• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kumamiko - Girl meets Bear

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm curious as to how this was received in Japan.
Looking at matome sites, it seems that generally people were bemused by the finale ("Why the heck is this portrayed as a happy ending!?") and the few defences didn't seem particularly enthusiastic about it ("If they had stayed faithful to the source there wouldn't really be a conclusion"; "Well, it is a good point that some people just aren't cut out for living in the city"; "Given the characters' personalities, what kind of ending were you even expecting if not this?"). The poll on whether this was a good finale or not at the bottom of this page is more than 80% in favour of "not".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
I guess it's comforting that seeing it as a Bad End is not just a cultural thing. Smile

Reading through the comment gibberish via google translate of your link, it looks like quite a few people keep mentioning horror, psychiatric help, brainwashing, criminals and the like (and a few mentions of Hinamizawa Syndrome! Not even I would go that far. Wink ) and I think a couple people brought up that the village was cursed, which I would agree with (if that's what they said). Hard to tell though, since google can't differentiate between city/town and Machi. Smile

One interesting comment (if it's even close) suggested that Yoshio was also delusional about having rocks thrown at him. Even for Machi, the ancient punishment of stoning is an odd delusion to have. If both of them had the same hallucination, it might imply that the mountain god is actively messing with the minds of the entire village to make sure they won't leave... ::cue cheerful music::
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
One interesting comment (if it's even close) suggested that Yoshio was also delusional about having rocks thrown at him. Even for Machi, the ancient punishment of stoning is an odd delusion to have. If both of them had the same hallucination, it might imply that the mountain god is actively messing with the minds of the entire village to make sure they won't leave... ::cue cheerful music::

So there's a possibility Yoshio wasn't actually pelted with stones? There goes the one thing about the ending I liked.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
I know, right? Very Happy
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:24 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
At this point, I'd honestly like to believe that this was intentionally designed as a psychological horror series, but I think the horror elements stem from the original author (assuming this is a faithful adaptation) having no credibility on the subjects of social anxiety and healthy human relationships. I mean, the entire series can almost be viewed as an extended study on child abuse.

Since the manga is still being serialized, I suppose there's hope for a happy ending down the line, but I have a feeling the author's idea of a happy ending is at odds with my own.

To be fair, from what I've heard, the last two episodes have little to do with the author's original work.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
^ Seems to be the case. The ending was just one of a growing number of issues I had with the show, though.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:43 am Reply with quote
I saw some posts on the possibility that the author and the studio/production committee had some sorts of falling out or something. There wasn't any source provided in any of those posts, but those users pointed out to another infamous case -- Anno Hideaki and the adaptation of Kare Kano.

At this point, I think it seems plausible.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
@Hameyadea

Well, it would be most interesting if this was indeed a revenge ending, it was only the last 1/4 of the episode that made people jaws drop and with the tight schedules anime productions have it would be relatively easy for the mangaka to have expected a different ending, heck, they might have made an extra last minute voice actor recording session so the mangaka would not know about the bad ending until it was broadcast. Therefore, all the people thinking of boycotting the series would be doing exactly what the production committee wants, to throws stones to the mangaka so he returns to his village.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Not going to lie, I'll probably still buy Kumamiko anyway (assuming I have money when it's out on DVD/Blu over here, but I'm also assuming the western release won't be until some point in 2017 at the earliest).

I'm not so much thinking in terms of rewarding/punishing the anime producers for a "bad" ending compared to the ongoing manga's lack of one, I just want to own the 9 or so episodes I really enjoyed on physical media.

Also, I'm going to raise the possibility that one of the two OVAs, presumably the one on the second volume (it seems to be getting an unusual-for-Japan release with 6 episodes of the TV series per volume), will "undo" the ending of the TV series. The article from April doesn't say whether they'll be full original episodes or just shorts, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I read elsewhere that the writer deleted his Twitter account and their connection to this series was removed from their Wiki page. I didn't follow up to validate this though. Funny, if true.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
I've found Masume (spelt as "Masme") Yoshimoto's Tumblr but did he ever have a Twitter? I tried looking for one about a month or so ago but couldn't find one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Yoshimoto is the mangaka. Pierre Sugiura was one of the scriptwriters, and he deleted his Twitter.

Yoshimoto apparently weighed in on the finale on Tumblr, but that was also deleted. Basically he said that he left everything to the writers, trusting they were professionals, and so didn't do the script checks they submitted (see Shirobako! Smile ) He did not like Yoshio's lines in the finale, but didn't address the other issues. Given all the social politics and formalities in the anime hierarchy, that he said that much at all, suggests he was pretty pissed. Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
^ Yah, I'm getting a definite "Stephen King on Kubrick's The Shining" vibe here.

Or, to a lesser degree, a "George Lucas on Star Wars VII" vibe.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
^ Except that the dissatisfaction is actually justified in this case.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
^ I wasn't necessarily implying that either of those "adaptation/new production disliked by original creator" cases weren't justified, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8