• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Holiday Hustle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think that when a series creator helms as the anime version's director, it could be more interesting because maybe they can incorporate things into the anime (canon aspects is what I mean) that they they didn't yet put into the source material. For example, if Kishimoto was directing the Shippuden TV show, he might put some important character back story that he didn't have in the manga because things didn't work out for that.

Indeed. CLAMP tends to be heavily involved with their anime counterparts, having been the ones behind the decision to erase Tsubasa's existence from xxxHOLiC's anime. Interestingly, their Kobato. anime adaption, while it had several changes to the manga's story leading to the conclusion, had several of its concluding episodes written directly by Ohkawa-sensei, CLAMP's writer. There were two noteable filler episodes in Kobato's anime that were writte by Ohkawa-sensei to be canon at least to their other manga series: the ones with Watanuki (after spoiler[Yuuko's disappearance] in the xxxHOLiC manga) and Tsubasa (showed us what the crew is doing after the conclusion to the Tsubasa manga). The Tsubasa one was dedicated to Tsubasa more than it was a contribution to Kobato's story, though it had Fai hint towards Kobato's secret. And to make Kobato's anime even more interesting, Ohkawa-sensei wrote the ending to the anime, which concluded nearly the exact same way in the manga later on. The anime basically spoils the manga's ending, though they both focused on different aspects of the story and characters and technically had different lead-ups with a slightly different timelines. We might be able to just consider them both canon alternate universes or time variations, since we know those sort of exist in the CLAMP universe.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
2015 will mark the 30th anniversary of when my family first got a CD player and practically all the 1980s CDs I owned back in the day are still listenable today. At least of the 1980s CDs I still listen to from time to time, WHAM! Make it Big being my tween-years CD I still replay the most often (and it's still the same copy I've had since '85 or '86).
And thanks to the Loudness War, those 80s CDs will probably still hold up better than any re-releases of them from the late 90s or afterward.
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I store the stuff I want to keep on a RAID hard drive array so I don't have to worry about losing it. But, if I do, I have my DVDs in binders in the back of the closet...I got over the obsession with cases with liner art years ago. The problem is that I have a number of DVDs (for whatever reason mostly ADV Films') that have succumbed to disc rot, so I'm actually more confident the RAID will hold out. And I'm just going to come out and say it: Plex is the bomb.com....

Regarding print overrun, DVDs are not expensive to manufacture. Printing buttloads of them in the day wasn't a big deal aside from shipping, which the companies they primarily sold to (i.e. Transworld) took care of through their own distribution channels. So the fact that there are tons of that old stuff still floating around shouldn't surprise anyone.
DoctorDazza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I was just watching Kiki's Delivery Service on TV. They used the original English dub with the different songs, English text, the 'In Memory of Phil Hartmann' thing at the end and all that so that version isn't completely lost. Although the video quality got really bad during the end credits.

I live in Australia so I'm not entirely sure if Madman have dubtitles on their Ghiblie release or not. Considering anime is their forte I assume they'd try to get proper subtitles. Although Kiki's Delivery Service is the only Ghibli Movie I've seen subtitled so I don't really know too much about the topic.

Considering their very recent Grave of the Fireflies Blu-ray release had Australian trailers and no new dub I can say for sure that they aren't doing business with Sentai Filmworks. I can only assume the same goes for Disney since their logo is nowhere to be found on any of Madman's Ghibli releases.

I can tell you right now that Madman's releases of anything Ghibli are basically the Japanese releases, just without all the different languages (cause they aren't needed here). That's why we're able to get most of the Blu-Ray releases first when it came to Ghibli.
noigeL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

* Tokko and maybe a couple other late 00s releases from Manga Entertainment

Tokko wasn't dubtitled. The dub has stronger language not featured in the subtitles, along with regular variances in phrasing that are standard between subtitles and ADR scripts. Other later 00s releases from Manga such as Noein, Tactics and Karas weren't dubtitled either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5