• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
As much as I liked the first episode of this new season, I feel like the show should worry more about fleshing out its main characters rather than focusing on the old cast. However, I do like that Madoka and co. now have an actual reason to be a part of this story (other than service), especially considering how random Mami and Sayaka's appearance felt last season.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I love seeing Yachiyo being so done with everyone's bullshit. She was easily the most compelling character last season, so I'm glad this episode focused on her and her despair over her wish and the loss of Iroha.

Still, it was hard for me to feel invested in Mifuyu since I don't really care about her. All I remember is being annoyed by her character back in season 1, always acting like a victim and running away and giving vague answers every time Yachiyo or someone else asked her a question. So instead of feeling bad for her, I was rooting for Yachiyo to give her a good ol' mahou shoujo beatdown Laughing

Also, I know everyone loved the fight's animation, but I honestly could not tell what was going most of the time. Everything was happening so fast that it was impossible for me to follow.

That giant bird looked cool though.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Yes! I loved what this episode did to flesh out Iroha. Her fear of never seeing Ui again and losing her new friends felt very palpable, and I was rooting for Yachiyo when she was trying to knock some sense into Iroha. That last scene with the two of them was incredibly heartwarming too.

My only complaint is that I agree with James in that you could take Kuroe out of the story and nothing would change.

James Beckett wrote:
Will Magia Record ever have the guts to just let these two obviously-more-than-friends kiss already?

I'm not sure how I feel about shipping these two since Iroha is 15 and Yachiyo is 19, but either way, considering PMMM never had the guts to let Madoka and Homura kiss, I doubt our new leads will ever get that close Laughing

Btw, don't forget to check out the new ED! It's beautiful. And there was also a short post-credits scene with Madoka.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleasantly surprised by this season so far.
Mifuyu as a character is still pretty bad (and her sudden witchification... eh, game mechanics), but the rawness of Yachiyo's grief was intense, the first episode was pure fanservice in the good way and this latest one has done for its main character in 20 minutes what it couldn't do in 12 episodes, I can finally care about Iroha beyond her very cute looks.

I heard this is mostly anime original and if they aren't just adapting a gacha game's overcomplex and overstretched story... well, no wonder it's so good now Laughing
Although on gacha stuff, at the end of the battle did Yachiyo just turn Kuroe into a weapon Soul Eater style like it were a normal and logical thing to do? What the hell is the game doing to make its chibi battles more impressive?
The girls also getting their soul gems clouded over and over just in time to get a power up when most needed also feels very gamey. Let's not forget that such moments in the original series were basically game over and carried heavy dramatic weight.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:40 pm Reply with quote
side note none of this was in the game other then some hints at were things are going.
also in the game a girl could give her attack to another and give that girl a boost a system known as connect the anime is taking that as a super move of sorts here when girls hold hands.
Side note the train in Iroha's dream is a reference to Night on the Galactic Railroad the book from which Iroha and Yachiyo doples are named among many other Kenji Miyazawa name drops
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
So yea the girls in the bottles are supporting gacha MGs from the game one is a 8 year old oh god.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
So basically Magius has solved nothing and they still need to hunt witches to cleanse soul gems? They jus seem to be more... efficient about it.
And for claiming to hate Kyubey so much, Mitama very much mirrored him with her concealed information.

Anyway, some cool animation bouts this episode... but the Kaede fight scene was such a waste. Like it's obvious it was hard and costly to make, so many different frames and stuff, but the excessive high pace and key frames not lignering for nearly enough time made that scene completely unreadable. If I didn't oause every few miliseconds I'd just be able to say that the witch was formed, then debris flew around with color blobs representing the other girls squeezing between them and suddenly the witch is pinned.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I think there is a school of thought that the goal of animation is to have more stuff moving on a screen. The more stuff moving, the better. This show seems to be of that opinion (as are most reviewers). As for using animation to tell a story? Not a priority.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Iroha memory's are all messed because of ui not being there so anything she did with her is in a haze even now she has slowly been rembering her role in all of this i.e. her dream world the other hint is that Nemu started to call Iroha big sister when she was giving Kuroe her orders earlier
False_Mirror

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
>I'm 90% certain that this is the very first time it's been mentioned
This was definitely mentioned in the first season and plenty of times.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
So we are doing the end of chapters 7,8 and 9 at the same time. 3 lines no waiting. Also the girl trying to kill Iroha spoiler[became a hero and then died in the mobile games 2nd arc and seems likely to kill off Kuroe]fudge ME!!
gpanthony

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
So we are doing the end of chapters 7,8 and 9 at the same time. 3 lines no waiting. Also the girl trying to kill Iroha spoiler[became a hero and then died in the mobile games 2nd arc and seems likely to kill off Kuroe]fudge ME!!

Ah, spoiler[poor Ryo. I actually liked her...]
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Yea me as well I do wonder if arc 2 will get a anime]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
We're back to adapting the mobage content, right? These two past episodes haven't felt nearly as focused or poignant as the three before.

Anyway, creating a witch and feeding her more witches to extend the doppel system worldwide. That sounds an awful lot like extending a witch bartrier worldwide... which coincidentlaly is what Kriemhild Gretchen, Madoka's witch form, does.
But the system seems to be based on feeding the megawitch other witches, which must be harvested somehow... probably by bottling any and every dissident. After all, she must "share her rage with everyone that isn't them". They didn't solve QB's system, they just industrialized it.
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
kinda sort of in way? the thing is we are adapiting the back half of 3 chapters at the same time with the cast in all sorts of places where in game they were mostly together or two groups hell one supporting character has not even shown up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9