• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:09 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of funny how Wein shows up to help out Falanya only to realize he just made things worse by showing up, although he, Ninym, and Lowa work surprisingly well together.

It shows you how important Wein is to Lowa that she feels she can be honesty with him and unload on him...and she still wants him to be part of her story as she tries to win the throne her own way.

It takes a special kind of idiot to drink poison that wasn't even intended for you just to make the intended target feel bad. Lowa's brothers and Wein don't seem to mix well.

It was nice to see Ninym's stoicism finally fall apart when Wein collapses, showing how important he is to her and how she doesn't know what to do if something happened to him. These two really love each other, even if they recover quickly when Falanya comes in.

Falanya really helped save the day by rallying the people and uniting all the citizens behind her with an inspirational speech. She truly is a proper princess.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:19 pm Reply with quote
The easy communication via notes and theatrics between Ninym and Wein in the beginning continues to tell more about their relationship than any grand declaration could, as does their three person improv act with Lowa. Its good stuff, and probably my favorite thing the show consistently nails.

Falanya continuing to get her development is excellent. At this rate, shifting power and authority to her might begin to be a viable plan for Wein. It isn't yet, but it could be. More amusing might be when she becomes capable enough to play political improv with her brother. More people that keep up with him seems great for the narrative.

I think I likened Caldmellia to the Batman's Joker a week or two ago. That continues to be more and more true. Especially as she develops a fixation of sorts on Wein as her favorite "dance partner".
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also enjoyed the other way they removed Wein from the story this week—having his butt thrown in jail for an “assassination attempt.”

I think it was a weak way to do that. They could have had him just collapse earlier. He is royalty after all, you wouldn't expect him be treated like a common criminal. Not to mention that everything was seemingly set up under the Imperial side and Wein was just a guest. Not that he couldn't have done anything, but he wasn't in the best position to do something with that setup.
Perhaps his past regicides are well known? Laughing

Quote:
Is that a Star Trek transporter sound effect around 9 minutes into the episode or did I have a stroke or something?

Laughing No, I'd say you're right. Good catch.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a firm read on King Gruyere at this point, but he seems to have enough common sense to know when to take the "out" Wein gives him instead of going along with Caldmellia's whims. Although the Opening makes it seem like they'll confront each other again more tensely. Also, is the redhead on the throne in the Opening his daughter?

Well, Demetrio was dumb enough to get himself poisoned, he's perfectly serviceable to be the patsy for his own poisoning.

Lowa was the closest to a "winner" among the siblings, but the real crux was Falanya's care for Mealtars and her big brother wanting to look good in front of her.

Wein's heart belongs to Ninym, but he's not unwilling to use his status as an eligible bachelor to curry political favors. Which, on behalf of all women, disgusts Ninym but it's very Wein.

It was nice to see Zenovia again, and that Wein still can't help but stare at her ample Zenovia's. It was also cool to see she still uses the Zeno identity when she wants to go incognito in her domain, although I worry for her chest...

Wein has some wise words about the nature of royalty...people venerate them for just being born and for their position, but every royal line started with one exceptional common man, and that means that anyone can earn that title and status if they work hard enough. And that means that common citizens can be a threat to an established monarchy if they're not careful enough.

Wein kept expecting Zenovia to propose marriage but she turns it around and tells him she's too busy and his face isn't her type. Although what it really comes down to is that she admires/respects Wein too much to think she could be a proper romantic partner for him, which is very reasonable of her.

The moment Wein told her "don't worry about Delunio," I knew they would have to worry about Delunio.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Hah, I got a kick out of Ninym's all too obvious glee at Zenovia's rejection. The harshest wounds are truly those that have been self-inflicted.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:12 am Reply with quote
Anyone else catch Ninym with white hair during their little tour of Marden? Wonder if Zeno recognized her when she visited Wein as the Marden Queen. Or does she still not know? Or not care? Seems like the whole Western racism thing is still a hanging thread.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:54 am Reply with quote
thedarkemissary wrote:
Wonder if Zeno recognized her when she visited Wein as the Marden Queen

She's not technically a queen but a marquess. When she swore vassalage to Natra, Wein bestowed her the title of marquess so she is subordinate to Wein.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
I can't help but feel there's a twist coming and that Wein will find he's not as in control as he thinks he is. But something like that would be setting up for a second season.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:54 am Reply with quote
I...uh... don't know that I can agree that Wein is wrong here. I'm not going to argue he's right either- deceit, religious beliefs, etc- but since the tenet he seems to be stepping on is bigotry- an innate cultural superiority to the "savages", to be specific- I'm not sure I find the plight particularly convincing.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love Wein throwing Delunio's religious dogma against them.

Nothing flexes royalty like having people carry your throne everywhere.

Rie Kugimiya as a redhead? Almost as common as her voicing tsundere's. I wonder what Tolcheia's deal is, because I imagine she's as shift and crafty as her father.

King Gruyere almost had me fooled, but even if he doesn't care about what the scriptures say about the Flahm's, all he does care about is waging a good battle against Wein. A battle maniac, basically. And that he managed to fool Wein means he might just be his greatest opponent yet.

I like how Zenovia's taking responsibility (even though this wasn't really her fault) and already ahead of Wein in terms of responding to everything. She's come a long way.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyable ending and I hope we get at least another season. I wasn't expecting much going in, but I'm really glad I gave the series a shot.

Having said that, I wasn't a fan of Solgest seemingly being a Dynasty Warriors character and people seemed to be popping out of no where a few times.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if King Solgest begins having his daughter court Wein aggressively after this. It would not only give him a spy but also a front row seat to Wein's ongoing conquests.

I was expecting marriage to be a condition during that final negotiation, so it wouldn't surprise me if that comes up in the future.

While I imagine the author is going to get Wein and Ninym together by the end of the story, I think it would be more interesting if he married one of the 3 royal women we've met already for one reason or another.

Speaking of the imperial princess (whose name escapes me), I appreciate that her character design has her in a non-traditional princess outfit (like Falanya has). She even shows quite a bit of skin, which is interesting commentary on their culture and views on "appropriate" dress. Or it's just the artist's taste Laughing

Last edited by Covnam on Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:33 am Reply with quote
It's hard not to compare this with Realist Hero, especially with them running concurrently. But I started out liking Realist much more than Genius, yet by the end, that has flipped. Realist has become a bit of a slog these last few episodes, while Genius has proved to have more staying power. Still, while this is a good stopping point for the latter, I'm not sure I'll be back for a continuation, though I'd probably keep up with the reviews. I think it will entirely depend on the competition in whatever season it might air.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:51 am Reply with quote
Very curious about what, precisely, Wein said. Given Gruyere's reaction, it seemed further out than even he imagined.

This was not a show that had any business being as good as it was- it sped through material, and starred a fairly OP character. But the adapting choices kept everything making sense, and the narrative hammered home that Wein is neither boring, nor infallible and has several interesting relationships besides.

I'm in for any season 2 that may arrive.
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
• Judging from King Solgest's reaction, I'm betting that Wein told him he planned to unify the continent and bring down the church—solely to end the oppression of the Fram people in general and Ninym in specific.

Maaaaybe...but I'm betting that Wein told Gruyere that he planned to sell the kingdom to the highest bidder and live it up in wealthy retirement at a young age and escape assassination until a ripe old age. Which is exactly what he's been planning all along, and why Gruyere was initially flabbergasted and then seriously enthused: he realized Wein was even more libertine than he in his own way.
bismarc123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Pretty interesting anime, there's a lot to learn in economics, and there's also a lot to laugh about. I think it's one of the most underrated stories of the season. I especially liked the moment where it resembles a real-life situation. When you don't know whether or not to take out a mortgage. A mortgage is a directed loan. It is taken out for a large sum, so it is often drawn up when it is necessary to purchase expensive goods. It's the same way he could borrow money for short-term solutions to his problems. I did the same thing in my life, and I was counseled by the guys at Mortgage Advisor Doncaster, who helped me sort out the problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6