• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel_Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
Well I know I don't mind paying 20$ for a DVD and as for the thing about American and Korean manga,I dunno how good or bad they are (since I dunno where they are on the shelf at borders),yeah I've used youtube.com before but only to preview
anime that I was curious about.Anime smile
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quote
Well Im kind of a hypocrite for saying this but, I don't approve of fansubs but I watch the One Piece fansubs though but thats is the only one and I'll stop if it ever gets licensed by another company. I really hate fansubs because it takes money away from the companies. Also people just need to wait the few months for the dvd's to come out. Sure it can be long but thats the price you have to pay for watching something from another country. I mean in America we have to wait for our shows to air on tv and in Japan they have to wait for our shows to come out on dvd. Another reason I hate it is that a bunch of people who watch them talk about them acting like everyone watches them. I already know things that happen later on in Naruto and Bleach because of that I do like the idea with putting up episode 1 online to give people a preview. That's much better then a fansub. I don't have the problem with buying a dvd and not liking the anime because I'm the kind of person who won't watch the anime unless I begin reading the manga first (if its out in the US), I'll usually buy a dvd after I read vol 1 or 2. So when I get the anime I already know what I'm expecting.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

If anything, Japan and America need to pass laws banning filler episodes from ALL anime. Make fillers punishable by a $250,000 fine, 5 years in jail, death by hanging, or any combination of the three.
Or you could just you know, not watch it. I guess you want that kickass second half of FMA to be illegal too because "OMG, it's not in the manga!" And I guess you want the Inuyasha movies to be banned too even though they're about the only thing in the anime version of Inuyasha that's worth watching Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

If anything, Japan and America need to pass laws banning filler episodes from ALL anime. Make fillers punishable by a $250,000 fine, 5 years in jail, death by hanging, or any combination of the three.
Or you could just you know, not watch it. I guess you want that kickass second half of FMA to be illegal too because "OMG, it's not in the manga!" And I guess you want the Inuyasha movies to be banned too even though they're about the only thing in the anime version of Inuyasha that's worth watching Rolling Eyes

Not so much the Inuyasha movies as the filler eps between the Tsubaki and Band of Seven arcs.

Why the hell can't anime just take season breaks like American TV shows do? What do they think is going to happen?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr.Diction

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Kouji wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Not so much the Inuyasha movies as the filler eps between the Tsubaki and Band of Seven arcs.

Why the hell can't anime just take season breaks like American TV shows do? What do they think is going to happen?

for me, filler breaks are fine, its the same thing as a season break.....i don't watch the show for a few months. Laughing
ChikaraFire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
stuff like Bizenghast - is flat-out awful

agreed
the cover looks great but as soon as you look inside ..uh.. no.
i know ammature artists can draw better than some of that.

youtube, well i agree that the dubs. overallthough im pretty sure youtube has promped buying for myself though.
plus the streaming and bad video quality is good in promoting the viewers to get a better copy. hopefully legit

the bleach filler's fine and they're returning to the story right after from the look of it.
[/code]
0utf0xZer0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't praticularly like Youtube for anime... mainly because the video quality is pretty bad and lot of uploads mess up the aspect ratio of 16:9 stuff. I remember showing a friend a clip from the new version of Kanon on Youtube and the quality was horrible compared to the downloaded fansub I had.

As for not being as excited about DVDs when they come out because of fansubs... I can't say I've noticed because I never would have gotten into anime with current disc prices without a way of sampling stuff. Besides, if you've got friends with similar tastes you can always marathon the series with them when it's released.

I should note that when I say current prices, I'm not talking about US pricing, I'm talking about Canadian pricing. You know, $30 CAD a disc, a few dollars less if you get a great deal or order from a US website (shipping charges eat up most of the rather large price difference between US and Canadian prices on smaller orders).

(I kind of take a middle ground on downloading overall... I'm pro "support the industry" but against bankrupting yourself to do it, and I'd rather people download then miss out completely. That said, I know a lot of people buy a lot less then they could afford as well.)
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

I don't know. Maybe because Japan isn't America and they have their own way of airing television? Why can't America only have one commercial break per show like Japan does?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
More commercials mean more money and sponsers for said show?

I also wish they took a break as well, I'm sure the viewers wouldn't have crappy memory if the show didn't come on a few months or so. Show more reruns and the likes as well to keep interest!
dambuilder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Why should they? Anime did well enough without season breaks in the past 40 years, why the heck should they start now?
There aren't that much shows out there that got 150+ episodes anyway. In fact, most shows these days seem to have around 26 episodes, which would be equal to a US season.
Having season breaks doesn't mean a series won't drag anyway. Take "Desperate Housewives" for an example. They easily could've wrapped the main storyline in a single season. Instead they come up with all sorts of subplots and last minute plot-twists all of the time. Damn, these subplots are fillers!

And BTW, something that really gets on my nerves is when they start calling sequels "seasons". "Crest of the stars" doesn't have "seasons", they're sequels!
And just coz you can divide "Nadia"s 39 episodes thru 13 doesn't mean it's got three seasons either! Evil or Very Mad

Yeah, I'll shut up, alright...
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

I don't know. Maybe because Japan isn't America and they have their own way of airing television? Why can't America only have one commercial break per show like Japan does?

Actually, the typical half-hour bloack of Japanese programming has 3 advertisement slots - right after the OP where they announce the sponsors, one in the middle, and one after the preview for next week.

And to be honest, there are a couple of handful of series where running so long that they require filler are rare and even then, the case that 'filler ruins anime' is probably only represented amongst half of those series where filler is required. It's a balancing act.

As for the rest of the article, it was alright. The lack of a volume count on many DVDs is pretty annoying, which is part of the reason I'm buying primarily box sets now. I also liked Zac's comments on dismissing something like 'manga' based simply upon lines of national origin. Though, I guess I'm one to talk because I don't even read translated manga...

Drew "Suiko" Sutton
http://akibaren.blogspot.org/
RDespair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I daresay the reason that most Asian manga is better than American manga is exposure. I recently spent a year teaching English to Chinese kids in Taiwan and manga is literally everywhere. Not only were there 3-4 bookstores within a ten minute bicycle ride of my house, all of which had extensive manga selections, but there was also about that many manga cafes within the same area (these are locations where, for a small hourly fee, you can just sit and read as much manga as your heart desires). Advertisements in the newspapers would feature manga style art. Billboards for stores had manga style art.

With so much manga available and at much cheaper prices than it is here (a volume of manga cost around 75-120NT which is about $2.30-$3.50 US which even considering the cost of living difference is still dirt cheap), it's no wonder that you see more quality manga coming from Asia. Heck, just by living there as a teacher and watching some of my students draw, my own manga drawing skills have been upgraded from "Not happening" to "Can draw a simple cute girl in a minute."

On a somewhat different note, my advice to would-be-mangakas would be that imitation inevitably results in pale shadows of the original unless there's understanding behind the imitation. Don't just try to copy your favorite manga. Look at the art and figure out why it does what it does. Understand the principles behind the art you enjoy and then bring your own style to the picture and the result will be much better than if you simply try to ape someone else's work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
If anyone here is as oldschool as my group and I, then they surely remember buying Dragonball Z VHS fansubs from the flea market for 10 bucks. Do you remember those pieces of crap? They were taped over taped over taped over tapes, and the quality was crap (but it was the only way we could watch it.). Sometimes they even had the commercials in them that you had to fast forward through. Buuuuut back then we had no ADV or Funimation bringing stuff over for us......
Tying my above anecdote into this post; for the sake of video quality alone BAN ALL ANIME FROM YOUTUBE! Aside from AMVs and clips, YouTube does no justice for anime.
If anything, wouldn't anime sales go up BECAUSE of YouTube? The one time I did watch an anime on there (Azumanga Daioh), I ended up buying it because the subtites were hard to read, and it was just overall unbearable to watch at that quality. Needless to say, I was inherently pleased with the DVDs.

As for the US Manga and Manhwas; Yes, NOW most of them do indeed suck, but give them a generation or two and the quality of style will definitely improve (especially in the case of US Manga). Manga is still relatively a new thing here, whereas the Japanese have had this art for years upon years.
I'm not too sure about the Korean mangas (have they been exposed to manga longer than we have? I'm pretty sure, right?), my main gripe with them is that all the manhwas I've read have really lackluster stories, save maybe Priest. Sure, they may be pretty and *look* just like a manga, but the story's probably a stinker and gets boring after 2-3 books....

Anyhoo, thats my 2 cents on the whole thing
supamastadan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:
$20.00 says this weeks rant was written by an ADV employee. You know, like those people Penny Arcade sort of outed a while back who gaming companies paid to lurk gaming forums, develop online "personas" and then write favorable commentary of games for cash. Seriously, something about that rant seemed a little too much like the author wanted us to all pack our bags and go on a guilt trip. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the basics of what he's saying, but the whole thing seems a tad contrived.

As an aside, I can't believe people watch anime on YouTube. Fansubs, sure, I get that. But Youtube? The quality is god awful. It's like watching a VHS tape you managed to prevent your dog from eating but had already been in its mouth for a while.

Can I have that $20? Because, unfortunatly, despite his promotoion of DVD's, he doesn't work for ADV or any other distribution company. Pat Dangle is my close personal friend and writer of our webcomic, http://www.funksandwich.com. Although, it would be awesome to be paid to do such things. Maybe that's something we should look into...

Anyway, I more-or-less agree. I myself adhere to the traditional (if you could call it that) fan-sub culture. I'll watch subs of stuff that hasn't been released, just for my own enjoyment. And although I know a little japanese (like so many aspiring anime fans out ther) there's still something nice about an anime done with good english voices. As long as they take their time and do it right.
supamastadan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
PaladinBlue wrote:
YouTube-
Like most internet-savvy fans nowadays, I watch fansubs (only keeping up with Code Geass, so far, because of my massive backlog of D.C.S.S., Macross Zero, Rozen Maiden, and more that I need to finish). However, I never watch a fansub via YouTube, unless it's a particular moment that I like, such as the opening of the Watanagashi chapter in Higurashi, or the "fingernail scene" in the Detective chapter. Why? The episodes are so low-quality that I can barely stand to watch them. Extremely low-quality is fine for fanmovies and short clips, but not for entire episodes. YouTube videos are also incredibly small. Compare screenshots* from Super Robot Wars Alpha 3; saved from YouTube** and Code Geass episode 10; torrented, and note that the SRW one is actually high-quality compared to the few others I've made note to save (mostly other SRW videos). In addition, from seeing clips from Haruhi and Higurashi, YouTube seems to automatically size clips to 4:3 screen ratio, so 16:9 series like the aforementioned are, for lack of a better term, squished. In addition to that, you have to either have each piece of a series loading at the same time, or load them as you watch them, which is idiotic.

Yeah, there's no way I can justify watching anything over 5 minutes on YouTube.

*both screens taken using VLC Media Player
**all YouTube videos come out the same size exactly when saved

There is a way to maintain the aspect ratio for widescreen. I've quite familiar with it myself, but then again, I'm a video student with access to expensive programs such as final cut and premiere. What it does is maintains the aspect ratio and automaticly inserts the letter box into the video so it takes up the whole 4:3 frame. However, I'm not sure how many people posting anime episodes are experts in video editing and encoding. So most of the time, the quailty and the enjoyment is sacrficed to bring it to the masses
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8