• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dance in the Vampire Bund DVD/Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, these actors could be fired from their day jobs, if they work for a corporate entity.

lolz didn't you say your brother is some sort of super sleuth that tracks down everyone's dirty laundry? Why don't you ask him how much work it would be to get a voice ID for a person if they are already know to voice actor for Funi. But I guess getting real names only applies to FB pages.

Quote:
Either that or they just do not want to be type cast in future acting roles because of this craptastic show. I would do the same if I were in their shoes.

We are talking about Funimation actors and using an alias isn't going hide them from Funi or prevent typecasting them in future "craptastic" shows. Seeing their aliases for Cat Planet Cuties and the 100 fudge buddy anime will be worth the price of admission.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote
Most voice actors have day jobs that have nothing to do with acting. Why do you seem to think that voice acting pays a living wage? Very few actors in this country can support themselves doing this. Most of the ones in TX don't even work for union scale.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
Guys n' gals, ArsenicSteel is either just not getting it, refusing to see the point the rest of us are making, or actively trolling. Whichever is the case, this discussion about voice actors using stage names is going nowhere and has been for the last day or two. Let's drop it unless someone else has something truly fresh to add about the issue.

Oh, and about Cat Planet Cuties: the fan service in that one is not any more intense than in any run-of-the-mill fan service title. Don't drag that one (one of my recent favorites!) into this mess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The description for the review on the right column says something about Akira being a werewolf, but I don't see anything about that in the review. I haven't seen or read this series, so is there something I missed? It sounds like a spoiler moment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Akira is a werewolf. No, that is not a spoiler.
Kichigai_Usagi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Akira is a member of the earth clan (werewolves), who have been the loyal bodyguards of the Vampire queens and Nobel houses for centuries.

Just another private security force for royalty.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Most voice actors have day jobs that have nothing to do with acting. Why do you seem to think that voice acting pays a living wage? Very few actors in this country can support themselves doing this. Most of the ones in TX don't even work for union scale.

Most voice actors have day jobs? Sorry but Texas actors don't make up for the majority of voice actors in this country. Union actors seem to be able to make a living with their pay without having to whine about money(without disclosure of what is actually being paid) at con panel. Save the pity card for someone that buys into that.

Quote:
Guys n' gals, ArsenicSteel is either just not getting it, refusing to see the point the rest of us are making, or actively trolling. Whichever is the case, this discussion about voice actors using stage names is going nowhere and has been for the last day or two. Let's drop it unless someone else has something truly fresh to add about the issue.

I completely get the line of defense that this show is controversial and could damage jobs of people who don't just act. However I think the controveristy stems from Funimation's actions after acquiring the show and not the show itself. The imaginary in the show around Mina is on par with works that want to sensualize characters but not on an overly sexual manner and though there are nude scenes those scenes don't scream "Have sex with Mina!" I have not finished the series yet so maybe it will turn into a tit grabbing, drool ridden, tentacle rape ecchi piece but as far as I can tell that is not the direction Shinbo is taking the show.

Plus the fear of losing or not getting a job because some suit is personally offended by a person's personal activities is a ridiculous fear overly-perceived because of news reports covering the handful of people it happened to. If the chance of damage to their day jobs were substantial then the most ingenuous action would have been not to apply for a role in this dub in the first place. I just find actors with such distinct voices trying to hide their identity while both collecting a paycheck and stand up for some moral brigade to be hypocritical.

End of line? So be it.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Plus the fear of losing or not getting a job because some suit is personally offended by a person's personal activities is a ridiculous fear overly-perceived because of news reports covering the handful of people it happened to. If the chance of damage to their day jobs were substantial then the most ingenuous action would have been not to apply for a role in this dub in the first place. I just find actors with such distinct voices trying to hide their identity while both collecting a paycheck and stand up for some moral brigade to be hypocritical.

End of line? So be it.

How is it hypocritical? VA's need money just everybody else to get by on. Could you also take into consideration that they also may be trying to protect their families. Saying some body makes a big stink about DITVB and the news groups or the nut jobs make scene of the people who did the VA work. That would not just effect them, but also their families.

I don't see anything wrong with having a VA to change their name to protect their day jobs and/or families.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Please just stop replying to him.

He's in his own little world.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

End of line? So be it.

How is it hypocritical? VA's need money just everybody else to get by on. Could you also take into consideration that they also may be trying to protect their families. Saying some body makes a big stink about DITVB and the news groups or the nut jobs make scene of the people who did the VA work. That would not just effect them, but also their families.

I don't see anything wrong with having a VA to change their name to protect their day jobs and/or families.

Dear god is that all you people do is cower in your caves and mull over every little scary possibility?

Quote:

I am not in my own little world. I am just a bit amazed at how weak willed and cowardly some of you are.
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Your review definitely does the show justice, though personally I would give it A- or maybe an A (of course, the lolicon elements don't bother me at all).

I'm confused as to why you put "Mina being too vulnerable at times" as a bad thing, though. I thought that it was kinda part of her character that she was this strong-willed leader when she needs to be, contrasted by the more vulnerable Mina we see when she's around Akira.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

I am not in my own little world. I am just a bit amazed at how weak willed and cowardly some of you are.

Considering you completely ignored Key's request to end this particular argument, yes, YOU ARE IN YOUR OWN LITTLE WORLD. Seriously dude, other people are trying to talk about the show itself, quit derailing it with your own little desire to criticize people you don't even know for highly questionable reasons.

And oh yeah, personal attacks in an argument. Yes, after resorting to that, I can clearly see you're SO superior to us. Rolling Eyes
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Hah personal attacks. I only poke when prodded my good man. Embarassed Razz Mad Confused Cool Laughing Surprised
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
[Dear god is that all you people do is cower in your caves and mull over every little scary possibility?

I am just a bit amazed at how weak willed and cowardly some of you are.

comedy gold.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Hah personal attacks. I only poke when prodded my good man. Embarassed Razz Mad Confused Cool Laughing Surprised

Keep derailing this thread with this issue and you'll win a free all-expenses-paid 2-month vacation to somewhere that is not this forum!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6