• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
bad grammar on the boards...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
PlayBoi wrote:
What can I say...I love sturing the pot.

Then I assume you didn't actually figure out what those sentences read.. which proves my point; the study was a fake.

Quote:
oh and Cookie not to be an ass but its not really a study just a simple internet joke.

Yes. Don't "stir the pot" unless you base your arguments on something logical and reasonable. As you yourself admitted, it's a joke (one that I saw and argued against last summer, when it was making its initial rounds), which means the last half-dozen posts have all been a waste of time, because you aren't really arguing anything at all.

Quote:
I'm sure oneday when your sitting in your rocker alone you'll refelect and relize how much time you've wasted in trying to persuade people on your beliefs. I really hope stuff like this doesnt cause you to loss sleep at night.

No personal attacks, either.. and this comes very close to one.. If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:15 pm Reply with quote
PlayBoi wrote:
No, but really I just wanted to see why its important to some of the people on here, thats all. I mean the better you understand where they are coming from the more you can grow yourself and be better about the situation.

Fair enough.

Our goal for this forum is to have a place where people can come and have semi-intelligent conversation.

In order to improve the discussion, we want to filter out the noise, or rather, dissuade people from pointless posting.

Something we've noticed, is that people who can't be bothered to type something out properly generally don't have anything worthwhile to say. This isn't a rule, some very intelligent people like to butcher the English language, and some people know how to say absolutely nothing at all in the most eloquent manner possible.

The first group, generally tend to be willing to write properly when asked.

And we have other ways of getting rid of the second group.

Anyways, we've been enforcing this rule for about a year now, and we are very happy with the result. ANN's forum used to be a very good place for intelligent conversation, then as the site (and conversely the forum) started to get extremely popular the quality of the posting went down the drain. We've seen a definite improvement since we put these rules into place.

-t
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
PlayBoi wrote:
No, but really I just wanted to see why its important to some of the people on here, thats all. I mean the better you understand where they are coming from the more you can grow yourself and be better about the situation.

Fair enough.

Our goal for this forum is to have a place where people can come and have semi-intelligent conversation.

In order to improve the discussion, we want to filter out the noise, or rather, dissuade people from pointless posting.

Something we've noticed, is that people who can't be bothered to type something out properly generally don't have anything worthwhile to say. This isn't a rule, some very intelligent people like to butcher the English language, and some people know how to say absolutely nothing at all in the most eloquent manner possible.

The first group, generally tend to be willing to write properly when asked.

And we have other ways of getting rid of the second group.

Anyways, we've been enforcing this rule for about a year now, and we are very happy with the result. ANN's forum used to be a very good place for intelligent conversation, then as the site (and conversely the forum) started to get extremely popular the quality of the posting went down the drain. We've seen a definite improvement since we put these rules into place.

-t

Got it Mr. Green

BTW

1. Whatever sentences become reversed nevertheless discombobulate cerebral functioning

2. She stops another character going around the corner
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so you got them, now be honest and tell us just how long it ACTUALLY took you to figure each one out. I'll admit that the first one took me about 10 seconds to get through nevertheless but didn't really care to spend any more time trying to get the rest, I'm sure it would have taken at least another minute. The second one on the other hand took roughly 15 seconds.
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
Ok, so you got them, now be honest and tell us just how long it ACTUALLY took you to figure each one out. I'll admit that the first one took me about 10 seconds to get through nevertheless but didn't really care to spend any more time trying to get the rest, I'm sure it would have taken at least another minute. The second one on the other hand took roughly 15 seconds.

No one would believe me anyway. It'll remain one of those mysteries of life Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:04 pm Reply with quote
PlayBoi wrote:
BTW

1. Whatever sentences become reversed nevertheless discombobulate cerebral functioning

<sigh> I thought you already established that you were aware that this "study" was a hoax, and that being the case, what's the bloody point in brining it up again?

Don't answer.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:08 pm Reply with quote
PlayBoi wrote:

It seems quite a number of people misread #2's "character" as "creature", even if it doesn't make sense.

And Tempest's right. This thread's dead. I'm locking it. If anyone else wants to bring up bad grammar, please do so in a new thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5