• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Golden Kamuy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Reviewer here. Thanks for the head's up about that: I thought it outright suggested he was not Ainu, but I might've misinterpreted/read too much into something that just referred to him being an outsider to Asirpa's specific tribe. I know there are Ainu who live in Russia (or "lived" might be the better word, as most of them are very assimilated since where Japan finally acknowledged them as an indigenous minority group, Russia still refuses to, and some specific dialects of the Ainu language like Sakhalin have already disappeared), but it seemed to be suggesting to me that he was not Ainu at all. My bad on that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
I know there are Ainu who live in Russia (or "lived" might be the better word, as most of them are very assimilated since where Japan finally acknowledged them as an indigenous minority group, Russia still refuses to, and some specific dialects of the Ainu language like Sakhalin have already disappeared)
Yeah, a lot of the Sakhalin and Kuril Ainu were actually "repatriated" to Hokkaido after WWII, since they were counted as Japanese citizens, and the very few people who identified themselves as Ainu in the latest Russian census mostly live in Kamchatka, which is considered to be outside of traditional Ainu territory. Unlike in Japan, where the recognition of the Ainu has so far been largely symbolic, the status of an indigenous small-numbered people in Russia is associated with certain rights, like somewhat bigger hunting and fishing quotas or the right to whale, so the local government bodies might be disincentivized from expanding the number of officially recognized indigenous groups.
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:32 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Reviewer here. Thanks for the head's up about that: I thought it outright suggested he was not Ainu, but I might've misinterpreted/read too much into something that just referred to him being an outsider to Asirpa's specific tribe. I know there are Ainu who live in Russia (or "lived" might be the better word, as most of them are very assimilated since where Japan finally acknowledged them as an indigenous minority group, Russia still refuses to, and some specific dialects of the Ainu language like Sakhalin have already disappeared), but it seemed to be suggesting to me that he was not Ainu at all. My bad on that.

There was some great information in both Japanese and English at the Ainu Museum in Shiraoi ( http://www.ainu-museum.or.jp/ ) about not only the Ainu but other indigenous peoples in surrounding areas, however it closed on 31st March 2018, with a new facility opening 24th April 2020. I'm not sure how much information I was able to photograph when I visited there last November.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
Isn't Golden Kamuy an adventure story? We got introduced to a potential new long lasting character got more characterization from another and got some of the funniest moments in the whole show (I laughed quite a bit this episode). Also we knew who the murderer was at the very start of the episode so that was a clear sign that it wasn't gonna play the whole horror murder hotel thing straight, it was just a setting for a new character intro and that's it.

This episode felt the same as all the others.
halo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I think the reviewer got lost looking for social commentary instead of seeing the obvious plot device. It's simply just a way to keep the established characters from recognizing her has one of the prisoners they are looking for. Have we really even established that the character is trans and not just taking the identity of someone as a disguise? Or are we going to start talking about how "Nuns on the Run" portrayed cross dressers as criminals trying to infiltrate nunneries?
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
we don't even know if he feels like a woman or if it's just a way for him not to be found.

Actually, we do; at the very beginning of the episode, you see Kano holding a hack saw and wearing no shirt, displaying his very male, tattooed torso. I would take that to mean he's not female "down there" at all and it's just a disguise.
Gabriel Augusto Vidigal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
This has to be one of the worst reviews I have ever read on ANN, right up there with the recents Darling in the Franxx´s ones. The reviewer just focused of how much she doesnt like the idea of a trans person being a murder and ignored pretty much all the rest of the episode, beyond that, completely ignored her reason for the murder do what she does, even if it was exaggerated. Its just hideous, ANN is really going down hill for a while now, guess I will just stuck with the news.
Halko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
All opinion articles are biased. A feminist will look at something and see problems about gender even if they dont exist in the same way a devout religious guy will see winning the lottery as a gift from god. If you want to remain sane online only look at facts and toss the rest of the shit out the window. The great thing about the internet is that everyone gets their word even if you dont agree which is why you just have to shrug and move on. Or you can cause a shitstorm over twatter about a bunch of "problematic" opinions you disagree with and try to ruin lives and livelihoods like we have seen recently. Basically though if your going to be online get your long boots on cause youll be trudging through the sewer.

Everyones opinion is garbage in the end and it only ever matters when it piles up and makes a stink. Its just sad that much of whats been going on has been over such trivial tripe.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I also feel the reviewer got offended a bit too easily.

Let's be real: Golden Kamuy is very much a men's story. The prisoners: all male. Army: all male. Shinsengumi: all male. Ainu: mostly male, with Asirpa standing out as quite a tomboy. About the only realistic way to work in another female character in the story without making it feel like a stretch is to have her actually be a man.

Also, this is not exactly a series of nice people. Apart from Asirpa and most of the Ainu, about every character in this series can be considered evilsome just a bit more so than others. Why should a prisoner that very obviously just uses female looks as a disguise be any different?

BTW, it will be interesting to see how ANN will review Back Street Girls next season. Reading the synopsis of that show, we'll be in for a treat Wink

Last edited by WizardOfOss on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sulfy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
While I disagree with the score (and it wouldn't be the first time with ANN), I'll say that I appreciate being made aware of the various issues that trans people face with appropriate links. While I was aware of surface level issues, it just never occurred to me to look things up in more depth.

That being said, I disagree that Kano's actions had transphobic overtones, as her (does Kano ever refer to themself in a masculine or feminine form?) actions were simply done as wanting to achieve perfection - it didn't matter if the body parts were from a male or female, if Kano likes, Kano takes.

That being said, while I would hope the author's intention to writing Kano was as I wrote it above (and as Rose wrote in her review), it's part of the unfortunate reality that works can be interpreted in ways that the author didn't intend. I wonder, what would've been an alternative way for Kano to have been framed so that there weren't transphobic overtones, as interpreted by Rose or anyone else?
Halko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Or here is just a thought. The author wanted to do something that would be somewhat interesting and different to what has already happened and literally never cared about any kind of message or motive behind what was being said. Sometimes a story is just a story in the way that a picture of a sailboat isnt some kind of deconstruction of what it is to be a penguin.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Nodz wrote:
we don't even know if he feels like a woman or if it's just a way for him not to be found.

Actually, we do; at the very beginning of the episode, you see Kano holding a hack saw and wearing no shirt, displaying his very male, tattooed torso. I would take that to mean he's not female "down there" at all and it's just a disguise.
"Trans" does not mean "someone who has undergone complete sex reassignment surgery". Those procedures weren't even available at the time, and many transgender people nowadays choose not to pursue them. And although Ienaga doesn't say anything as explicit as "I've always considered myself a woman trapped in a man's body", her brief speech about trying to be "the best person I could be" seems to imply that presenting as a woman wasn't just an act to avoid detection (as does the fact that she never "drops the act" when all alone or after getting recognized by the other prisoners).
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Sulfy wrote:
While I disagree with the score (and it wouldn't be the first time with ANN), I'll say that I appreciate being made aware of the various issues that trans people face with appropriate links. While I was aware of surface level issues, it just never occurred to me to look things up in more depth.

That being said, I disagree that Kano's actions had transphobic overtones, as her (does Kano ever refer to themself in a masculine or feminine form?) actions were simply done as wanting to achieve perfection - it didn't matter if the body parts were from a male or female, if Kano likes, Kano takes.

That being said, while I would hope the author's intention to writing Kano was as I wrote it above (and as Rose wrote in her review), it's part of the unfortunate reality that works can be interpreted in ways that the author didn't intend. I wonder, what would've been an alternative way for Kano to have been framed so that there weren't transphobic overtones, as interpreted by Rose or anyone else?

First of all, I just want to say I really appreciate your comment, and glad my review could help people better understand these issues.

As I said, I think it's all about framing. I've liked my fair share of LGBT villain characters (just see my Lupin reviews) but I think the point is that a) you can't tie their villainy in with their sexuality or gender identity -- which as I said in the review, I think GK tries to do but not very successfully -- and b) even if you've got that taken care of, try not to reference really common harmful tropes that are used to hurt or cast suspicion on the real-life community in question. Give your trans woman criminal a motive other than beauty or body-modification. If it's a gay character, don't make it about them preying on straight people or make them pedophiles. If they're bi, don't make it about them cheating on their partner or being duplicitous or ultra-promiscuous. And so on and so forth.

And having more than one example from a particular group helps as well. Orange is the New Black is a really diverse show that takes place in a prison, and as a result, a lot of its non-white, non-straight/cis women characters are violent criminals.... but it's able to do that because they aren't the only examples of their demographics within their cast. There are other black women, lesbians, etc. who are non-violent (and its only trans woman character, afaik since I'm behind a few seasons, is in there for credit card fraud). So it's easier for viewers to appreciate them as individuals rather than say "oh this is how all lesbians [etc.] are."

It's easy to dismiss this as just being "easily offended," but as a lesbian myself who took a long time to come out, I think it's easy for people who are not LGBT to underestimate the impact this has on us when you see these characters presented purely as caricatured villains from a young age. It sends the message that you're disturbed and there's something really wrong with you, or at the very least you can expect other people to treat you like there is, from very early. Luckily, I'm in a place where that's not a problem for me now, but it takes a long time to unlearn that cultural programming, and media stereotypes are a part of that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RangerDanger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed this heavily before on this site with the recent review. It’s not even just inaccurate to the events being displayed, it’s mostly just fabrication of messages that aren’t even there to begin and it’s definitely not framed in a way to be analyzed the way it’s being done here in the review. This type of review reminds me similarly of Gabriella Ekens’, and not in a good way. This type of story felt similar to many others earlier in the series, (almost every character is messed up in their own way), so I don’t see the big deal here. This episode wasn’t the best episode of the series, but it’s extremely far from being the worst based on the undeserving grade it got.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10