• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Film Wraps Shooting in Mexico

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
How did a thread about Dragonball turn into this? But before it is locked I'm going to respond to Asian Guy anyways in hopes that he learns what it means for someone to be an Asian American.
Asian Guy wrote:
Oh so an Asian means someene who have to get a visa in order to live in Asia and someone who are not proud to be Asian? How super ridiculous, and what traitor will do.
I think you just claim to be Asian because you hope to get the good name of Asian peoples while you have betraying your homeland by going to other land and become part of that land by changing your nationality aknowledge by that land.
Someone who does not have patriotism or nationalism will never understand what I said such as someone who still claim he/she is part of something while he/she have abandon it and choose to go to be part of something else.

My parents were born in Vietnam but after the Vietnam war my family had to leave Vietnam to escape the communism that would ensue. They moved to the US, a country that gives priority to the immigration of refugees over the immigration of everyday foreigners, where I was born. They didn't get any visa, they had to do all of the paperwork to become American citizens through naturalization, and there is little to no hope for them to return to Vietnam and live there once again.
Are you a traitor if you were forced to move out of your home country? Am I a traitor for being born in the US when I'm 100% Vietnamese? Asian Americans still retain much of their culture through the food we eat(I eat rice and noodles everyday), the languages we speak(I can speak English and Vietnamese), and the traditions and customs we continue to celebrate(I celebrate the Lunar New Year, recieving free gas money from red envelopes until the day when I have to give out my own money). You can't forget that the white people of America are descendants of immigrants as well, European immigrants that came to the US earlier in its history. The immigrants of America are not traitors, they are people who came to the US in hopes for a better life that they could not get from their home country while still retaining the part of them that reminds them where they came from.

Anyways I'm sure there will be many threads in the future to discuss this Dragonball live-action movie. The one thing I'm concerned with is the hair. It looks like Rossum will be wearing a blue wig to play Bulma but they are going to have to use cg for Chatwin, otherwise his hair probably won't look convincing. I wouldn't want his hair to look like a stiff mess of hairspray.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Alright Asian Guy, I think you've gone just about far enough. You are not an authority to tell people what their ethnicity is or is not based on your insanely puritan views that.

You're bordering on racism here, and that is simply not going to be tolerated. You're also dragging this completely off topic at this point. These threads are in response to articles, they are not your personal soap box. Trying to provoke a user is also not going to be tolerated either, it might just be that testorschoice isn't responding to you because your insane bias and slanted viewpoints make discussing the matter with you pointless. If they don't want to respond, then they won't, trying to provoke them at this point is trolling, plain and simple.

I would really rather not lock this and give this thread back to the people who actually want to maybe discuss the article itself again. If this proceeds any further though then it's going to get locked, and frankly Asian Guy, further action may well be taken as well as you've already been warned before.

So someone who said Asian American as all Asian and All American are not an offensive thing? It is vert offensive to the peoples who are patriotism.

Back on topic, I will not reply this topic as it seems I'm the only suspect being made in here.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:

So someone who said Asian American as all Asian and All American are not an offensive thing? It is vert offensive to the peoples who are patriotism.

Back on topic, I will not reply this topic as it seems I'm the only suspect being made in here.

Hearing you say it's offensive to those people who are patriotic is just hilarious. You insult every other ethnic background claiming that Asians are just the best group of people period. You insult other Asians by claiming they aren't Asian anymore if they don't live in Asia. And you don't even specify what countries are apart of the Asia you go on about. (I doubt you even know most of the countries in Asia without looking them up online). Yet you have the nerve and audacity to mention what's offensive to people who are patriotic? You sir are a true bigot and no better then the "American filth" your little website likes to persecute. You are no better and just as racist, bigoted, hypocritical, and ignorant as all the "non-Asians" you like to speak against. I suppose by your definition I'm not Irish, despite having my grandparents be born there before immigrating to America and my father marrying another half Irish person, since I don't live there right? To that I say may your roof drip the leaden impurity obtruding from the slime slot of a Derrydinian Flat Toed Whump.

Your the only suspect being made in here because you're the only one insulting other people's ethnicity and heritage.
Jackmace Ryo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:

I will only comment a bit about this. Asian Guy, based on your previous posts, I think your most likely country of origin is actually the same as me. You have pride as an Asian but have you no pride for your home country? (I'm not saying it since I'm not 100% sure)

Frankly, I'm ashamed as a fellow Asian (FYI no, I am NOT an Asian-American. I am 100% of Asian blood+have Asian nationality+proud to be Asian) for your racist comments.

On the topic itself, I have absolutely zero expectations for this movie, but I will at least see it as it's maybe good for laughs (or have a good ass-kicking actions).
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
The only thing worse than a troll is a racist troll. Rolling Eyes This guy is the Asian version of the white supremacists.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

None of the charcters in DBZ or most anime for that matter look asian. There are some shows but for the most part, just because they have an asian name doesn't mean they are.

All who post to this thread saying stupid like that should read this: http://www.matt-thorn.com/mangagaku/faceoftheother.html

By the way, the first Transformers series is American. Only the robot designs are Japanese.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

None of the charcters in DBZ or most anime for that matter look asian. There are some shows but for the most part, just because they have an asian name doesn't mean they are.

All who post to this thread saying stupid like that should read this: http://www.matt-thorn.com/mangagaku/faceoftheother.html

By the way, the first Transformers series is American. Only the robot designs are Japanese.

Maybe you could explain why its so stupid in your own words rather than giving me a link to a essay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
It really depends on your setting. Stories and characters will vary, believe me. DBZ characters are many different nationalities, but I'm sure that Toriyama sensei didn't just do the setting of the story without some research, references and influences. Son Goku if a Chinese name in origin. So is Chaozu and Tenshinhan. Bulma isn't Japanese, and neither is Piccolo, who is Namekan. That obviously isn't Japanese. The author can have his/her characters "look" non Japanese and give them Japanese names and personalities/characteristics. A manga story can have all foreign named characters. I am not understanding the whole circus going on here.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
DB takes place in a world where there's flying cars and DINOSAURS. I'm not too worried about the character's nationalities. Wink
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
Oh so an Asian means someene who have to get a visa in order to live in Asia and someone who are not proud to be Asian? How super ridiculous, and what traitor will do.
I think you just claim to be Asian because you hope to get the good name of Asian peoples while you have betraying your homeland by going to other land and become part of that land by changing your nationality aknowledge by that land.
Someone who does not have patriotism or nationalism will never understand what I said such as someone who still claim he/she is part of something while he/she have abandon it and choose to go to be part of something else.

... LOL... oh my god....

The only thing ridiculous is you saying how an asian living in America makes them a traitor and that it changes their nationality.

I am not lying about my nationality. I don't forget what makes my native country what it is. I AM proud of being my nationality. I make something out of myself. Nothing betraying about that.

Asian Guy you must learn when to do things looking above race. By being able to, you will understand people more and go further. If you're being racist then you'll be putting someone on. It's okay to say that you like certain things about your own race. But the line is drawn somewhere. Let me make an example. I like Asian girls (yeah I said it). I find many of them to be hot and prefer to them a lot. Does that make me racist? I suppose how that gets looked at. It can be seen as a preferance. Now If I were to say that in a manner that crosses the line or get someone offended then I am. There are ways to say things that you want to express without being offensive. But that is something you will have to know how to control yourself.

fighterholic wrote:
I am not understanding the whole circus going on here.

As you can tell. Back on the second page it all started. Asian Guy said how this movie will fail because of... a certain something. That caused a stir.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
Wait... he's a guy AND he's Asian?!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Ok, now it sucks. (Set photos courtesy of Dark Horizons.)
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
that sixith pic from the bottom...is that a girl or a guy? Because if its a dude he's got a rack.

this does look pretty bad now. but...i'll still wait on the trailer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Still, it's got Budokai in it.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Good god,it looks like Mario bros and the two Mortal Kombat movies combined.
At first I thought that priest was a goomba.Hope they did their research. Rolling Eyes

Update:The pics were taken down seconds ago,12:29 P.M. Las Vegas)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7