced to get something else.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
niclic wrote:

To think that 5 CM can not be enjoyed on anything but BR is laughable. I suppose you would prefer to see 5 CM in 3-D as well? Until then, it's not even worth looking at.

In a few years people will be saying the same thing about the next great thing, whatever that may be; BR will be unacceptable then. Great movies are timeless.

3D =/= BD nor did I ever mention 3D.

All I'm saying is that a good movie with better image and audio quality is better than a good movie with worse image and audio quality.

I never said DVD is worthless, just responded to you saying better image and audio quality is overrated and that somehow if a movie is on BD then it can't be a good film or that better image quality only benefits movies that are bad.
niclic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not interested in a BR-DVD war, even though I might have contributed to it.

I'm arguing that BR is not necessary to enjoy 5 CM. There are several posters here lamenting the lack of a BR release. People should be happy that 5 CM is being released at all. I'm sure a BR would look great (because 5 CM already looks great).

I just want people to know - especially those who have yet to see the movie and are perhaps waiting for a release - that DVD is more than adequate for enjoying this (and many other) movies.

I mentioned 3D to highlight the fact that technology will never trump great cinema. 5 CM looks amazing on DVD and that ought to be enough for most people.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I'll point to what you said:

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Blu-ray is only overrated for those who don't care about image quality when looking at images and don't care about audio quality when listening to audio.
Not only do I think it's overrated, I think it's useless, unneeded technology. A basic DVD on a standard TV is enough for me. I don't need anything else, I'm glad for it, and I hope the day never comes that I'm forced to get something else.

... ok, so dvd on sdtv is enough for you. Fine, nothing to dispute. But "overrated, useless, unneeded technology"? sheesh... well maybe you wish you won't be forced to migrate away from dvds, and that's fine by me. But the rest of us who can see the difference and know Bluray's superiority, especially with Shinkai's movies, also don't wish to be forced into DVDs when licensees have to choose either!

I'm glad that CR is rescuing 5cm, but am also disappointed for the lack of BD. I've been holding off waiting for a BD release.. guess I'll wait a bit more. (and I'm glad I did wait on the couple neo-ADV/Sentai/S23 titles which are being re-released on BD for the "premium" dub version)
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
niclic wrote:

I'm not sure you quite understand what Blu-ray (ie: the only format that allows for high-def picture and lossless audio) offers. High Definition is not a gimick like 3D, nor is it possible to make something shot in 2D into 3D.

The desire for a Blu-ray release of 5CM has nothing to do with the the format, its a desire to see the film in the highest quality possible. Which DVD can not provide.

niclic wrote:
I just want people to know - especially those who have yet to see the movie and are perhaps waiting for a release - that DVD is more than adequate for enjoying this (and many other) movies.

No. Its really not. Its like watching a movie underwater with one eye poked out.

High-def picture and sound trumps all other ways of viewing media. Once you make the switch to high-def, you basically weep openly whenever forced to watch something in standard-def that could be in high-def.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote
Though that may be so, choosing to upgrade to the Blu-ray standard would cause many an anime fan to weep in such a manner. Far too few of my favourites are available on the medium, to the extent that I'd rather eschew the visual bounties it provides in order to better appreciate the titles I already own.

This attitude of mine may change once a significant number of my cherished works become available and affordable on the latest medium, though I do not know if and when this will ever be the case.

(Sony planned to release my favourite anime in Blu-ray a few years ago, though nothing ever materialised. One fears they may have decided to focus on more recent titles instead.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'm surprised that they're going the route of pressing up discs, having inventory and shipping to stores. Since they're an online site I would have thought they'd go for a DVD/BD authoring on demand service where there is zero inventory to worry about.

The production cost is much higher per disk for a single disk release for DVDonDemand than for a regular run ... the numbers work out better for a multiple disk release, but that's multiple disks in a single case, not the boxset that most seem to prefer.

And they don't have to build up warehousing and logistics capacity when Bandai is going to be handling that end.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Though that may be so, choosing to upgrade to the Blu-ray standard would cause many an anime fan to weep in such a manner. Far too few of my favourites are available on the medium, to the extent that I'd rather eschew the visual bounties it provides in order to better appreciate the titles I already own.

This attitude of mine may change once a significant number of my cherished works become available and affordable on the latest medium, though I do not know if and when this will ever be the case.

(Sony planned to release my favourite anime in Blu-ray a few years ago, though nothing ever materialised. One fears they may have decided to focus on more recent titles instead.)

You know that blu-ray players can also play normal DVDs, right?
And they actually play them really well, too.
You don't have to give up your DVD collection to start buying blurays.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Why would having a BD player and some BD disks prevent playing DVD's?

Its more like the upgrade from 78's to LP's than the upgrade from vinyl to CD's.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I apologise if I was read as implying such things, for it was not intended. My comments were directed towards Mr Adventure's claim that one may deem certain standard-definition products inadequate after enjoying high-definition releases. I do not wish to undergo such a change in standards — if indeed it would occur — lest my appreciation of my current collection wanes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
samuelp wrote:

I apologise if I was read as implying such things, for it was not intended. My comments were directed towards Mr Adventure's claim that one may deem certain standard-definition products inadequate after enjoying high-definition releases. I do not wish to undergo such a change in standards — if indeed it would occur — lest my appreciation of my current collection wanes.

Oh, the watching underwater with one eye poked out nonsense. If its a good story, one can watch it in analogue broadcast TV with a bit of snow. Better is nicer, of course, but the overblown melodrama about whether or not there are slight visual artefacts was so absurd I didn't take it seriously.

Edit: Mind, not only did I walk to school three miles uphill in two feet of snow in September, but also experienced, the upgrade from b&w to color television, from rabbit ears to a full sized antenna, from broadcast to cable, and from analogue to digital. The upgrade is always nice, and the hype about what a revolutionary change it is is always overblown.

Its just one more thing to complain about. A BD disc would be an almost sure money loser, but would look nicer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7