• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
I continue that list:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (But that's because I love the extremely dark concepts beneath the benevolent looking surface. Seeing the characters go from normal to crazy is just priceless.)

Except that wasn't based on the manga, both were based off a visual novel game, and the answerfans question requests an anime that was based off a manga.

I believe I went and checked it out, the anime came out after the manga.

But my point is the manga was not the original work, so it doesn't really matter whether it was made before or after the anime, as both were adaptations of another medium.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
"If you're going to fly your dork banner with gleeful abandon around a big pack of people who just can't wait to wail on your ass for being a giant nerd, well, all I can say is you don't get to claim ignorance."

Perhaps the greatest quote in an Answerman column in quite some time. Nicely said, Zac.
During my high school years, My friends and I were(and still are) anime fans. But we didn't go telling everyone and talking about it everyday. People who wear that stuff on the sleeve and flag their fandom around are sorta asking for it. They shouldn't be picked on, but shit happens.
rinjichan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm a closet anime fan. I went through my 'rabid' fan phase in middle school with Sailor Moon and have since just let it be one of my many hobbies. I like to play tennis but I don't tell everyone as soon as I meet them, and I'm the same way with my anime/Japanese Culture interest. If it gets brought up, I won't pretend I don't know anything, but I don't like getting lumped in with the "table dwellers" at college who are a group of late 20s people at a my two year community college that wear anime/wolf t-shirts and trench coats and play Magic the Gathering instead of going to class.

I have only been to Sakura Con twice in my area because I don't feel like I fit in. I like going to industry panels, or maybe doing lite cosplay (I'd like to go as the female heroine from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl) but otherwise the crowds make me uncomfortable, and maybe this is something only female fans have to deal with, if you catch my drift.

I avoid the cosplay dramaaaaaa, because I think girls being bitchy on how much time they spent on their costumes vs you and how many pictures you get is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard of, especially suggesting that it's done for attention if you didn't make it yourself (I don't see how putting work into it negates the fact that you did it for attention or not putting work into it means you aren't doing because you love the character or think it's cute) and yes Pocky_aDDict, I think your response was ridiculously self-centered, elitest, and diva-tastic.

Seriously, some cosplayers need to just dress-up and shut up. If any of the non-fans saw you in your outfit, regardless of how long you put into it, they'd still thing you'd look like a weirdo wearing an ugly colored wig.

Last edited by rinjichan on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
rinjichan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Double post, sorry.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
That stigma against buying costumes is something I've never understood as a complete non-outsider to the whole cosplaying thing. I mean, sure, being able to sew and construct costume materials well is a commendable skill, and I've seen pictures of some really amazing fan-made costumes, but I've seen just as many pictures of obviously self-made works that are...well...absolutely terrible. A do-it-yourself attitude only goes so far if you have no talent whatsoever at what you're doing. If you have the perfect look for a certain character yet can't sew to save your life, why should you be forced to settle for a first-grade patchwork job when you can buy a fully-serviceable costume somewhere else?

And that brings up a related question: why, oh why, do some people persist in dressing up as characters that they don't physically resemble in the very least? I understand that having fun is all well and good, but no offense...if you're a woman pushing 250, you don't have any business whatsoever trying to squeeze yourself into an Eva plug suit. (That goes triple if you're a man pushing 250.) And it always seems like the people that do so have those same first-grade patchwork-job costumes that I mentioned above. There's a lot to be said for matching your body type and appearance when it comes time to select which character to dress up as. It's hard to pull off the "playing" part of the equation when everyone around you is busy snickering at you (or, in the worst case, recoiling in horror).
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
And that brings up a related question: why, oh why, do some people persist in dressing up as characters that they don't physically resemble in the very least? I understand that having fun is all well and good, but no offense...if you're a woman pushing 250, you don't have any business whatsoever trying to squeeze yourself into an Eva plug suit. (That goes triple if you're a man pushing 250.) And it always seems like the people that do so have those same first-grade patchwork-job costumes that I mentioned above. There's a lot to be said for matching your body type and appearance when it comes time to select which character to dress up as. It's hard to pull off the "playing" part of the equation when everyone around you is busy snickering at you (or, in the worst case, recoiling in horror).

Isn't that kind of mean? People Cosplay for all sorts of reasons. Just because they may look awful in an EVA Plugsuit should not automatically disqualify them from wearing said Plugsuit to a convention. Cosplaying can be about expressing one's own fandom in an outfit. It's not necessarily about other people enjoying your outfit on mere aesthetics, but more like the effort, and the courage, and the dedication.

Of course, I've never seen a 250 pound* woman wearing a Plugsuit, and I hope I'll never have to. But I still respect the right of people to dress up however they want (within bounds, Prince Harry clearly exceeded decency standards on that occasion).

Would it be too hard for people to use the metric system? Each and every one of the world's accredited scientists use it (American or not), and I don't know why everyone else doesn't make use of it either.
rinjichan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Isn't that kind of mean? People Cosplay for all sorts of reasons. Just because they may look awful in an EVA Plugsuit should not automatically disqualify them from wearing said Plugsuit to a convention. Cosplaying can be about expressing one's own fandom in an outfit. It's not necessarily about other people enjoying your outfit on mere aesthetics, but more like the effort, and the courage, and the dedication.

I think people should be able to express their fandom for whatever series or character they love and so dress up however they want. If they are comfortable enough to do that, then let them. I don't think people who are 'heavy' don't know they are heavy, and if they're wearing a costume you wouldn't recommend for their body type, it's probably because they don't care what the general populace thinks and want to do it anyway, not because they're in denial of being 250lbs.

On the other hand, regardless of size, there is an amount of the con populace that is going to dress a certain way because cons are a great place for nerds to get laid. A variety of people are going to dress less in hopes of enticing the opposite sex. This is usually why you see people in very skimpy outfits that aren't emulating any character. Random girl in short short cutoff jeans, tank top, fox ears and a tail? That signal is there for a reason.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I honestly really don't care if it comes off as mean; I'd simply prefer it if my retinas didn't have to be assaulted by the likes of Sailor Maan. One of the many (and I mean many) reasons I'd never consider cosplaying is that I don't think I look remotely like any character I've ever come across, whether it's by face or body type, so I really don't see the point in fooling myself and others by going out there with a half-assed attempt at looking like some random anime guy. I don't really see how cosplaying requires any notable degree of "courage," unless it's the courage of standing up against cracks people may make about your costume...and if you're really getting that many cracks, maybe you should have reconsidered your decision to cosplay that character in the first place.

Quote:
Would it be too hard for people to use the metric system? Each and every one of the world's accredited scientists use it (American or not), and I don't know why everyone else doesn't make use of it either.

Would it be too hard for people to allow me to use the measurement system I've used since first grade and that my country still uses officially without comment? Google has a lovely unit converter if you need it. Razz

(Oh, and I consider myself a scientist, too.)
rinjichan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

I honestly really don't care if it comes off as mean; I'd simply prefer it if my retinas didn't have to be assaulted by the likes of Sailor Maan.

Unfortunately for you, the world and anime fandom aren't full of just gorgeous people, and they aren't limited to wearing whatever it is the self-centered public think they have to or should. They're having fun, apparently at your expense.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Fine by me, so long as I can overcome the mental scarring long enough to snark at them. Razz
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

And that brings up a related question: why, oh why, do some people persist in dressing up as characters that they don't physically resemble in the very least?

But if I were to follow this idea, i'd never really be able to cosplay any characters being black and all. (not that there aren't any dark skinned anime characters...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rinjichan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Fine by me, so long as I can overcome the mental scarring long enough to snark at them. Razz

We definitely need more high-brow humorists such as yourself running around. Did you earn that high horse or were you born better than everyone else?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
But if I were to follow this idea, i'd never really be able to cosplay any characters being black and all. (not that there aren't any dark skinned anime characters...)

I didn't say that, and I wouldn't expect anyone to limit themselves like that, but if you were, say, a skinny, 6'5" male trying to pull off a portly, 5'3" female character (or, God forbid, the other way around), that's when I'd personally raise an eyebrow.

rinjichan wrote:
We definitely need more high-brow humorists such as yourself running around. Did you earn that high horse or were you born better than everyone else?

Oh, trust me, it took a lot of hard work and dedication. In this particular case, though, I'm happy to have the support of a little concept called "good taste."
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
That stigma against buying costumes is something I've never understood as a complete non-outsider to the whole cosplaying thing. I mean, sure, being able to sew and construct costume materials well is a commendable skill, and I've seen pictures of some really amazing fan-made costumes, but I've seen just as many pictures of obviously self-made works that are...well...absolutely terrible. A do-it-yourself attitude only goes so far if you have no talent whatsoever at what you're doing. If you have the perfect look for a certain character yet can't sew to save your life, why should you be forced to settle for a first-grade patchwork job when you can buy a fully-serviceable costume somewhere else?

It's just a double standard. Heck, (this site is a known place full of crap) has entire pages devoted to pointing out the dregs of the fandom, both good and bad.

Quote:

Attention, plain and simple. This is why you have tons of Narutards, Bleachers, Sucky of Suck Brigade, Final F****s/King-dumb Hearts, and God-awful Lagaan Yucko's running about; they are the most recognizable properties out there, and ergo, your gonna get noticed quite easily.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
... (this site is a known place full of crap) ...

Well, that's an interesting description.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7