• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind other Gundam shows ranking higher than Zeta, but the ones that are doing that aren't even very good. I mean, 0080 I could see, Turn A, Unicorn, 0079, even G, ffs. But 00? SEED? Wing?

I get the feeling the people who voted for Gundam Wing haven't seen a whole lot of Gundam. Or anime. Or anything.

00 and SEED being up there is just a case of "OOOOOH SHINY!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen all that much of the Gundam franchise. There was a time, back in those halcyon days of 2002 or so, when I thought it would be just the thing for me. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing was a revelation to me when I first saw it. Who I was back then would probably answer that he expected that by now, his favorite would be Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. My expectations, however, never came to pass. Somewhere, I just lost interest in the giant robots of any stripe and never saw anything but a few scattered scenes from Mobile Suite Gundam SEED after 2003 or 2004.

Even so, I have made its acquaintance and quite warmly on a few occasions. The chief contenders were The 08th MS Team and 0080: War in the Pocket. I enjoyed both a lot; they were faithful fellow travelers on the Midnight Run.

I voted for 0080: War in the Pocket because I deeply appreciate intimate, personal stories, refusal to glorify war and its necessary cruelty to the naïveté of its lead had the greatest effect upon me of anything in the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't mind other Gundam shows ranking higher than Zeta, but the ones that are doing that aren't even very good. I mean, 0080 I could see, Turn A, Unicorn, 0079, even G, ffs. But 00? SEED? Wing?

I get the feeling the people who voted for Gundam Wing haven't seen a whole lot of Gundam. Or anime. Or anything.

Again like I previously said, all three titles that are in the top three have received the most commercial success here in America. Is it all that surprising then that these series represented the majority favorite?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
WeskerGriff wrote:
Again like I previously said, all three titles that are in the top three have received the most commercial success here in America. Is it all that surprising then that these series represented the majority favorite?

Not surprising, just disappointing.
Panon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Gee, so sorry that people's opinions on what entertainment they enjoy most aren't conforming to your objective and well researched statements of fact!
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
@Panon
Calm down, he wasn't being serious. I think I know Penguintruth well enough to know when he's using sarcasm.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
For a very long time, it was 08th MS Squad as my favorite series, but I really liked 00, so that was the one I eventually voted for.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
Gee, so sorry that people's opinions on what entertainment they enjoy most aren't conforming to your objective and well researched statements of fact!

Just so long as we understand each other.

animehermit wrote:
@Panon
Calm down, he wasn't being serious. I think I know Penguintruth well enough to know when he's using sarcasm.

It was more hyperbole. I really do think Wing, SEED, and 00 are empty-headed and the latter two basically are mostly flash rather than substance, but I exaggerated.

I recognize that they were the most commercially successful, though, but it's kind of sad that older titles didn't make it higher, and have a suspicion it's because of their age, which is pretty sad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
^
I dunno about that. Many older titles made it to America, like 0079, 08th MS Team and Zeta. Turn A and X never made it to America yet they are newer than Wing and the aforementioned UC titles.

The age of titles is a factor when licensing, but I don't think age has hurt the Gundam franchise. Except, of course, the actual AGE itself.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
WeskerGriff wrote:

Not surprising, just disappointing.

I agree.
sypherman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
I thought long and hard about this, weighing AU and UC.Then I realized the only viable answer was G Gundam, because it was the only one with Master Asia in it.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:59 am Reply with quote
sypherman wrote:
I thought long and hard about this, weighing AU and UC.Then I realized the only viable answer was G Gundam, because it was the only one with Master Asia in it.

GOOD MAN

Went with G myself, would love to see Imagawa return to it and give us G2 someday (and Shin Mazinger Great-hen and GR: The Siege of Babel and...). *sigh*

Personal ranking: G > 08th MS Team > X
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:55 am Reply with quote
I voted for MS Gundam. And really it's just because of the movies. Zeta is ok, but I feel the pace is kind of terrible and the show doesn't jive as well when it comes to plotting. I think Turn A and X, are also pretty good. G Gundam is kind of the best Gundam. Man I should have voted for that.

I like Seed, but no, it's not best anything. It's teeny booper Gundam and well it's just far too too angsty for me to consider it best anything. A good popcorn show though.

Wing is a stupid and bad show. I love it, but it's a very dumb show.

And 00? Well the 1st season was good....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
WeskerGriff wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, SEED wasn't that successful in the USA. That's why it got all those time slot changes and why CN never aired Destiny.

At least, that's from what I understand about it.

I know in Canada, it was popular (it got three full runs and Destiny had started it second before YTV pulled the plug) but most of the people I know who watched it do acknowledge that it had flaws. Same thing with Destiny. The people I watched Destiny with actually liked Shinn and saw the nosedive of quality around Episode 39.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
@Lynx Amali

It may not seen as big of commercial success as some other shows released over here, but a lot of the stuff on this list was never released over here to begin with. So even though it didn't do that well, it still had more exposure than say, Zeta.

Never mind, I'm a [expletive] idiot for forgetting that Zeta had an american release even though no one bought it, but all anyone can do is point out how [expletive] wrong I am.

Last edited by Animehermit on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9