• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Anime That Need a Reboot, Now!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

Spiral

Yes, please. I should finish the manga...thanks for the reminder.

Kazemon, you have good taste. xD But did Sugisaki actually finish D.N.Angel? I hated the anime ending...but she has the tendency of dropping projects...and I remember it was on hiatus for a looooooooong time. Confused

=3

Well it's been in serialization since last year. She continued it. And it seems like it will be finished because they announced they would do a "complete" manga release in omnibuses later on.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Since I loved the novel and manga and utterly hated the anime, I would love to see a no. 6 reboot that stays faithful to the novel.
Also possibly an X/1999 one ( yes I know it’s incomplete in manga form and that CLAMP will probably never complete it, but Seichiro and Subaru were probably my favorites in the manga and they spoiler[get killed within the first few minutes in the anime,..or is it the movie?] Anyway, I feel they need more justice done.
RaiKageRyu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe no one mentioned the original Gundam. That will be my #1 wish for a reboot.

Aside from that... Claymore and Tsukihime are what floats to the top of my head..
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Never going to happen list: (it used to have Fruit Basket on it, so one can hope)
Haven't seen anyone mention GUNSLINGER GIRL. The botched second season in terms of production quality (the story adapted was somewhat passable) was very painful to sit through, especially knowing the amazing quality of manga.
Glad to see someone mention Shugo Chara. This show was done by PEACH-PIT, which tells you that they explore tougher subjects. But the anime dumbed it down so much, I don't even......
Same thing with Gakuen Alice. Total disregard for the darker elements in the manga.
Roses of Versailles by Sayo Yamamoto or Kunihiko Ikuhara as mentioned by others.

Maybe it will happen list:
SLAYERS
Twelve Kingdoms

Don't do it list:
Darling in the Franxx. This show should serve as an example for how high budget and immense talent will NOT automatically result in good stories. And no, it didn't started to struggle later on in the series, it started to struggle by episode 7 at the latest.
Saiunkoku Monogatari. I know how the light novel ending is. It goes against the central theme of the story. So please, leave the anime adaptations alone. Also, a new adaptation would still need Yang Bang-ean to compose the score. So, please leave this alone.

I'll add one to both your Don't Do It and Never Gonna Happen Lists: CLANNAD.

Who the hell thought it was a wise idea to want a reboot of Clannad? The show is perfect the way it is! Someone didn't pay attention to the visual novel or something. It does NOT need a reboot.

Disclaimer: The opinions are subject to debate and are hereby those of crazieanimefan1's...and possibly others.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

You know, while I'm lazing in Fantasy Land, I'd really love to see Ace of Diamond redone, only this time they could actually animate it. It's a sports anime, so I don't think it's too much to ask to see some movement besides hair or sleeves blowing in the wind to cover an otherwise static image. But never in a million years will this happen, and I'll call it lucky if we even get the rest of the manga "animated," so dream on, me. Very Happy

I would say just Act II (season 3) needs redoing. The first 2 seasons were animated very well, most likely due to Production I.G's involvement with Madhouse. Last year from March to May, I binge-watched the series to catch up to Act II, and I vividly remember being confused at the animation changes. I soon found out that only Madhouse was animating Act II (I assume Production I.G were unavailable between Run With the Wind and working on Haikyu!! S4), and while I had gripes with it, I felt blessed to have another season of a show I had come to love in a short period of time. I also would love another season, preferably animated like the previous seasons. I need to see Sawamura's continued growth (you guys know the meme Wink )

Pandora Hearts 1000000% needs a remake. I don't remember the ending (not sure if that's a goo thing or a bad thing), but I don't think it solved anything. There's so much more story left untold.

Same for 07-Ghost about untold story content, but that veers more into continuation territory. Spiral squad, rise up! I'd also go for Flame of Recca, Black Cat and Zombie Loan.

About Reborn!, I also have to think it should be more of a continuation. The first part with the gags is canon, hell they even took one or two things out (i.e. Naito Longchamp) in the anime, so I think dropping the gags from a potential reboot would be a disservice to the manga. If they had to drop fillers in a reboot, it would be the ones in the middle of the Future Arc. In the off-chance there is a reboot, I would like to petition for the gang to spoiler[actually have the motorbikes shown in the manga for the Choice battle, and not the hoverbikes used in the anime]. Also, the Varia arc was the best arc, don't @ me lol. Squalo stole almost every scene he appeared in, I love that chaotic man Laughing
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:56 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

Who the hell thought it was a wise idea to want a reboot of Clannad? The show is perfect the way it is! Someone didn't pay attention to the visual novel or something. It does NOT need a reboot.

While I don't think Clannad will get a reboot, I do think it will need a reboot to do Ishihara (director) justice. To be clear, it already did the visual novel "justice".

The whole point of the visual novel is for the player to get what to enjoy every ending possible. The first season was clearly aiming to cater towards a portion of the audience who wanted to have Tomoya get/play with his harem. So "justice" was achieved for the visual novel.

But Ishihara (director) and Shimo (screenwriter) were aiming to pull off a thought-provoking story with tough questions asked. You can see them do this in the first season, but juxtaposing with all the slice-of-life stuff makes the entire first season difficult to be taken seriously. While they largely managed to pull it together in the second season, which speaks to their ability to create even under corporate demands, it falls in the shadow of the first season's unevenness. Ishihara was short-ended by corporate needs.

No need to say this out loud but Kyoto Animation needs money. It cannot just be about creativity. KyoAni needs to play towards their audience to make money. Without money, there won't be any room for creativity to begin with. KyoAni is not Maruyama Masao.

In my world, Clannad would get a 39-episode reboot focused on the Tomoya-Nagisa storyline with significant reduction on all the other characters. Ishihara doesn't even have to change a lot of themes he brought up originally, it would make for a more compelling story overall. All other Tomoya storylines can be fulfilled in 10-12 episode one-cour stories on their own. This way, they can make money and make a better adaptation.

It probably have not escaped your notice that I don't like anime to have fluff. If you think the slice-of-life stuff in the first season is essential to Clannad, then I think we will have to disagree on this point.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:21 am Reply with quote
Maybe I got another one for my list:

DRAMAtical Murder

Let's put it like this, if we can have The Titan's Bride and they do two different versions, we can probably have the different versions of Aoba and the routes...plus a better English Dub, the first batch, except for Clear's VA, just sucked.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

While I don't think Clannad will get a reboot, I do think it will need a reboot to do Ishihara (director) justice. To be clear, it already did the visual novel "justice".

The whole point of the visual novel is for the player to get what to enjoy every ending possible. The first season was clearly aiming to cater towards a portion of the audience who wanted to have Tomoya get/play with his harem. So "justice" was achieved for the visual novel.

But Ishihara (director) and Shimo (screenwriter) were aiming to pull off a thought-provoking story with tough questions asked. You can see them do this in the first season, but juxtaposing with all the slice-of-life stuff makes the entire first season difficult to be taken seriously. While they largely managed to pull it together in the second season, which speaks to their ability to create even under corporate demands, it falls in the shadow of the first season's unevenness. Ishihara was short-ended by corporate needs.

No need to say this out loud but Kyoto Animation needs money. It cannot just be about creativity. KyoAni needs to play towards their audience to make money. Without money, there won't be any room for creativity to begin with. KyoAni is not Maruyama Masao.

In my world, Clannad would get a 39-episode reboot focused on the Tomoya-Nagisa storyline with significant reduction on all the other characters. Ishihara doesn't even have to change a lot of themes he brought up originally, it would make for a more compelling story overall. All other Tomoya storylines can be fulfilled in 10-12 episode one-cour stories on their own. This way, they can make money and make a better adaptation.

It probably have not escaped your notice that I don't like anime to have fluff. If you think the slice-of-life stuff in the first season is essential to Clannad, then I think we will have to disagree on this point.

Well, second season was the better of the two, I'll say that, but I do agree the first seemed slightly rushed. Plus I'd love to know what the illness was that Nagisa had. I've read so many theroies, but no one has said for certain what it was and I'd like to see that. Now on this new story of Clannad, the one where Tomoya is with the other girl, now that one might also have anime potential as a side story. It's got a whole new visual novel too. It's like their "After Story" as well.

As for fluff, well, the slice of life stuff does have some element to the storyline, yes. However, it's not all over the place like some can be. It's evened out and all. So in my mind, it can be essential, or it doesn't have to be. It depends on how it flows and creates a meaningful storyline that is needed.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:42 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:

Saiunkoku Monogatari. I know how the light novel ending is. It goes against the central theme of the story. So please, leave the anime adaptations alone. Also, a new adaptation would still need Yang Bang-ean to compose the score. So, please leave this alone.

Wait, what happens at the end of the light novels?
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:51 am Reply with quote
[quote="MisterMister"]Que up another for wanting a Reborn reboot
dark13 wrote:
Mister I actually posted this in page 2 but "reborn to this day is still VERY much popular to the point the japan did a poll for " 5 Manga that Define Myself" Guess what made the top 10 https://twitter.com/inoueart/status/1249735988391202821

AND lets not forget the anime industry's 100th anniversary Poll ranking REBORN ranked 64 out of a 100 shows https://myanimelist.net/news/50582644

and then there is the stage play Like it or not Katekyo Hitman reborn is an iconic legendary series that still holds relevance to this day now should the series get a remake or a sequel ? I think it should get a sequel since that's what the japanese audience have been asking for as well evidence being this hash tag started by them back in 2012 which is still active even today #リボーン2期希望"

So your actually Right even now REBORN has an impact to the anime industry especially in japan I do think if REBORN does come back I can see Viz or even FUnimation trying to get streaming rights because pretty much at this Point Katekyo Hitman reborn is an iconic series THERE is a reason why it lasted 203 episodes and 42 Volumes most author would be happy to just get 10 volumes and 13 episodes BUT NOT in Reborn's case
Wink
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:45 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
The Future arc give as Gokudera vs Gamma and Yamamoto vs genkishi.

Edit oh and Tsuna meeting spoiler[ Vongola Primo for the first time] if any thing I listed why the Future arc is one of the best Arcs)

Not saying it didn't have some good moments, but overall it was a pile of wasted potential. It was definitely the point of Reborn! where the series started DBZ powerleveling. And if you're okay with that, good for you. But for me, that's definitely bad writing.

spoiler[That one point where FOUR different people fight Genkishi, including both past AND future Hibari. Then he comes back and Yamamoto whoops him easily in their final fight, and for no reason other than 'the mains are stronger than everyone from before now', which only really feels like everyone was really weak before, which obviously isn't true.

And then SURPRISE he wasn't a REAL Funeral Wreath, whatever the hell that means. Then the story introduces the actual real Funeral Wreaths just as the arc is wrapping up and suddenly you're expected to care about these new villains. Eugh.]
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:30 am Reply with quote
^ agree to disagree then I actually enjoyed spoiler[ Genkishi fighting pretty much everyone] andspoiler[ Yammamoto finally getting his revenge match since at the time he first fought Genkishi it was very clear wasn't going to stand a chance]spoiler[ also] Choice arc pretty much had an outcome nobody saw coming spoiler[I remember the first time I saw Tsuna's side lose my jaw dropped] Darn you just made me realize how epic choice was again Time for me to rewatch the series again Wink
DjangoDCCX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, and the Bleach anime left out its entire final story arc. I don't see THAT show on this list. For that matter, several fans considered Reborn to be much better as a gag series than the run-of-the-mill fighting series it became, again just like Bleach pre-Soul Society. If they like My Hero Academia so much, they should have just stuck to My Hero Academia instead of fantasizing about how much better (not) every show would be if it was just like My Hero Academia.

Chobits, as reviewed on this very website, is a show where
Quote:
"the persocoms are perfect women, stripped clean of everything that makes real women less than perfect servants to men—that is, one might say, everything that makes women human."
After all, if there's one show that deserves a reboot, it's the one built on the same male fantasy premise as a dime-a-dozen harem show that was only bad because of filler and animation quality and nothing else.

Come to think of it, Berserk is the only other series on this list that isn't shōnen or shojo. You think maybe they've set their standards too low? Of course popular mid-2000s anime targeting those demographics would feel slightly outdated compared to what we got now.

A much better candidate would have been Black Butler, if only to satisfy fans who didn't like the anime-exclusive setting of the first two seasons. It's that rare shōnen series that feels almost as sophisticated as the stereotypical seinen drama and would have benefited if it had more manga material to work with.

I'll also throw in Yu-Gi-Oh because, unlike Chobits, its first and final seven volumes had a unique premise and a much different feel to them then the card game driven franchise it would become. In fact, for all the franchise's popularity, Yu-Gi-Oh never received a proper anime adaptation. Considering how 2011's Hunter x Hunter and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood turned out, I can only imagine how much better Yu-Gi-Oh would be if it got the same treatment. It still wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but at least it would be better than the majority of what the franchise has given us these past few years.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:31 am Reply with quote
Voted for Elfen Lied. Now there's a great premise that got a lame anime. It could have been so much darker and more chilling, instead of the misplaced fan service that it got.

Also voted for Tsukihime. I'm in a minority that I actually like the anime that we got, and found it atmospheric, interesting, and it didn't pander to audience sensibilities. But it was made on the cheap, and it felt half-finished. I'd love to see it get the Ufotable treatment.

And voted for Gunsmith Cats, as I agree that an OVA was just not enough for a unique, stylish, and gorgeous anime.

In the same vein, added Cyber City Oedo 808 to the list. A great premise, a wonderful future world design, and three of my favourite OVA episodes of all time, and it deserves to be so much more than just an OVA.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:18 am Reply with quote
MisterMister wrote:
I'll say this to start. Reborn has always felt like the black sheep of Jump. As some have pointed out and even the video KHR has had an impact in the anime world despite things like the story or the ending but it always feels like it never got the recognition it deserves in the anime community compared to other series especially the Big 3 during it's run.

For a like a good few years while it was running it seemed like every other Jump series was always in some sort of spot light while it felt like KHR was sitting in the back burner and the western anime companies didn't help either. Viz only published 16 volumes. No dubbing company touched it during the licensing bubble days OR the licensing rebirth. Discotek literally just licensed it for home release just lat year. Think about all the other Jump series that came to the US in some way before Reborn. From Buso Rekin to Bobobo. From Jojo to Food Wars. From Eyeshield to Prince of Tennis. From Black Clover to D Gray-man. Reborn was left in the dust compared to others. A real kicker was the game Jump force where Tsuna was completely denied a roster spot.

I tend to see this from the hardcore Reborn! fanbase: A sense that this series has never been given any respect. Yes, a manga that ran for literally as many volumes as Dragon Ball, had an anime that aired for just over 200 episodes, & constantly sells merchandise like crazy gets no respect.

It's not hard to tell why Reborn! didn't become a major hit in North America. First, Viz's release stopped because it just wasn't selling, and after a point Viz decided to trim the fat with titles that weren't selling; Reborn! was far from the only Jump manga to get that fate (see: Gintama, Bastard!!, Kurohime, etc.). You can't deny that the first section of the series, though enjoyable in its own right, isn't exactly something that will instantly hook potential readers before it moves into being more of an action series. Also, if the manga bombed like it did, then why in the hell would anyone want to bother with the anime, especially when it just kept going & going & going & going.

Also, you bring up a bunch of other Jump anime, but let's really examine these:
Buso Rekin: Only 26 episodes, which helps, and I don't think it was a major hit, anyway.
Bobobo: Toei got it a TV slot, sure, but it too didn't get a complete (& good) release until literally just the past year, just like Reborn!.
Jojo: People seem to forget, but JoJo wasn't an instant hit over here. Viz's original release of Part 3 was a notorious bomb, and the first season of the anime was actually a late arrival legally, as it originally was fansubbed as it aired. Still, JoJo's unique & wild style gives it an instant appeal that Reborn! lacks at first, but one can argue that it just got lucky with the latest anime adaptation.
Food Wars & Black Clover: These both got simulcasted from the very start, as that's when it aired. You know what also eventually got simulcasted? Reborn!, starting in 2009. Sure, it wasn't simulcasted from the start of the show, but such a concept didn't exist in 2006. Still, Reborn! was one of the first anime to even get this kind of treatment.
Eyeshield & Prince of Tennis: Both of these anime were notorious bombs & were never finished on home video. Hell, Prince of Tennis' anime doesn't even have a complete English translation, officially! That's a point in Reborn!'s favor, since it at least did get a complete translation AND release.
D Gray-man: Also another initial bomb, as FUNimation didn't even bother to touch the second half of the original anime until D.Gray-man Hallow debuted.

Trust me, I get the annoyance Reborn! fans have when it comes to feeling like others either ignore or downplay their favorite manga/anime done by Akira Amano. After all, I'm a giant fan of Masami Kurumada, which is just nothing but sadness & depression for an English-speaking fan... and Saint Seiya isn't even my favorite work of his! I honestly prefer Ring ni Kakero 1, the anime adaptation of which came out roughly around the time Reborn! was airing (2004, 2006, 2010, & 2011), but got absolutely ignored by every single company & fan... So, trust me, I fully understand where you're coming from. Still, while Reborn! started getting simulcasted in 2009, do you know what RnK1's 3rd & 4th seasons got in 2010 & 2011?

Absolutely nothing. Neither of them got simulcasted, and any fansub effort stopped partway into Season 3, with Season 4 still never getting even a glimpse of an English translation. But, sure, Reborn! is the one that people are sleeping on & casting off like some abandoned child. Look, I'm not trying to belittle the Reborn! fandom or anything like that, but I do feel that fans for that series (at least when it comes to the anime) wound up getting a really good deal out of everything, and they should be happy that they even got that.

If the worst you can say is "We don't think enough people watched this anime that god a complete English translation, eventually got simulcasted, & was even given a complete home video release," then I think that's pretty damn good, and I do hope you all do at least get a "Final Chapter" anime continuation. Could you throw some of that luck my way for Ring ni Kakero 1?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9