• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaiba (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Dammit you guys are just reminding me that I still need to buy Lain and Texhnolyze, but I currently have no money. Sad I just spent whatever money I had on Twelve Kingdoms and GTO. Time to get a job...
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the 4th episodes and loved it. Gentle spoilers below.

Kinda choked me up, frankly. Easily as legitimate emotionally as the previous ep to me. I like how Kaiba is slowly developing responses to the outside world-- first the tear in the last ep, and his first real request with the grave in this ep. Also, a little more dialogue coming out of him-- and with him being so quiet, I find myself paying great attention to him.

I must say, I absolutely love the visual representation of walking through people's minds-- the sequence in Kaiba's brain, where Vanilla is walking around was fascinating, particularly how you see that Kaiba has some few precious volumes of new memories in an otherwise empty vault. Same goes for the representation of the old grammy's mind.

Also, on the discussion of what it means to have a mind, and what it means to have a body, I find the sort of dynamic going on between Choroniko and Vanilla fascinating, as he's so obviously drawn to her body, and yet that's something so transient. Simultaneously, we often _do_ fall in love with each other because of our bodies, and then those change with time and you learn to discover the real person hiding in there-- or atleast that's been my experience.

The whole setup of the world makes that point very acute, with memories and personalities being moved about, but like all good sci-fi that's really just a vivid redescription of what reality is like-- that, namely, our bodies age and change, but that in some way our mind seems seperate from that at times. I thought that was brought across really well when Kaiba is talking to the old woman in her mind, and you see her age changing all the time-- as a representation of herself, you see how a person can see themselves as so many different versions of themselves, young, old, etc., where the body is changing but they're still themselves at heart.

Also, the animation was very vivid in this ep too, a little scratchy and flamboyant-- reminded me a bit at times of "I Married a Strange Person!". Oh, and the sound that is being used when Kaiba is in the stuffed doll is wonderful-- so muffled and distant, much like Kaiba himself. I'm eager to see them follow up on the little glimpse of memory he has at the end of the ep that Vanilla triggers.

All in all, a great ep. I have great hopes with where they're going in this.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
BTW, HellKorn, I'm currently watching Texhnolyze and I absolutely love it.

Bah, you weren't supposed to start without me! J/k, I was planning on Lain next anyway. Smile

Well excuse me for not being able to read your mind, Ko-chan. Wink I'll be moving on to Lain after I've completed Texhnolyze. I've only got 9 more episodes to go. This will be my second time trying to get into Lain, BTW. My previous attempt failed to get me past the first DVD, but I imagine I'll have an easier time of it now that I'm used to (and really like) Konaka's style.

Don't tell me you actually tried to read her mind JG, you know that power only works between the two of us. Wink Don't worry though AG, my reaction was pretty much the same when I found out he'd been watching Texhonolyze. Anime smile + sweatdrop As for Lain, I myself will be buying that sometime within the next few days. When I'll actually get around to watching it is a different story...... but hopefully soon.

Anyways, I've got episode 4 downloaded myself but like the others, I'll probably be watching it sometime latter today.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Don't tell me you actually tried to read her mind JG, you know that power only works between the two of us. Wink

JG's carefree facial expression implodes into one of beet red shock

O-of course not! I'm no pervert .... Don't you trust your friend? *looks around nervously, avoiding eye contact*

Besides, didn't we decide that we're sharing Kaiba-esque memory chips or something? I doubt Ko-chan would approve of doing that with me anyway. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
JG's carefree facial expression implodes into one of beet red shock

O-of course not! I'm no pervert .... Don't you trust your friend? *looks around nervously*

Wow, I never suggested you were trying to be perverted..... Shocked Surely there's not more going on in that head of yours than I understand there to be, right? I do trust you to be better than that. Wink

Quote:
Besides, didn't we decide that we're sharing Kaiba-esque memory chips or something? I doubt Ko-chan would approve of doing that with me anyway. Wink

Haha! You make a good point my friend. Wink
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Wow, I never suggested you were trying to be perverted..... Shocked Surely there's not more going on in that head of yours than I understand there to be, right? I do trust you to be better than that. Wink

JG breathes a sigh of relief

Ah, that's good then. I overreacted, sumimasen. I an assure nothing is going on in my head that you shouldn't know about.

JG's carefree expression returns as he goes back to thinking about Candy Boy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Time to get back on topic after our playfulness got the better of us. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Just watched episode four.

Steve Berry wrote:
Just watched the 4th episodes and loved it.

Kinda choked me up, frankly.

I share your sentiments here. This episode brought tears to my eyes. After this and the previous episode, I am so happy that I didn't drop this after the first two episodes, as I am completely in love with the series now. I too love the representation of walking through a person's mind. This series is just so visually inventive, it's fascinating. Plus watching Kaiba develop with little subtleties like the tear and the grave request makes this series great. I've since upped my rating to masterpiece. It truly is the best series this season. I'm definitely going to have to watch more of Yuasa's works now.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first four episodes subbed.

What ever I may have said about anything else this season, Kaiba is quite literally the show that I have had the most fun watching. Instant masterpiece. Best of the season. Smile And what's great is that I find the story rather easy to understand. Probably a little over a year ago, I would have probably replied with a d'wahht...? Also, I totally agree with HK about the soundtrack.

The stories in both episodes 3 and 4 were very touching, and I'm with Steve in that I was left a bit teary-eyed. There is so much emotion mixed with such simple ideas and yet they are made so complex. (When and if I have the free time, I am so watching Kemonozume and Mind Game.)

It's neat to watch Kaiba experience other people's rather intense memories in their own minds, while he himself has none at the moment. At the end of ep. 4, we see that he's starting to remember some things (about Neiro), and I really look forward to following him in this journey.

I also look forward to the discussion, because that's half the fun! Very Happy

Btw, Vanilla is my favorite character!

HellKorn wrote:
I hope you still have plans to start up discussion threads for the two latter series, AG!

Ah, yes! I haven't forgotten. I'm planning a thread for Lain to post some time, perhaps as soon as the shorter spring shows are over (including this one).

@fokkusuhaundo: If you haven't seen Lain and Tex, wait till I make a thread for each! I don't want to be the only one watching both for the first time. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Time to get back on topic after our playfulness got the better of us. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Yeah, we got a bit out of control there, huh? Anime smile + sweatdrop

Anyways, just saw episode 4 myself. I got really mad getting closer to the end of the episode though because of the typical stresses with my crappy monitor not playing darker scenes. Mad So I can't help but feel like I missed something in some of those scenes that would have helped make it more powerful. Sad

Whatever the case though, this was definitely another great episode. It was most certainly up there with the last one, as both JG and Steve Berry already mentioned. I'm going to give it a few more episodes to see if it keeps this up before I give it an official ratting though.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Probably a little over a year ago, I would have probably replied with a d'wahht...? Also, I totally agree with HK about the soundtrack.

Heh heh. I would have had the same problem about a year ago. I amaze myself at how far I've come as far as discerning anime is concerned. As for the soundtrack, I love it. The opener and closer especially.

Vanilla is my favorite too. Anime smile

BrothersElric wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

Yeah, we got a bit out of control there, huh? Anime smile + sweatdrop

That we did.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

OT: BTW it's official, you have by FAR the most awesome avatar of anyone in the forum. Cool

It's all in the reflexes...
I think your the first person that has commented on it, which is kind of sad considering Jack Burton may very well be the greatest hero in the history of American cinema. Makes me want to pull out the "You know what Jack Burton says at a time like this" quote.

I'm not surprised that some people don't find the show appealing. Everyone has different tastes, and Kaiba's "weirdness" is definitely going to rub a lot of people the wrong way. Nothing wrong with that. The one thing I won't agree with is the notion that Kaiba is somehow overly high-brow. Aside from the surreal background and the unconventional character designs (kind of weird calling Tezuka-inspired designs "unconventional) and the dream-like setting I think its a remarkably accessible show. The plot and world are simple enough to easily watch and enjoy, but also nuanced enough to warrant further though about what you just saw, which is the same approach that made Mind Game so great in my opinion.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
@fokkusuhaundo: If you haven't seen Lain and Tex, wait till I make a thread for each! I don't want to be the only one watching both for the first time. Wink

I've actually already seen both, but I haven't seen Lain in years so that would be a great show to rewatch. I still want to buy and own a copy of both, especially since both series are Geneon titles which means I may need to buy them while I still can.

As for Kaiba eps. 4, I really liked the scene where the old woman talked about how her grandchildren spoiler[always neglect to pay attention to what's around them and the amazing life that is created from their simple everyday actions (I wonder how fishrimps would taste)].

The ED for Kaiba is definitely up there among my favorites, a list that includes such heavy hitters as "Real Folk Blues", "Gravity", "Fledging Dream", "Love Song", and "Akaneiroga Moerutoki".
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Probably a little over a year ago, I would have probably replied with a d'wahht...? Also, I totally agree with HK about the soundtrack.

Heh heh. I would have had the same problem about a year ago. I amaze myself at how far I've come as far as discerning anime is concerned. As for the soundtrack, I love it. The opener and closer especially.

Yeah, you could chalk me up in this same area as well. That's one of the main reasons why I never finished Paranoia Agent, regrettably. Sad And for a while it even made me question whether or not to get into One Piece as well. I'm glad I was able to get over that hump, as I'm sure you both are as well. It's really been worth it. Smile

Kagemusha wrote:
It's all in the reflexes...
I think your the first person that has commented on it, which is kind of sad considering Jack Burton may very well be the greatest hero in the history of American cinema. Makes me want to pull out the "You know what Jack Burton says at a time like this" quote.

Heh heh. Cool

I know, it's such a shame that movie isn't more well-known, huh? It's such a classic. Definitely by far Kurt Russel's most underrated performance. He really had the potential to go down in history with that one, that's for sure. Cool

Anyways, I'm starting to wonder if I should rewatch episode 4 under different circumstances. Admitedly it wasn't as powerful to me as it was to you guys, and not as much as it could have been. It wasn't just the poor monitor stuff, it also had to do with my 8 year old niece who was really into what I was watching given the animation style and all, and was really bugging me. Not only was she laughing during scenes that were clearly supposed to be serious, but she was also trying to put her ear against my headphones to try and hear what was going on. It was so friggin distracting! Evil or Very Mad
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Kaiba and so far have been enjoying it. Do I love it? Mmm, I wouldn't say that. I'm not going to claim it's a masterpiece just yet. And it's not my favorite of the season (though comfortably in 2nd place)-- that honor goes to the suprisingly fantastic, Kurenai. But do I like it? Very much so.

To be honest, maybe it's just me, it took a while to warm up to this show. I'm still getting a feel for the characters and Masaaki Yuasa's style, having never seen Mindgame or Kemonozume. I don't think it's the most accesible show, probably because of the storytelling (which at times seems a little too reliant on letting the viewers piece things together) and art. Not that I dislike it; like many of you, the unique designs and dreamy, surreal tone drew me in. But I could see why many a fan would be turned off. Sorta reminds me of Hakaba Kitaro a little while back, and how maybe me and Aromatic Grass were the only people responding to that thread for a while, since it didn't get much fanfare because of it's "weirdness" and "ugliness". Le sigh. -_-; And I think that show was far more accesible.

I felt the first episode was a good enough introduction. The second episode I didn't like all that much. But I just watched the third episode-- "Chroniko's Boots" and was blown away. Honestly one of the most beautiful episodes of perhaps, anything, I've ever seen. It seemed decidedly more intimate to me. Maybe because the characters really became symapthetic. Especially with the inclusion of the sweet and sad Chroniko. One scene that stuck out to me was when Chroniko was talking about selling her body while blowing bubbles, bathed in purple light. Chroniko reminded me of the protagonist in the anime Galaxy Express 999, which I like a lot. GE999's Tetsuro is often naive to the loss of humanity he encounters while traveling, still very stuck on the idea of getting an indestructible body. I also noticed a reccuring image in this episode; the bubbles. They seemed to symbolize innocence, but I also felt a subtle notion of dreams escaping and flying away. As Chroniko talked happily about what she was going to do, the sky turned darker as if hope was beginning to fade. She was good-hearted in her intentions, but the scene was melancholic for a reason.

Another symbol was her boots dangling; it's like Chroniko's dream was so close, yet so far away. And I was very suprised how well the "stepmother" character was handled. I thought they were going to make her an unlikable character, but she was far from it. While she had to make a sacrifice, she was in constant pain as she loved Chroniko and Chroniko's mother. I truly felt for these new characters and I think I am starting to warm up to Kaiba as well. He's often portrayed as confused and lost in his surroundings, and while still is lost, his tears gave the much needed connection I wanted. He finally felt human to me.

Other things I liked were the subtle character animation. I loved Kaiba's struggle to stand up after "becoming" Chroniko. I also noticed how some of the "weird" looking characters were given cute, young voices (like the pointed noise boy and the um...mole kid with glasses lol). Intentional or not, I found it intriguing.

I'm looking forward to episode 4 and hopefully it will only get better from here.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I love the OP and ED. The OP especially. So soft, yet powerful.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
It wasn't just the poor monitor stuff, it also had to do with my 8 year old niece who was really into what I was watching given the animation style and all, and was really bugging me. Not only was she laughing during scenes that were clearly supposed to be serious, but she was also trying to put her ear against my headphones to try and hear what was going on. It was so friggin distracting! Evil or Very Mad

Yikes! That sure sounds mega annoying! At least you managed to get the most you could out of the episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9