• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Dub Casting Prompts Discussion Over Suletta Role

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:40 am Reply with quote
yuricon wrote:
When minority actors are still regularly cut out of chances for main characters, and then also cut out of opportunities to represent their own, then yes, give the MENA role to an MENA actor. At least until that actor and all other minority actors have the same opportunities as majority actors.

Is there strong evidence that VAs are limited in what roles they can get based on race/sexual orientation/etc? It seems like agreement over whether that's true would probably be a good predictor of whether a person is for or against limiting roles in this way. (To try to forestall accusations, this isn't meant as a leading question or to imply any particular answer to it; I have no idea what the state of discrimination in the English-speaking VA industry is, and generally avoid these threads mostly for not knowing enough to have an informed opinion.)
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:51 pm Reply with quote
There isn't necessarily a conscious bias at play, but the tyranny of cliches and / or "the way things are done" is absolutely a factor. This doesn't have to be less simple or more complicated than a call to think outside the box. Every favorite VA you have now started somewhere.
StellaStellaStella

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:03 pm Reply with quote
theotheranimeman wrote:
Are these constant unnecessary controversies and drama the reason why english dubs sound so bad usually?

It certainly doesn't help. But people have had issues with American dubs for the longest time before this new age of voice policing came into existance. Common complaints from back in the day being companies like Funimation using the same VAs over and over again and other things. Although it does lead to cases where industry veteran actors won't be able to voice their characters anymore, as we saw with the recent Bleach recasting. And in that case the motto of give them an inch and they'll take a mile was in full effect as people then demanded Yoruichi be recast with a black woman because some people got it into their heads that Yoruichi is black. I think that's the more harmful result of this trend. English dubs are enabling people's headcanons of characters and they'll use any change as proof that Piccolo was black all along or Shinji Ikari is non-binary because Casey Mongillo said so. Those kinds of things seep into the original fandom and not just the English dubs.

But yes it's going to affect dub production as companies stop prioritizing quality and instead focus on filling quotas and appeasing social media groups. But English dubs are small time in the grand scheme of things when it comes to anime. It's more of a problem with American produced media. If The Simpsons was anywhere near being watchable or popular in this day and age I imagine more people would have cared a heck of a lot more about the casting changes there. I think the first big shake up people will see will be if they announce an entire recasting of the Avatar the Last Airbender cast. Probably the only real American fandom that has a dedicated and hardcore fanbase in this day and age.
frozenkex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:43 pm Reply with quote
yuricon wrote:
At least until that actor and all other minority actors have the same opportunities as majority actors.

There are minority voice actors working at CR. They have same opportunities.

I dont know how you expect your words to connect with people when you are kind of not recognizing what is.

And i dont understand how you dont see how you are inflating importance of representation in VO , when the audience cant see actors. So how are they gonna care and how is it gonna matter?

What matters is how it sounds, the performance. Its more important than fairness or "representation" that wont affect audience's experience.

We are having different conversations.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, just for the record, this whole controversy would cause Sunrise, the Japanese creator of the Gundam franchise, to really reconsider their actual policy of only dubbing to English when possible.

Something that is not mentioned in this thread is the fact the show will not going to receive Spanish and Portuguese dubs, due to their their policy of only dubbing to English, especially when the Gundam franchise is involved in some way. This whole drama could cause Sunrise to go the way of the Pretty Cure franchise nowadays, that means just sub only releases, and avoiding unnecessary drama, really damaging both voice actors and fans alike.
SquirrelSurrender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't someone from a space colony play her... ...since she's from space?
NECOdes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:33 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:

Unless you're a minority, you don't understand how important this stuff is. Like, seeing people, characters, and yes, voice actors, represent you, is extremely important to us. People who aren't minorities, don't get it, because you're represented every day. We're not.

As a MENA, this is ridiculous. If you're good, then you're hired, simple. This representation BS is getting out of hand.
btw, i'm considered a "minority" in MENA. A minority in minority.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:39 am Reply with quote
frozenkex wrote:
yuricon wrote:
At least until that actor and all other minority actors have the same opportunities as majority actors.

There are minority voice actors working at CR. They have same opportunities.

I dont know how you expect your words to connect with people when you are kind of not recognizing what is.

And i dont understand how you dont see how you are inflating importance of representation in VO , when the audience cant see actors. So how are they gonna care and how is it gonna matter?

What matters is how it sounds, the performance. Its more important than fairness or "representation" that wont affect audience's experience.

We are having different conversations.

I don't know how often they have the same chance as WhiteVA. Something is to be said about how sometimes a Black VA might freq. be cast as Black or presumably Black roles in anime, unless that VA decided on that typecast.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:39 am Reply with quote
I also think they might be working from a false premise. From the timeline of when the attack on the headquarters was to when the 16 or 17 year-old Sulleta came to the school, she should be in her 20's if she really were Eri. Also, Eri WAS showing effects of piloting the Gundam in the prologue episode and Suletta doesn't... I think perhaps mom was pregnant when things went wrong... [And really... Ariel is Eri-L - Suletta's sister.] But she would still have the same father...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6