• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
I love this show so much. They just perfectly captured the listlessness of summer. Also, Ohta and Echizen are adorable.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I love this show so much. They just perfectly captured the listlessness of summer. Also, Ohta and Echizen are adorable.

They really did get it perfectly!! When the afternoons are warm and humid, I can barely keep my eyes open and all I want to do is eat something cold and loll around or take a nap. I was already feeling the inclination yesterday when I watched this episode, and I found it a very satisfying depiction of my ideal life right now.

(also yes! to Ohta and Echizen :D )
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^Hmm, I checked that surname list (assuming it's the same one) and was shocked to find that Minami isn't even in the top 100. Minami-ke, which has two unrelated Minami families, totally lied to me, man!
FWIW the last table in the original study where that list comes from indicates that Minami (南) is the ninth most common one character surname in the country, being held by 2.24% of the people with one character surnames (unfortunately, it doesn't say what percentage of the overall population has one character surnames, only that two character surnames are most common). Overall the situation in Japan is very different from the rest of East Asia: in Korea the top five surnames make up 54% of the population, while in Japan the top 100 put together only add up to 33%; the most common surname, Satō (佐藤) is held by just 1.57% of the population.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 review wrote:
I can't decide if the image of bouncing boobs in Miyano's eyes when she looks at Shiraishi is funny or kind of disturbing, because the trope of girls being jealous of one another's breasts has never sat well with me (or seemed at all real), but it's certainly a thing that happens.

I think this is a perfect excuse to play the "manga it's based on is written by a woman" card, although you can't be sure if she put that in there to titillate male readers or whether it's based on personal experiences in breast size jealousy (either her own jealousy or observing others).

(Or maybe that scene is original to the anime; I'm not sure.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
I thought the girl from Wac working as a lifeguard would factor into the story somehow, but they did pretty much nothing with it. She even seems to have gotten over her fear of Tanaka and Ohta, which was initially her whole bit. I suppose the goal here may have been to establish her as this show's Jill of all trades.
lebrel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Work was crazy this week so I just now got around to watching episode 10. I'm still just loving this little show. Smile

Rebecca wrote:
Not only will some viewers doubtlessly thrill at shirtless Ohta – who we also get to see with his hair down

And also shirtless Tanaka, for those who like the little cuties. Smile And although I'm 100% on board with dudes with long flowing hair, for some reason I actually think Ohta looks better with his hair up...

Rebecca wrote:
Tanaka utterly screwing up Ecchan's potential Moment with Ohta (who clearly isn't into it given the alacrity with which he heads for the shaved ice stand with free all-you-can-pour syrup)

I got the impression Ohta is dense enough about that sort of thing that he just didn't realize there was a Potential Moment in the offing at all, and once he heard about the unlimited condensed milk* he no longer had the brainspace for anything else that might be going on.

* Was that a mistranslation? I didn't see anything that looked like milk on the stand...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
There's a sign right beside Ohta's left shoulder that says condensed milk (練乳). It looks like it's in a red cup? So that doesn't seem "unlimited." I'm not exactly sure how it works, but the sign above the flavored syrups says unlimited so I guess you add the condensed milk for 50 yen?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
It didn't really hurt my enjoyment of episode 10 but the festival night scenes had some serious colour banding issues in the shading. Like, in one shot, it looked like there was a solid line going from Ohta's nose to mouth, but it was just the border between two different skin shades. Not that it's a problem exclusive to this series, I've noticed banding even on the import Blu-Ray of the high-budget Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya film, which was heavy on dramatic shading.

A minor problem of an entirely different sort that I had with the first half of the same episode: when Tanaka is lounging in the inner tube, it looks about twice as big as how it looks when it's around his waist.

Also, the shot of Shiraishi's boobs bouncing in Miyano's eyes looked far tamer than I imagined from the review..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I think my teenage self would have shared Tanaka's lack of enthusiasm for culture festival prep work. I doubt I'd be keen on sacrificing two weeks' worth of leisure time to help ensure the success of a large-scale school function. If you have loads of school spirit or a fair number of friends, I can see how it would be fun, but if you're primarily a homebody with tons of homebody hobbies (or suffer from chronic fatigue, as Tanaka clearly does), it seems like this would be a tremendous hassle.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
I was curious about how long Tanaka and Ohta had known each other because their friendship seemed weird, so I looked to the manga. For some reason this anime series starts in chapter 2, while chapter 1 seems to explain how the relationship starts. Everything seems to make sense when you see that spoiler[ they meet when they are in the same class together that year, and Ohta needs everything to be neat and orderly so he moves Tanaka around to make sure things are done when and where they need to be. Tanaka for his part sees Ohta as the perfect wife who takes care of his every need. Ohta just does what needs to be done, then it quickly becomes friendship as they settle into their roles. ]
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
^ I wonder if they'll incorporate elements of this chapter into the final episode - or simply adapt it outright. It actually sounds like a good story for the anime to go out on.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
^That would be a nice ending, one reflecting over their friendship.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
This turned out to be one of my favourite shows of the season. I'm gonna miss spending my lazy saturday afternoons with Tanaka and his friends.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
Episode #12:

If Tanaka ever had some kind of reserve energy tank (I doubt if he even has a main one), he spent it all in this episode. And he isn't only fast, but mad stealthy, too; that was one of the quickest running I've seen.

On the rom-com side, the show has managed to make it both quite funny and entertaining -- with the dialog being as sharp as ever -- and also sad and a bit depressing. Since both Tanaka and Shiraishi didn't hold any malice or ill-intent, but simply operated at different wavelengths, that made the latter half of the episode feel bitter-sweet in a way that I haven't really felt about in any recent show that tried to go that route.

Well done.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
Tanaka-kun, I yawn in salute of you! I feel completely listless after watching this series. I want an Ohta of my own.

This was my favorite anime of the season. Maybe not the best, but definitely the one I'll return to time and again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6