• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise Anime to Launch in 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm really stoked to hear we are going to be seeing a new GITS anime this year. I'm not too crazy about Major Kusanagi's new design as she looks a bit young to me. However, maybe its supposed to be a prequel to the SAC shows which could justify a younger look.

I'll hold off on prognosticating on the potential success of the series based on who's going to be working on it and instead hope that it will surprise me. No matter what the creators and producers will have some high expectations to meet.
Henry Clay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
could someone tell me if this would be a good deal I wanted to get into the series but IDK if I was gonna end up spending too much money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ghost-in-the-Shell-Stand-Alone-Complex-Anime-DVD-2nd-Gig-SAC-GITS-/290839354807?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item43b7605db7
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
This show should be more true to the original manga and included gratuitous lesbian sex scenes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
This show should be more true to the original manga and included gratuitous lesbian sex scenes.

I wish Shirow were doing the designs his with current art style. Imagine the anal pain you'd see over that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Technically, the Major could look like anything in different shells. Laughing
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: No excessive quoting. -TK]

Last edited by dan9999 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dynamic A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, having a relatively untested person in the director's chair of a major property isn't exactly unheard of in I.G.'s history.

Let's not forget that Kamiyama's first major directorial job was S.A.C. (Before that the only shows he helmed were the Oshii-written "Minipato" Patlabor shorts) If you look at both of their encyclopedia entries, Kise and Kamiyama have very similar career trajectories leading up to their Ghost in the Shell jobs... Now if Kise can use "Arise" as a career springboard like Kamiyama was able to with his GitS tenure, we may have another important director on our hands in Japan.

-DA
Sleverin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
generalkorn12 wrote:

Edit: Hopefully they won't follow current trends in anime and add some moe character. (Or do what the series does best, and have Motoko dress provocatively without anyone commenting on it, or the clothes itself, affecting her performance. ) Wink

Hey guys, first post, hello new community!

Personally I liked the couple of jabs they did do at the Majors expense, I can only think of the actual 2, if there were more I can't recall off-hand. The episode with the rich kid with the outdated robot who he was trying to keep around forever where Togusa joked a couple of times about how the Major dresses in comparison to her views. The other one was where she was wearing a skimpy outfit after being thrown into a giant pile of trash by a cyborg and it was the only thing she "had on hand" and the Chief asks her is she's trying to draw his attention to her in such a deadpan manner it's great. I could have gone for a couple more moments like this in the show, not a whole bunch but a couple more, in contrast with the seriousness with the rest of the series.

My only problem was with the ending, it wasn't terrible, just a bit confusing and felt a bit circular, but that's a minor quibble. I don't know names very well in the anime production circles so I'll just have to wait and see what the new stuff is like and just hope it's good. Now back to reading the manga....
generalkorn12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
As long as they bring back the original voice cast, I'll stay sane.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
generalkorn12 wrote:
I'm approaching this with cautious optimism. Considering that Kise hasn't had many (if any) directorial efforts, and Ubukata has written garbage like Heroic Age. It'll be a shocker if this 'reinterpretation' of GITS is going to follow the light-hearted tone of the manga.

I would be warming up to the project more if they announce Kazunori Ito as writing some of the scripts, or even Oshii/Kamiyama. Who knows, perhaps this interpretation will closely match the tone and style of the first film, something the series and second film lack.

Just don't change the voice cast, and I'll stay sane.

Edit: Hopefully they won't follow current trends in anime and add some moe character. (Or do what the series does best, and have Motoko dress provocatively without anyone commenting on it, or the clothes itself, affecting her performance. ) Wink

The manga's light-hearted? I always thought it was as dark as the Oshii flicks and SAC.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
The manga's light-hearted? I always thought it was as dark as the Oshii flicks and SAC.

Yes, actually. You know good and well that if there's any existing source material, the LAST thing Oshii is gonna do is actually stick to it. Laughing

SAC was actually sort of a cross between the two: It contained most of the dark serious tone of the movies, but still brought in some of the light-heartedness of the manga. Hence why it's my favorite of the three.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Yes, actually. You know good and well that if there's any existing source material, the LAST thing Oshii is gonna do is actually stick to it. Laughing

SAC was actually sort of a cross between the two: It contained most of the dark serious tone of the movies, but still brought in some of the light-heartedness of the manga. Hence why it's my favorite of the three.

I saw SAC before the Oshii flicks, and liked it first.

If this gets dubbed, they better keep the SAC voice actors. Nobody else can voice Motoko. Only Mary Elizabeth McGlynn will do. Mimi Woods doesn't hold a candle to her.

We also ought to get a commentary track voiced by Jim Ross, Jerry Lawler, and the crying wrestling fan. "BAH GAWD THAT TACHIKOMA'S BROKEN IN HALF, KING! THAT SHOT KILLED 'EM! AS GAWD IS MAH WITNESS HE'S BROKEN IN HALF!"
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm too much of a GitS fan no to check this out, but I'm disappointed that Kamiyama isn't involved. I always thought he had at least another GitS:SAC season in him.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Hope they don't make another eureka seven AO if you know what I mean
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9