• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Killing Suspect Says He Is a Precure, Kitarō Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so this does sound like blame the entertainment. However, the man, otaku or not, is insane. But the reason the murderer being an anime otaku has caused quite a scandal, is probably because most psychopaths actually do not have normal interests. I learned this in psychology class. The fact that this man, who had a normal interest (many in Japan watch anime) and yet murdered a little girl shook some people up, because they figure if you're an anime fan, you're too preoccupied with anime to plan something like this. That's how people think sometimes. They figure if you like something normal, or if you have an excellant job, you're a good person. (This is not necessarily so.)
Then again, maybe it is entertainment. Another thing I learned in psychology, some people can't watch or read certain things because they become easily influenced, either thinking it's real, or that they can do what the person in the book/TV show/movie can do etc. This usually refers to schizophrenic people. Perhaps this man was schizophrenic.
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
This usually refers to schizophrenic people. Perhaps this man was schizophrenic.
Interesting you brought that up. I saw a documentary (Sundace Channel?) that there was a mental condition that was finally acknowledge in Japan about a decade ago. I wonder how people dealt with that in Japan before then.

I totally see you with the misguided perception of stereotypical murderers. Most (serial) killers I read about are very calm, mild mannered everyday people. Something makes them tick in the brain to commit the act, but it isn't often I come across cases such as a book influencing someone to travel a great distance to gun down a Beatle, you know? If it wasn't one thing it would have been something else. People kill each other over relationships and money everyday. Now, that's crazy to me.

Then again, I read articles of someone trying to amend 2D marriages to anime characters so it goes both ways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

I know this is a Westerner's understanding of the criminal mind and might not necessary apply to a Japanese man but it gives the impression that what entertainment a criminal is interested in is ultimately little more than a symptom of the real motivation, not the motivation itself.

So then, loli fans show the symptom?!? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6