• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Brave Bang Bravern!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:55 pm Reply with quote
The running on the beach killed me as did Lulu catching them in a "compromising" position. But what I want to know is who drew the ai ai gasa in the sand - Lulu or Bravern? I can't see Isami doing it, but I wonder if Smith would be familiar enough with it to draw it, as much as I'm sure he'd want to.
MyrmidonMamori

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 pm Reply with quote
They had all the jokes and innuendo at the start, but I never expected it would expand into an honest-to-god romance between a man and his mecha. These showrunners' brains are on another level.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:39 am Reply with quote
We did it once, twice, and so...maybe thrice time's the charm with a time travel twist to get the True / Best Ending? Or, will there be a last-minute reveal that opens the door to a Part 2 that gets announced at the end of the finale? People insist the show is only gonna be 12 episodes but I'm not too sure. We could be getting another Gravion / Zwei situation, and another trope to consider is that while we have done time travel, we haven't done a time skip.

Bravern giving Superbia his first foodgasm by penetrating him with a fish skewer is easily the Scene of the Week for me. And keeping with the theme, we also got Bravern double-fisting Burn Blades; shoutout to Mazinkaiser. I also appreciated Lulu in her Bravern bikini to balance out all the gay goings-on.

Quote:
The giant mom-says-we-have-Potemkin-at-home robot [Segnities] getting punked was pretty funny, and the inclusion of him observing the battle as a decapitated head was a great recurring bit.

I disagree with this. It appeared to me that his goal was to give Superbia a confidence boost to incite the fight with Bravern. As my fellow fan MFrontier has pointed out these Deathdrives have an otaku streak of their own, and it makes me wonder if they are a negative or opposite reaction to Smith's death and/or him becoming Bravern. After all, heroes are only as good as their villains.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:23 pm Reply with quote
They even managed to fit in a beach episode with actual romantic progression between our two leads! What peak anime.

I love how we have such an hardcore gay Mecha anime that also has Lulu in a bikini and Superbia having a foodgasm.

(They also knew people would want to see the rest of the female cast in swimsuits so they even added that as the End Card).

So Seginities is one of those Mecha Otaku who enjoy the idea of playing but has no idea what they're actually doing and everyone misreads what you do to think you're actually super intimidating...and you really just want to watch a cool show. Also, I didn't even recognize Katsuyuki Konishi until the last few moments.

Bravern and Superbia's final fight was worth the wait.

Oh of course Kenjiro Tsuda is in this. Makes me wonder who will voice the final Deathdrive. And what the final fate of Isami and Bravern will be.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:21 am Reply with quote
That was a lot of the good stuff in that finale! Hard to pick a favorite moment. Was it Isami's spontaneous hair growth once he found his hero spirit? Verum Vita who managed to look like both a RahXephon Dolem and a vibrator at the same time? The Golden Bravern form?

Seriously, this was one of the better finales I've seen. I'd happily watch more, but they wrapped it up so satisfyingly, I don't need more.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:27 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering how this would have been if it had more time to breathe. As it stands it's probably better than every animated Transformers show since Animated, and the bits dealing with the tropes of the super robot and how they get reconstructed are amazing, but I feel like it needed a bit more time than a single cour.
Nyapan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:26 am Reply with quote
I'm happy the show was made at all and I had a ton of fun with it! However I would have loved to have even one more episode because this finale was kind of rushed. The one thing I wanted is a longer reunion between Isami and Smith, they barely had time to talk and we didn't really see Isami process the fact that Smith was Bravern all this time.
I also wish Superbia stayed alive in the end.
Overall this ending doesn't detract anything from the show but I can't help imagining what could have been if they had more time.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:29 am Reply with quote
What a gloriously majestic masterpiece of a finale for one of the best Mecha shows to come out in a long while. As gloriously epic as it was gay, Bravern truly was Brave Bang.

I love how they had Fumihiko Tachikin there just to wax lyrical about magma. And then just unceremoniously blow him up. And the Final Boss is frikkin' Rie Kugimiya. Like who saw that coming?

Superbia got his heroic rival sacrifice death. I was kind of expecting they'd find some way to bring him back along with Lewis.

I like how they really doubled down on Isami as this normal dude who wanted nothing to do with the plot of this show but eventually became a 100% super robot protagonist (complete with hair) and became Bravern himself. Right down to interrupting people mid-speech.

A gold form, all the allies rallying around the hero, a Rise Sequence, transforming into a giant weapon, the excessive and long-winded attack name...so fantastic.

And of course they all end up naked by the end!
Beatdigga wrote:
I'm wondering how this would have been if it had more time to breathe. As it stands it's probably better than every animated Transformers show since Animated, and the bits dealing with the tropes of the super robot and how they get reconstructed are amazing, but I feel like it needed a bit more time than a single cour.

I feel like this definitely could've pulled off a 2-cour and given them more time to develop the supporting cast or even the Deathdrives.
RacingManiac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am Reply with quote
This show is so wacky and unexpected that it came with a few of semi-serious episodes in the end was kind of a surprise but I think the ending pulled it off. I love that its so 100% aware of its own schtick the whole time and play it completely straight(um, wrong choice of word here) is fantastic.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:46 pm Reply with quote
The finale felt a bit rushed, but I think it was still overall solid. It was fun, exciting, and pretty much a great finale to a fun ride.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see others enjoyed it so much, but it went a bit too over the top and off the rails for me.
It kind of felt like for every idea they considered having the answer about putting it in was "Yes".
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:43 pm Reply with quote
That finale was a lot of fun but still, it was a bit of a damper that the big sentient robots, which are kind of an unique thing, were basically absent for the climax. Specially Superbia, since his thing with Lulu didn't have the same kind of vibe that worked for Isami taking Smith's place. That and him being the true foreign element to the group.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6