• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: World Trigger

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Are you going to make it through this, Gabriella? I hope so, because I'm just interested enough to keep going and your reviews are more entertaining than most of the episodes. Smile

For the record, I guessed exactly who the intruder was the moment the alert happened. This was somehow not quite as satisfying as guessing whodunnit and how in a Conan case, but it was the high point of the episode anyway. Do I win something? ;D

And yes, I've had more than my fill of visage de canard. Anime dazed
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I've pretty much fallen off of following the anime, but man...10 episodes and they're only NOW covering the Tamakoma branch stuff? I get taking a casual pace so as not to overtake the manga, but at this point it sounds like they're barely at chapter 20! That is some abysmal pacing.
DukeNukem3DO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
I've pretty much fallen off of following the anime, but man...10 episodes and they're only NOW covering the Tamakoma branch stuff? I get taking a casual pace so as not to overtake the manga, but at this point it sounds like they're barely at chapter 20! That is some abysmal pacing.
so you rather have them take the seven deadly sin route instead?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I've neither read nor watched that series, so I can't comment. But in general I think any adaptation needs to seriously consider how best to tell the story in a new medium. The pacing in a manga is wholly different from a tv series where time is a key factor in the storytelling. And from Gabriella's review, it sounds like this adaptation is doing its source a disservice by moving so glacially.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I must admit that chapters of World Trigger go by somewhat slowly. It takes its own pace, which can work for a print medium but won't fly for an audiovisual one.

I thought the episodes with a lot of fighting would feel the most hurt, since fight scenes take up a lot of time and money and the fights in World Trigger don't have a lot of dialogue so the manga is over in a minute, but this is not a pair of chapters Toei should've screwed up on.

The people who do the intra-episode filler writing for One Piece should mentor the World Trigger team. Or not fear filler arcs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I guess my concern wasn't misplaced. I'm sorry you won't be continuing, though I certainly can't blame you. I hope you do throw out a conglomerate review now and then when there's something to write about other than how bad they're making this adaptation. Smile

And you're right, this was one of the better episodes! So is Yuma being a resurrected Trion body a particular thing his dad did, or is it why black triggers are made? I mean, is there reason to suspect that Jin is in a similar situation? It's strange that they can leave me with such questions when they clearly have time to infodump in excruciating detail.
pikabot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So is Yuma being a resurrected Trion body a particular thing his dad did, or is it why black triggers are made? I mean, is there reason to suspect that Jin is in a similar situation?

It's almost certainly something unique to Yuma's black trigger. spoiler[In a later arc, Yuma defeats an enemy with a surprise attack after reverting to his normal body, something which wouldn't have been possible if the other guy knew that his standard body was made of trion rather than flesh and blood. And the guy definitely would have known about it if black triggers frequently involved transformation to a trion body even when deactivated.]
bigivel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

And you're right, this was one of the better episodes! So is Yuma being a resurrected Trion body a particular thing his dad did, or is it why black triggers are made? I mean, is there reason to suspect that Jin is in a similar situation? It's strange that they can leave me with such questions when they clearly have time to infodump in excruciating detail.

Is a particular thing his dad did! That was totally explained in the episode!

His dad created a black trigger, the black ring, than put Yuma real body inside the Black Trigger "dimension" and made an artificial trion body just for Yuma.

Creating Trion Bodies is something that was shown since episode 3. You remember? When Osamu trion body in school was destroyed and than is real body appeared. Is the same mechanic with Yuma Body! The only real difference is that Yuma real body is dying and so the power of the Black Trigger is restraining its deterioration.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
You misunderstood my question, but it's been answered, so that's ok.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
Wow, so this series is starting to hit its stride? That's reassuring.

Then again, I didn't really see World Trigger as anything special when I read the manga up until I reached this point--and even then, I couldn't help but think about Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist when I read about Yuma's history.
BlindCatt

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 3:53 pm Reply with quote
no one feels pain no one is at risk of dying ever because they can just bail out to safety. there is no sense of danger...

- Chika has no reason no to shot people because no one feels pain, and no one is at risk of dying. As such, there is no point in not shooting people. At some point she shoots bullets to immobilize people so her team can beat them which makes no sense as it would be the same as shooting them with regular energy, but using immobilization bullets is less effective as they can still move, those bullets dont even work.

- osamu is useless

- kuga has nothing better to do than stick around
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5