• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star Anime; Strike Witches, Steins;Gate Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'd be satisfied with a quick pressing of a few hundred copies of Lucky Star Vol. 6, similar to the way they put out singles of final volume(s) of shows like Karin, Pumpkin Scissors, Welcome to the NHK, and Kanon that they picked up from ADV and Geneon.

Obviously the main difference between those two examples is that ADV and Geneon never released the final volumes of those before they went caput, whereas Bandai did complete Lucky Star. Granted, I do wish that they had at least released that last volume with a reversable cover to display the crayon drawing artwork so all 6 volumes were uniform in looks, but I guess it must have been that much of a letdown that they couldn't justify spending any more on it than they already had.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Took them long enough to get Haruhi, though I'm surprised that they didn't get the movie
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I really don't care about Freezing Vibration. The rest of the anime, though? I'm excited about them because I either plan to watch them or watched them and liked/loved them. I'm especially excited about The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star, which are actually my favorite KyoAni anime. I have Volume 1 of the DVD for both series, though, so I don't know whether I should buy the Funimation releases or not. Oh, and since the Lucky Star OVA was licensed, too, does that mean it will finally get a dub?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
Stop licensing stuff, and start releasing stuff you licensed three years ago. :/

It isn't as if one usually has anything to do with the other.

Failure to have released long ago licensed titles usually are down to the publisher's failure to deliver the proper materials in a more timely manner.

I am curious, however, as to what specific title(s) you are referring to that were licensed three years ago?
Manwards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably be grabbing all of these. I'm one of the few nutjobs who actually thought "Endless Eight" was a work of absolute genius. I love time travel stories, and "EE" is quite literally the only time travel story to trap the viewer within its time loop, as well as the characters.

Week after week, we hoped they would escape the loop and were dismayed when they didn't... just like Kyon himself. I remember those two months back in 2009 so fondly. It's something that a DVD release can never recreate. The utter meta quality of it blew me away at the time. And they never skimped on the gorgeous visuals either, especially in the later episodes. I personally think the hatred for that arc is a bit narrow-minded and missing the point entirely, but like I said... I'm a nutjob. Anime hyper
Stealth00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
License rescue The Girl Who Leapt Through Time!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Really glad to see the Strike Witches film finally picked up was wondering if that would ever happen, and the Steins;Gate one.

Good to see the rest of the rights picked up on some of those series too.

L stole my cookie! wrote:
If Funi rescues Gundam from Bandai entertainment they will be my licensing hero.

Agreed.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
While I am thrilled to see the Steins Gate movie officially licensed, I'm very curious to find out how it'll be released. If they're localizing the collector's edition, it'll be the quickest 100 bucks I'll drop in some time...even with my imported Blu-Ray front and center on display.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
License rescue The Girl Who Leapt Through Time!

I don't understand the love for this movie. The whole climax of the film is based around a moment of "plot induced stupidity".

Manwards wrote:
I'll probably be grabbing all of these. I'm one of the few nutjobs who actually thought "Endless Eight" was a work of absolute genius. I love time travel stories, and "EE" is quite literally the only time travel story to trap the viewer within its time loop, as well as the characters.

Week after week, we hoped they would escape the loop and were dismayed when they didn't... just like Kyon himself. I remember those two months back in 2009 so fondly. It's something that a DVD release can never recreate. The utter meta quality of it blew me away at the time. And they never skimped on the gorgeous visuals either, especially in the later episodes. I personally think the hatred for that arc is a bit narrow-minded and missing the point entirely, but like I said... I'm a nutjob. Anime hyper

I too love time travel stories. I love Steins;Gate and recently read, and loved, Brian Lee O'Malley's "Seconds" (which spoiler[technically may not be time travel]), but Endless Eight did me in.

I first watched the Haruhi anime in 2012. Have since rewatched it, but only watch the first and last episode of Endless Eight. The first time I watched, I only got through the first 2 and then jumped to the last one. Maybe I should sit down and try to work through all 8 episodes, as I did notice the differences that were shown and know I'm obviously missing some more scenes that happen in the 5 eps I've never watched. Laughing

I've been reading through the novels, and was surprised to see that the story is only 50 pages and does a run through once, while mentioning some of the differences experienced in terms of the jobs etc.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I've been reading through the novels, and was surprised to see that the story is only 50 pages and does a run through once, while mentioning some of the differences experienced in terms of the jobs etc.

I guess the anime staff were really going for "show don't tell" in making the Endless Eight episodes.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
With Disappearance, I highly doubt we'll see any announcement until Funimation sees how well the series sells. The license for it is very likely fairly pricey, so if I were them I'd stick to trying to option it.

And with Endless Eight, I heard somewhere that the decision came back to bite whoever made it behind the scenes, but they still wasted six episodes that could've been put to use.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:57 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

I guess the anime staff were really going for "show don't tell" in making the Endless Eight episodes.

I found it kind of funny that, the variations that I assume some episodes explored, were just in a kind of throw away line near the end of the chapter.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
I hope they do something fancy for the Steins;Gate film release that's more akin to what they've done for stuff like Attack on Titan and Lain than what they've done for the Evangelion films.
Violynne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is a small bummer. I'd never thought I'd see the bluray release of Lucky Star in the US once Bandai left, so I imported it from Japan. Not that I regret it, but I could have saved a few dollars to pick up the rest of the licenses (and probably still have change for a cup of coffee).

Good news for those who didn't get the chance or couldn't afford it. The Lucky Star bluray is an upscale, if anyone was curious to know.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Obviously the main difference between those two examples is that ADV and Geneon never released the final volumes of those before they went caput, whereas Bandai did complete Lucky Star. Granted, I do wish that they had at least released that last volume with a reversable cover to display the crayon drawing artwork so all 6 volumes were uniform in looks, but I guess it must have been that much of a letdown that they couldn't justify spending any more on it than they already had.
True, and that's why I'm not holding out hope that Funi will actually do that. But the print run for Vol. 6 was so low that it's almost as if Bandai didn't finish it... Laughing

Violynne wrote:
Well, this is a small bummer. I'd never thought I'd see the bluray release of Lucky Star in the US once Bandai left, so I imported it from Japan. Not that I regret it, but I could have saved a few dollars to pick up the rest of the licenses (and probably still have change for a cup of coffee).

Good news for those who didn't get the chance or couldn't afford it. The Lucky Star bluray is an upscale, if anyone was curious to know.
You're being awfully trusting that Funi will actually release the Blu-Rays over here, considering that the article doesn't specify their release plans. Given the involvement of anti-reverse-importation warriors Kadokawa and Funi's past track record with these kinds of late-00s BD titles getting DVD-only releases (Sacred Blacksmith, Index I, Railgun, Ookami-san, etc.), I wouldn't put away those imports quite yet. Or even if we just look at KyoAni BD upscales (which also include the 2006 Haruhi eps), we haven't seen any Air or Kanon BDs from Funi either, even though it's been years since the JP releases. Assuming they still have those shows in the first place, anyway.

Of course, even if Bandai had stuck around, I wouldn't have counted on Blu-Rays from them for Haruhi and Lucky Star either, seeing as how they never got around to releasing BDs for some of their flagship titles like Code Geass and Gundam 00.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8