• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Confirms Intent to Publish Manga Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macloud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
The only way I would ever touch another Tokyopop publication is if they fired Stu Levy. I mean completely cut him off, never allow him to set foot in the facility again, never again allowed to even have contact with a single current employee. If Tokyopop does that, then I'd be willing to give them another chance.

THIS!!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
macloud wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
The only way I would ever touch another Tokyopop publication is if they fired Stu Levy. I mean completely cut him off, never allow him to set foot in the facility again, never again allowed to even have contact with a single current employee. If Tokyopop does that, then I'd be willing to give them another chance.

THIS!!
Couldn't have said it better myself. What happened to the big documentary he was suppose to be producing in Japan after the March 11 disaster? If he's back behind the CEO desk again TP will be no less dead as far as I'm concerned. Get the licenses back of the titles you abandoned Mr. Levy, and start publishing them again like real soon and maybe I'll forgive you for being such a twunt.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
However, the fact that they wouldn't identify who they are during that long Twitter session makes me doubt everything they tweeted.

It's been revealed that the person behind the twitter is a well-established freelance translator who used to work for TP, @allaboutmanga. She said she's been given permission to say who she is.
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
LKK wrote:
However, the fact that they wouldn't identify who they are during that long Twitter session makes me doubt everything they tweeted.

It's been revealed that the person behind the twitter is a well-established freelance translator who used to work for TP, @allaboutmanga. She said she's been given permission to say who she is.

I saw her tweet announcement and recognize her name. I hope she doesn't get burned by her new alliance.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
LKK wrote:

I saw her tweet announcement and recognize her name. I hope she doesn't get burned by her new alliance.

She's always been attached to Tokyopop, though. She started out as an intern there, and from what I understand Tokyopop was her main employer.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
macloud wrote:
Sailor S wrote:

THIS!!

I 4th that statement. Laughing

Seriously.... kicking Stu to the curb would be a great way to get the company in the right Direction.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I don't mind if they come back so long as they publish my favorite titles. Smile

on the contrary, i hope they don't go anywhere near any title i might be remotely interested in. i don't want to be faced with the decision of: not getting said title, or giving stu levy money.

to me, this all sounds like the money ran out while he was making his little documentary. i'm sure tokyopop will re-close once he's got as much money as he thinks he'll need.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Get the licenses back of the titles you abandoned Mr. Levy, and start publishing them again like real soon and maybe I'll forgive you for being such a twunt.

Actually, I hope he never gets the licenses back, just so companies like Yen Press, Viz Media, Dark Horse Manga, DMP, Seven Seas Entertainment- ANYBODY BUT TOKYOPOP, can actually distribute them with decent quality.

Mostly rooting for Yen Press when it comes to my favorites, but Viz is okay since they actually publish Art Books. (Or are there other publishers that do that too?)

Anyway, because Stu Levy is a charlatan, and because I'm a total dork, allow me to share this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yw2SmG674

Shadow Man: Stu Levy/Tokyopop
Prince Naveen: Fandom of a Tokyopop Manga you actually care about
Chubby guy: Manga Fandom
"Friends on the Other side": Stu Levy's "relationship" with Japanese publishers.

...Lyrics would have to be altered for a majority of it, but you get the idea Anime hyper
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Well that was unexpected. Hmm.

Would I buy new volumes of certain ongoing titles if they were to start them up again (specifically Voice or Noise, Love Pistols, Vassalord, & Junjou Romantica)? Sure, because it saves me the trouble of hunting down the scanlations that undoubtably appeared once they announced that they lost the licenses.

Would I invest in any new series? Not a chance. Only single-volume stuff (as many of the BLU imprint releases were anyway). Not risking another flip-flop and yet another unfinished series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, unless they decide to pick up Digimon and Kingdom Hearts again... I could care less. Sadly, both of those ships have sailed, especially Digimon, who's Frontier season was the least popular. So Im in the boat of Tokyopop not only dropping the two series I liked from them, but there is almost *no* reason for them to be license rescued. :/

If nothing else, it would be nice if the one-or-two volumes they didn't release from everything they owned would be released so people can complete their collections, but I really hope they don't dive right into new series. Leave that to people who actually know what they are doing.
bbollier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
I won't be starting anything new by them anytime soon. If they continue any of the series I've been reading, I'll pick them up, but I just don't see this working. I've been burned by them, and it is going to take a LOT of effort to restore even a little of my trust. On a brighter note, Tokyopop will NOT be finishing Alice in the Country of Hearts, because Yen Press now has the license!

http://www.yenpress.com/2011/10/yen-plus-not/

This makes me extremely happy because Yen Press always does a great job IMO.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
Well, given that Kodansha has the Sailor Moon licence, I could care less about DJ Milky's nonsense.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
bbollier wrote:
I won't be starting anything new by them anytime soon. If they continue any of the series I've been reading, I'll pick them up, but I just don't see this working. I've been burned by them, and it is going to take a LOT of effort to restore even a little of my trust.

Their twitter account said you can email info @ tokyopop.com for license requests. The email account and the manga twitter account are being handled by the same person. So I sent in a list of my unfinished series (Suppli, Maid-sama, VB Rose, Stellar Six, Lady Kanoko, Aria, Your & My Secret) and pretty much said what you said: finish up the unfinished series first before going after brand new titles to regain our trust.

Also, they published this in their twitter feed: "No promises on specific titles [re: reprinting already published, hard-to-find volumes], but we will be starting with new volumes from titles we were publishing before the shutdown."
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
They can add "Good Witch Of The West", "Animal Academy", and "Gakuen Alice", to that list as well, or they can get stuffed. Wink
partially

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
macloud wrote:
Sailor S wrote:

THIS!!
Couldn't have said it better myself. What happened to the big documentary he was suppose to be producing in Japan after the March 11 disaster? If he's back behind the CEO desk again TP will be no less dead as far as I'm concerned. Get the licenses back of the titles you abandoned Mr. Levy, and start publishing them again like real soon and maybe I'll forgive you for being such a twunt.

Well seriously when I first started reading the article I thought this must have happened. e.g. some of the other employees wanted to get the company back off the ground, and had obtained the rights to the name from Stu who had told everyone he couldn't be stuffed with the company. That would have been cool.

But no then I read "Levy wrote..." **** this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9