• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are People More Upset By Nudity Than Violence?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
It is so unfair when anime come hear that kid-friendly anime tv shows get look down upon and Amercanized it were the more mature anime shows get a free pass.

Last edited by LaytonPuzzle27 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Back on topic, I think another reason for the double-standard is indeed related to religion, but peripherally. So-called Cultural Christians/Muslims accept that certain things like sexual depictions are "bad" because they are "supposed to be". Also, I think everyone can understand why depictions of rape and lust tend to legitimize those mindsets and lead to desensitization so aren't "good" practically.

In some circumstances, violence is necessary for defense and to prevent worse violence (crime, etc.) so people give more latitude to those depictions. They may themselves act violently in private, or wish to do so, which is automatically OK. Why some fail to see the connection between depictions of violence and legitimizing it and desensitizing to it and in some cases claiming there is zero connection is beyond me.

I've played intensely violent games and afterwards found I was wanting to slam my car into offending other cars and pedestrians so there most clearly is a connection. When people realize there are public shootings (not OK) because entertainment has conditioned people to accept these actions as legitimate and have desensitized them to violence and decide to not accept that, the double standard will disappear.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
What it seems to boil down to is the fact that even in the year 2018 people are still uncomfortable talking about sex simple as that. I believe it is that very attitude which held back many LGBT+ rights as many if not all of the arguments against seemed to have centred around what they got up to in the bedroom. (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa5STn_9aWo )

This also lead to most western countries the UK in particular having such high rates of Teenage pregnancy. This almost total fear of discussing sex related topics made it easier for the likes of Jimmy savile, Rolf Harris, Larry Nassar to shame their victims into silence. So the less we demonise sex and sexuality the better.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Back on topic, I think another reason for the double-standard is indeed related to religion, but peripherally. So-called Cultural Christians/Muslims accept that certain things like sexual depictions are "bad" because they are "supposed to be". Also, I think everyone can understand why depictions of rape and lust tend to legitimize those mindsets and lead to desensitization so aren't "good" practically.

In some circumstances, violence is necessary for defense and to prevent worse violence (crime, etc.) so people give more latitude to those depictions. They may themselves act violently in private, or wish to do so, which is automatically OK. Why some fail to see the connection between depictions of violence and legitimizing it and desensitizing to it and in some cases claiming there is zero connection is beyond me.

I've played intensely violent games and afterwards found I was wanting to slam my car into offending other cars and pedestrians so there most clearly is a connection. When people realize there are public shootings (not OK) because entertainment has conditioned people to accept these actions as legitimate and have desensitized them to violence and decide to not accept that, the double standard will disappear.

wait just a minute are you serious right now?
Are you really dragging up the oldest argument that Violent video games make people violent what that has been proven time and a again not to be the case?

So you're saying from Columbine to Parkland was caused by Violent media and not because the school system has become more prison like in the last 30 to 40 years? and that Parents only see school more of a cheaper form of child care?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Joachim005 wrote:

The same can be said for more violent Anime: They're overdoing the violence so much it gets ridicolous. There's no reason at all to actually show the gore in great detail, they're just doing it to appeal to "edgy" teenagers or horror-junkies. I tend to prefer the "censored" TV-version of Anime, because they show you just enough, even if they cover the whole scene with shadows *cough*TokyoGhoul*cough*.

Just because it doesn't appeal to your tastes doesn't mean it's horrible. If you actually enjoy the genre to a somewhat degree, you'll get a better understanding of what makes a fanservice-heavy show good, and it's usually not the fanservice itself, but the comedy and romantic development between the main character and his/her partner. If you dislike the comedy, fine, but there's obviously a big enough market for it for Japan to release dozens of them every season, as they're huge fans of slapstick humor.

There's obvious cut-and-paste characters in other genres as well, especially shounen, but people tend to ignore that just because it's not ecchi.

That would be great if I was defending ultra-violent anime, but I'm most definitely not, at least not as a rule. (I'd hold up both Akame ga Kill and Tokyo Ghoul as hot garbage, for multiple reasons.) Something that's a gore-fest for the sake of being a gore-fest is every bit as immature as something that throws jiggling tits everywhere: they're both going for the 12-year-old "OH MAN THIS IS SO EDGY AND AWESOME!" reaction. I'm enough of an old fart that it does absolutely nothing for me. If you did have to stack one against the other, at the very very least there are some notable hyper-violent works with some spectacular animation, something I've never heard used to describe most fanservice shows. Ninja Scroll is an animation lover's dream.

And yeah, I find most generic high-school slapstick to be about as unappealing as the jiggling tits getting shoved in everyone's faces. Hell, I'm just about sick to death of the high school setting in general.
iatheia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:

I think it's a mistake to "humanize" anime characters, as they are not conscious, do not have feelings, etc.

I think a horde of faceless Shounen Anime Protagonists would disagree with this statement, as the only point of their existence is to act as self inserts for the audience. People usually watch stuff (be it anime or anything else) because they find something relatable to them on some level. Yes, characters themselves do not have any feelings, but we project feelings onto them, and that is the main way for us to get invested in them and the world they inhabit, so that we might feel what they feel and experience what they experience. If we don't have that, the suspension of disbelief is absent, and watching something becomes pointless.

If you want to wank at anime tiddies, literally no one is stopping you. You want to project yourself into those dudes who fall onto girls and plant their face into their jellified bosoms upon which they lose a gallon of their blood after which they are punched in a face as the scream of "kyaaa" echoes throughout the room, it is your full right. You may even be proud of that fact, and I'd be weirded out by that and question your life's choices, but, hey, none of my business. But you need to understand that it isn't the most equitable thing in the world, and that many would have their stomach churn at the notion and be somewhat turned off, let alone want to see the same thing happen for 3986th time.

I can give a non anime non sexual example as well. American tv from the 60s. There is one series that came out around then on which there was a rather interesting movie based a few years ago. I really liked that movie, so I decided to check out that tv series. I could not last though one episode because of how it portrayed women. As dolls. As caricatures. As pets. As creatures that had no agency. Their boobs didn't jiggle, there was no pretense of nudity, but it was just as unwatchable.

Going back to the title of the thread, in regards to violence and gore, I can't say I like it all that much either, there are only a few series that feature it in my library, I don't see a point in a gratuitous nature of most of it. It works sometimes, mostly when it is a commentary on something else, but definitely not my preferred genre by any stretch of imagination.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
My parents never shied away from the subjects of sex and violence when I was young and today, I am eternally thankful for it. Growing up, I used to watch stuff like Robocop and Predator uncensored and sex was never a taboo subject. I grew up with a much more nuanced understanding of these subjects than my peers and have a very open mind today because of it (not just about sex and violence, but in general). I think having this respect for your children is important and if I had children, I would never want to hide things away from them. On one hand, you can call that shielding them from undesirable things but on the other, you could just as easily call that lying/condescending to them. That only breeds distrust and will either cause them to yearn for these things even more later in life or continue to abstain from these things, both of which I think are unhealthy extremes. Essentially, sex and violence are a very natural part of life and it would be wise to just treat them as such. Denying sex and violence would be tantamount to denying our own human nature.

As for me, I enjoy my violent shows from time to time. I enjoy my ecchi comedies from time to time. I don't decry sex or violence. I don't value judge those who do enjoy sex or violence (...ahem, Top Gun). And I think that's the best way of going about doing things.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Easy answer to this is the anglosphere and to a greater extend the abrahamosphear are deeply sexphobic. You may also note that countries that could and are accused of debauchery tend to have lower crime rates.

Hits the nail in the head. Even in Brazil the depiction of sexualization in media tends to be extremely restricted and Brazil is still very sexually liberal in terms heterosexual dating behavior.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Actually by getting acquainted with Japanese visual culture I became aware of how close the Christian world is to the Muslim world in terms of sexual repression.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 am Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
The only people who would find something like that titilating are those who have never interacted with a woman in their life.

This is me as a normal user.

I agree many ecchi shows are not great forward thinking role model examples for women, and many range from trash to fun but hardly thought provoking. However, tossing out a blanket judgment that ALL people who like them (you obviously meant to say all MEN going by your tone and other subsequent post) have never interacted with a woman before is rather ignorant. Yes many fans would fit the typical otaku stereotype (more so in Japan than the west I would think however), but like with any blanket judgment when you start tossing them around you're just showing your own prejudice and ignorance by labeling and judging an entire group of people. Your subsequent post, which I edited as the one comment was simply flame bait, further pushed that blanket judgment opinion. I don't get loli or shota shows myself, but I wouldn't go around saying"all fans of these shows are losers" because that would just be ignorant. Now before you even jump right to the "obviously you're just one of those ecchi people with no interaction or experience with women" conclusions I will flat out admit I do enjoy many ecchi and harem shows. I do however have experience with women including my current 8 year relationship with an actual real live woman. So your blanket judgment just sprung a leak.

This is me as a moderator.

Beyond simply being ignorant in itself when tossed around we actually don't tolerate rude blanket judgments against fans like that here. You can certainly debate or insult the show or debate someone's opinion, but not the fan/user directly. So I would suggest you forgo any further blanket judgments where you insult entire groups of fans who enjoy something you don't. That goes for everyone else as well.

Edit: I would also suggest people not respond with their own rude responses as while typing this post originally 2 more snuck in that I had to remove for continuing the rude exchange that was going on.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
Article said "That's one reason. The other reason for the difference is that although bloody violence is pretty prevalent in anime, violence for violence's sake is very seldom an anime's entire raison d'être. There really aren't that many shows that maintain a constant display of blood and gruesome violence as the show's sole selling point. They do exist - they're just relatively few in number, especially compared to the number of anime where the chief preoccupation is anime boobs."
What are some anime shows that use violence for the sake of violence? What are maybe some signs to look for where an anime show's main selling point is gruesome violence.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
What it seems to boil down to is the fact that even in the year 2018 people are still uncomfortable talking about sex simple as that. I believe it is that very attitude which held back many LGBT+ rights as many if not all of the arguments against seemed to have centred around what they got up to in the bedroom. (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa5STn_9aWo )

This also lead to most western countries the UK in particular having such high rates of Teenage pregnancy. This almost total fear of discussing sex related topics made it easier for the likes of Jimmy savile, Rolf Harris, Larry Nassar to shame their victims into silence. So the less we demonise sex and sexuality the better.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

wait just a minute are you serious right now?
Are you really dragging up the oldest argument that Violent video games make people violent what that has been proven time and a again not to be the case?

So you're saying from Columbine to Parkland was caused by Violent media and not because the school system has become more prison like in the last 30 to 40 years? and that Parents only see school more of a cheaper form of child care?

Right now, nobody knows what triggered the Parkland shooter but the Columbine shooters were taking revenge out on the bullies that taunted them.

And do video games cause violence? Yes and No. For the majority it doesn't cause violence, but yet there is a very real thing called gamer's rage. And some kids have gotten triggered to the point to take provocative actions such as threatening in real life. Any person that played online knows this for a fact. It's these kinds of people you have to look out for.

All in all culture is determined by norms. Just looking at the changes over Television, Movies, and later games and social media, things have become more violent. And in that change, so does the people as newer generations are accustomed to the new norms set by the previous generation. That is why gang violence, political violence, and school shootings have increased in frequency. Because the bar keeps getting raised and the majority of people lost the ground they once stood saying "that's too far" and if you tried to challenge it, you would get attacked at being "old fashioned" or "in the past". And that creates a Catch-22, in which the bar keeps getting raised and the only way for it to get reset is with a massive change in the society like a revolution.

To put it bluntly, the more society accepts violence, the more the society becomes violent.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
jutsuri wrote:
I blame the Puritans. I think they really set the tone for prudishness in America. There must be places in the world where people are more horrified by violence and gore than nipples, right?

People tend to forget that the pilgrims that came to America were the 17th century equivalent of the Talibans. Religious fundamentalists. That religious fundamentalist streak has stayed ingrained deep into american society even after 4 centuries. Despite the different immigration waves, despite "multiculturalism", despite slavery. Despite many things american society deep down (and not so down) goes batshit crazy insane about anything touching the sexual sphere and this can be traced back to those days of religious fundamentalism. I mean look at what is written on the american dollar bills "In God we trust". What is God doing in politics ? Puritanism is everywhere in american society from bottom to top.

Could you ever show a top less 20 year old girl dancing in provocative ways on broadcast tv during prime time in the US ? The answer is no. Not today, not yesterday, not 10 years, not 20 years ago, not ever. And yet in France it happened. It was a political satire show that ended every day with a topless girl dancing in provocative ways. It was funny and the country didn't go up in flames because of it. Now consider the whole Janet Jackson nipple thing and you can see how unbridgeable the cultural differences are between Americans and Europeans when it comes to the sexual sphere. And France isn't even one of the most sexually liberated countries. They're amateurs compared to northen countries.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:39 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I understand the premise of the question. They don't produce rom-coms or harems or ecchi anime anymore because of western fans? What? There's more anime premiering every season than *ever* before and a portion of it is funded by western companies like Netflix and Amazon! And fanservice hasn't gone anywhere, last I checked. Sure, there's been some minor changes. Roshi tried to reform and Bulma doesn't show off like she once did. But she's married, probably over 40 (she'll never tell) and just had her second baby. Do you really want to see her boobs? Very Happy
MarshalBanana wrote:
Early this year I was watching a review of Devilman Crybaby, and a comment thread was about how happy someone was that it didn't have any unnecessary fanservice and how great it was that there was so much violence, and the comments generally agreed with them. Until someone posted something along the lines of
Quote:
Wait you don't mind a show that has tons of brutal violence, as long as the person it is happening to is adequately dressed, you Anime fans are prundish

Um, did we watch the same show? Because the Devilman Crybaby I saw had violence, sex, and violent sex. And it was brought to you by Netflix. Netflix: "We add sex to things, because we can. Screw you, FCC" (if you want proof that Netflix adds sex to things, consider that the original Orange is the New Black memoir, based on Piper Kerman's actual experience in prison, doesn't have sex scenes, let alone "gay-for-the-stay" stereotypical lesbians in prison type sex scenes).
Kadmos1 wrote:
Article said "That's one reason. The other reason for the difference is that although bloody violence is pretty prevalent in anime, violence for violence's sake is very seldom an anime's entire raison d'être. There really aren't that many shows that maintain a constant display of blood and gruesome violence as the show's sole selling point. They do exist - they're just relatively few in number, especially compared to the number of anime where the chief preoccupation is anime boobs."
What are some anime shows that use violence for the sake of violence? What are maybe some signs to look for where an anime show's main selling point is gruesome violence.

Off the top of my head: Drifters. And Hellsing. And Akame ga Kill. And Tokyo Ghoul. And Deadman Wonderland. And dozens of other seinen ultraviolent gorier-on-the-blu ray fests say hi. Rolling Eyes
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
If you want to wank at anime tiddies, literally no one is stopping you. You want to project yourself into those dudes who fall onto girls and plant their face into their jellified bosoms upon which they lose a gallon of their blood after which they are punched in a face as the scream of "kyaaa" echoes throughout the room, it is your full right. You may even be proud of that fact, and I'd be weirded out by that and question your life's choices, but, hey, none of my business. But you need to understand that it isn't the most equitable thing in the world, and that many would have their stomach churn at the notion and be somewhat turned off, let alone want to see the same thing happen for 3986th time.
Now hold on a minute there, just because someone is not bothered or offended by this, does not mean they adhere to your narrative. I was in no way interested in the BL that was present in Ouran Highschool Host Club, but that does not mean that I was offended by it, nor was I offended by the rather humorous take on sexuality in Gainax/Trigger shows. There are not 2 sets of people, those who indulge in this and those who are "moral" and hate such content.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
I don't mind boobs as such. For one I'm an adult (and have been for a very long time), but also boobs are some of my favorite things, in real life as well as in, ahem, "art". Buttocks, too. Thighs, definitely.

What I do mind, however, is the attitude that male gaze and fanservice targeted at guys in anime is natural, that it's the default state of anime, and female viewers should just accept that anime panders to guys but not to them. Back in the day I was regularly frustrated that no matter how interesting a show was it just had to have underdressed hot girls in the main cast because heeeyyyy eyecandy!! wink wink. Partly because this makes me less inclined to take a show seriously (and when the show is something like GITS:SAC that's kind of annoying), and partly because ffs, if you pander to one half of your audience how about you put some effort into pandering to the other half as well.

Thankfully this attitude has been dying out for a while (since producers discovered the buying force of female audiences) but it still crops up every now and then, even in articles like this one. "Boobs in anime! Why would anyone be upset by that?" Well, I can only speak for myself but if you want me to take your show seriously then don't pander to the lowest and not even common denominator; and also, if it's a show with supposedly mainstream/unisex appeal and you want to have hot girls in it, you'd better throw in hot guys as well. I don't mind fanservice, but at least make it equal opportunity.
Mojave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:46 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Kadmos1 wrote:

Off the top of my head: Drifters. And Hellsing. And Akame ga Kill. And Tokyo Ghoul. And Deadman Wonderland. And dozens of other seinen ultraviolent gorier-on-the-blu ray fests say hi. Rolling Eyes

I would disagree with almost all of those fitting that category. Tokyo Ghoul and Deadman Wonderland are both fundamentally horror series about losing your personal identity/rights and having to cope with the oppressive violence against you as a result. Akame ga Kill is about trying to fight against corruption while maintaining hope and your humanity. Hellsing is about a supernatural alt-history with nefarious plots. Really, out of all those examples, Drifters is the only one whose entire reason for being is even close to "Look how awesome this hyperviolence is, let's glorify it!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9