• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Survey: Reactions to Geneon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
akumaotaku wrote:
Easy it is the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Your hacking to get around Region Protection. If the Protection is Set on Zero by default your not getting around it and using the player as it was intended

Does entering a factory pre-set code really constitute "hacking"? And has anybody actually been prosecuted in the US for breaking this rather peculiar law? It's all very odd.

Quote:
So, It may not be illegal to buy the R2 DVD

That's the entirety of the point I was making... Wink
jenseki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I think there are still some fans out there right now who don't realize that one of the reasons the US anime companies are going under is because they've been taking heavy hits from people who download their anime for free. And it's not just the US anime companies. I have several friends who work in the industry in Japan and the studios in Japan are suffering, because while their shows may have good ratings no one's buying DVDs so they're losing a ton of money. It's pretty dire, some people project that in a few years there won't be very much anime produced in Japan. So to all you bootleggers out there. I hope it was worth it. You helped kill an industry.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I don't believe this is true. You can't charge a person buying a personal supply of drugs, for example, with "distribution", merely with "possession", and if they have enough, "possession with the intent to distribute". I'd actually like to see a drug dealer defend himself by saying that he offered an ala carte plate of drugs, and that he was not actually distributing anything, as his cutomers were merely "assigning themselves" his product.

I don't know why you went with a drug analogy to a respond to a point about US copyright law, but actually the scenario that you are describing is what any federal prosecutor would recognize as "a conspiracy to distrubute controlled substances", and said dealer would get a reduction in sentence for each person he could name that participated.

The only point I was making was that independent of the actual ability to prove anything that, yes, it is illegal in the US to merely download copyrighted material without authorization. If it rose to the level of a criminal offense (which requires financial thresholds), then yes, federal charges would allege both copying and distributing. That's just how they hedge their bets to ensure convictions.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Allow me to add a little spice to this debate. A story about a bit torrent hero on the run
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thanks for the clairification Keonyn. I still don't get what he's on about, "anime industry v DVD industry".

I mean how you can buy a season box set of an American original series for much less than an anime of the same running time. For example, Lost season 3: $39, runtime 991 minutes (24 eps, 40 minutes each). Family Guy Season 4: $48, runtime 606 minutes. Full Metal Alchemist $77, runtime 700 minutes (51 eps, 20 minutes each). Naruto vol 5 box set $25, runtime 325 (14 eps, 20 minutes each).

Per minute, anime is always at least more expensive than US shows, usually twice as expensive. How can they hope to compete?

[qwuote]I think there are still some fans out there right now who don't realize that one of the reasons the US anime companies are going under is because they've been taking heavy hits from people who download their anime for free. /quote]

They aren't suffering a bit from people who download anime for free. They might be considered to be suffering for people who don't buy their DVDs, who would otherwise, but the two groups aren't one and the same. It's industry BS to even insunuate that people who download anime are people would would be buying DVDs if they couldn't DL fansubs.

Quote:
I have several friends who work in the industry in Japan and the studios in Japan are suffering, because while their shows may have good ratings no one's buying DVDs so they're losing a ton of money. It's pretty dire, some people project that in a few years there won't be very much anime produced in Japan. So to all you bootleggers out there. I hope it was worth it. You helped kill an industry.

I remember a time when nobody bought anime DVDs, because there were no such thing. It tended to work out.

Quote:

The only point I was making was that independent of the actual ability to prove anything that, yes, it is illegal in the US to merely download copyrighted material without authorization. If it rose to the level of a criminal offense (which requires financial thresholds), then yes, federal charges would allege both copying and distributing. That's just how they hedge their bets to ensure convictions.

If they did that then they shouldn't get any convictions, because there is no distribution going on.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
If they did that then they shouldn't get any convictions, because there is no distribution going on.

Generally speaking federal prosecutors get @ a 95% conviction rate, and about 98% of those are from guilty pleas, precisely because of such tactics.

But, of course, you are right. It's obviously impossible to stretch the notion of distribution to the self. Rolling Eyes

(we are, after all, talking about the same government court system that legally defines two interlocking pieces of metal that can be created with Dremel and a hacksaw blade as a "machine gun" requiring registration -- even if there is no 'gun' involved at all)
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I remember a time when nobody bought anime DVDs, because there were no such thing. It tended to work out.

Which is pretty much the same thing I was saying about the technology in existence around the same time that fansubs were recorded onto VHS. Yet you (or maybe it was joshjoshlol)complained that preDVD business models of the industry don't necessarily apply today.

Along with the age of entertainment in digital formats came many bad things. Piracy suddenly became not only easy to get involved in but very profitable. But piracy has always existed even dating back to early biblical texts that were transcribed and distributed without permission. Whether it is intended to be used for financial gain, or obtain something for free somone is paying a price when their creative work is not netting the returns that allows them to continue creating it. Those who appreciate this work have to understand that despite what laws and regulations are in place, your entertainment is a priveledge that you have to earn.

Ohoni wrote:
Per minute, anime is always at least more expensive than US shows, usually twice as expensive. How can they hope to compete?

Yes it's true anime is probably the most expensive genre of entertainment that is available on DVD. But if you really think about it there's no need to compete at all. Fans of shows like Lost and Family Guy aren't excluded from being customers of anime DVDs and anime fans are already customers of anime DVDs. Plus it goes without saying why anime is so much more expensive: Licensing alone is extremely costly not to mention also additional production involved to adapt the program for English speaking consumers. And I am honored to be an anime fan knowing the level of pride that companies like Geneon have put into special edition versions of shows that many times goes above and far beyond the level of presentation anywhere else in the entertainment industry.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Generally speaking federal prosecutors get @ a 95% conviction rate, and about 98% of those are from guilty pleas, precisely because of such tactics.

Bullies. No wonder people have so little respect for the law these days. It's a sad state of affairs.

Quote:

Yes it's true anime is probably the most expensive genre of entertainment that is available on DVD. But if you really think about it there's no need to compete at all. Fans of shows like Lost and Family Guy aren't excluded from being customers of anime DVDs and anime fans are already customers of anime DVDs.

Yes, but not everyone has an infinite supply of money with which to buy everything they want, so most people have to choose which products to spend their money on, and on that mark, "bang for your buck" is quite important.

Quote:
Plus it goes without saying why anime is so much more expensive: Licensing alone is extremely costly not to mention also additional production involved to adapt the program for English speaking consumers.

Yeah, that's what kills the US industry, the liscensing fees are outrageous compared to what they should be. If the US companies were diversified enough that they could stand to do so, they should really refuse to pay those fees until the Japanese companies develop more reasonable expectations. I bet the fees US anime companies pay are twice the fees companies pay in most markets to liscense US original programing.

The simple fact is that they MUST put out a much cheaper product, however they accomplish it, cheaper even than the US programs, because those are "prestige" purchases of a product that the viewer has probably already watched, rather than the original version of a show that they have not seen yet. You can't expect a sane consumer to drop $40+ on a series they haven't even watched yet.
Faraz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:44 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
It's industry BS to even insunuate that people who download anime are people would would be buying DVDs if they couldn't DL fansubs.

Finally, someone that seems to get this very small yet important point. Most people downloading fansubs would simply move to cheaper forms of entertainment if one day fansubs were discontinued. They won't be shelling over the absurd prices currently being put in anime DVDs, that's for sure.

Past wrote:
Plus it goes without saying why anime is so much more expensive: Licensing alone is extremely costly not to mention also additional production involved to adapt the program for English speaking consumers.

Bingo, you hit the nail right on the head with that one. Main reason anime is so expensive? Unreasonable licensing fees. If the Japanese anime producers go down or lose money, it will be due to their own greed in trying to milk the foreign destributors and forcing them to over-price a product that hasn't gained a stable enough foothold in the marketplace. The first losers in this war will be companies like Geneon who have to buy high and try to sell in an incredibly niche market. The final result is me sitting here with my incomplete Black Lagoon DVD sets. And I place the biggest portion of the blame on the Japanese companies involved.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
What they need to do is crap the existing liscensing system completely. Cut the upfront payouts dramatically, maybe even to 10% what they are now (though likely more around 25-50%), and adapt the remainder to being based on actual profits.

That way, the Japanese company gets some money right away, and if the series turns the US company a profit then they make as much, if not more than they did before, while if it doesn't do so well, the US company isn't out anything. And of course, with less money to make back, they don't have to charge as much to the public, and people can buy more.

Even better would be for US companies to buy into the Japanese market in joint ventures, so that they provide money up front for the Japanese version of the show, release it as close to simultaniously as possible to both US and Japan, and split the profits in both markets between them.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Allow me to add a little spice to this debate. A story about a bit torrent hero on the run

Odds are we won't have any sort of real ruling on this for a good while. Sweden is one of if not the most wired nation in the world as far as the percentage of the population online (and connection speeds.) Already thirteen members of their leading political party in office have made a public statement that they support legalizing downloads. So my guess is this case will go all the way to the EU supreme court, which from estimates I've heard, could take upwards of five years from now to reach a final verdict.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
So my guess is this case will go all the way to the EU supreme court, which from estimates I've heard, could take upwards of five years from now to reach a final verdict.

Yes, but if the European Court of Justice (there is no "supreme" court in Europe - unless we've been absorbed into the USA and nobody bothered to tell me) decides against them, it will become European law and that will apply across the European Union - including Sweden - whether Swedish legislators like it or not.

Quote:
Already thirteen members of their leading political party in office have made a public statement that they support legalizing downloads.

Without knowing how many Swedish MPs take the opposite view, that's not very useful information. Besides which, if they support legalising downloads, said downloads can't currently be legal and the outcome of the trial should be a foregone conclusion.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Yes, but if the European Court of Justice (there is no "supreme" court in Europe - unless we've been absorbed into the USA and nobody bothered to tell me) decides against them, it will become European law and that will apply across the European Union - including Sweden - whether Swedish legislators like it or not.

My bad on the name. I just always had heard it referred to as such.

Quote:
Without knowing how many Swedish MPs take the opposite view, that's not very useful information. Besides which, if they support legalising downloads, said downloads can't currently be legal and the outcome of the trial should be a foregone conclusion.

Not entirely, you see Sweden's current copyright law has a loophole that allows you to run a bit torrent tracker. You can't directly host or distribute copyrighted material in Sweden but the Swedish government currently considers the activity of a bit torrent tracker to be legal since it does not directly host or transfer any infringing material, merely ips and checksums.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Demontaco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
sort of repeating/clarifying my earlier post (which is now buried back in page 3 or so...)

I do WANT to buy the DVDs for all my favorite shows, and i plan on doing so in the near future.

That being said, I'll still be downloading fansubs. I've found groups whose styles i like and trust, and i find a bit of fun in being able to say I'm watching these shows only 2 weeks or so behind actual Japanese audiences. I don't find any problems with this, other than the confusing grey-area legality. Primarily, this is to find out if these shows are WORTH watching. American shows can be watched here in their entirety, and then bought by the watchers who have been convinced that they're worth paying for. For me, fansubs give me almost the same process.

back to the topic at hand... I'm gonna repeat myself from my earlier post, with a better number crunch. for sake of example, lets look at the 51 - episode run of FullMetal Alchemist.

now originally, Borders was selling the 4-episode discs for $30. THIS is insane. 13 discs at $30 each means $390, for a mere 51 episodes.
(granted, "mere" is a dangerous word to use when describing an awesome show like FMA, but i digress.) Now the cheapest price i can find is as follows: $30 for half of a 25(or 26) episode season.

so a quick number crunch
4-episode disc for $30 = $7.50 per episode.
13-episode set for $30 = about $2.50 per episode.
NEARLY 1/3 the price!

Total price for all 51 episodes: about $120. now to some, this is still a large amount.

But i submit to you that this is the direction that the industry needs to be going in.

Geneon has put itself out of business by overselling sub-quality dubs at outrageous prices. When we can expect prices that, (like FMA here) round out to maybe $3 an episode, as opposed to the original $7.50 or so, we'll all be able to buy all our favorites, they can make money, and the industry will thrive.

What they have to realize is that they need us as much as we need them.

Anyway, them's my thoughts. Sorry they're a bit scattered. Now I'm off to purchase the aforementioned FMA boxsets, and download the latest Clannad.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Strategos wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

Yadda, yadda...condescending tone...I paid so much money...blah blah blah...I've watched anime longer than you therefore I am better...depressing images and tone.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it is difficult to consider your opinions/argument when the entire structure of your response takes the tone of "the almighty" teaching an ignorant child.

Personally, I'd say a small portion of the blame lies with fan support...but that portion is very small. I don't really like talking about fansubs because, frankly, I download them, and that isn't going to change. I watch them and and then purchase the R1 DVDs if I like the show. Is it legal? As far as I know...nope, but it's how I watch/purchase anime.

PS: Whoever compared anime to the American music/movie industry...umm, OK.

Sorry, My point was that this golden age of fansubbing was an entirely different era than was being portrayed. not how much I spent to be as close to cutting edge as I was in those days. The post I was arguing against seemed little different from the old radio preachers taking rock lyrics out of context & twisting them around.

There really is no way to compare what's going on now to what went on then. Every once in awhile I do think just how much things have changed in my lifetime-not yet 50 yrs on this planet. Phonograph records in the 60's to cassette tapes in the 70's (portable music!) to videotapes (watch the shows you love when you want, not when the Big 3 want)-cable networks, in fact, & the Internet. Fansubs were more an underground-friend of a friend. Like buying drugs, one had to know where to go to get them. A newb simply couldn't walk into K-Mart & buy Ranma.
They certainly couldn't just click a mouse & watch it.

Dmnhiro-
Short answer. Life isn't fair.
Heath Ledger died with 2 movies in various stages of production. The Batman title will probably fly. The other?
Best case-he had enough shot, they can work around it as they did Brandon Lee in The Crow.
More likely?-They'll be forced to re-cast & re-shoot. Is it fair for the movie company to have to do this? Do they have to if they wish to continue with the release?
Worst case-There's no money to pay for re-casting & re-shooting & the movie is shelved. Again, Fair?

Life isn't fair. Unpredictable stuff happens.

Mokona-I have a lot of clients who still want to argue their case they weren't selling-they just had all that stuff for personal use, but the amount was sufficient they got charged & convicted of intent to sell.

Quote:
I mean how you can buy a season box set of an American original series for much less than an anime of the same running time. For example, Lost season 3: $39, runtime 991 minutes (24 eps, 40 minutes each). Family Guy Season 4: $48, runtime 606 minutes. Full Metal Alchemist $77, runtime 700 minutes (51 eps, 20 minutes each). Naruto vol 5 box set $25, runtime 325 (14 eps, 20 minutes each).

What is it with people on this side of the argument? This is the one point I REALLY don't understand.

What if I have never, ever, ever, ever watched Lost, have no interest whatsoever in Lost, why should I buy it just because it's cheaper than Demon Prince Enma? A Stack Attack from Wendy's is cheaper than a Big Mac. If I want a Big Mac, I can settle for a Stack Attack? The store Brand is usually cheaper than the name brand, but what if I dislike the flavor? Oh, you mean the name brand should drop their price to be the same as the store brand because it's just not right I have to pay more for Hunts than the store brand?

Mercedes should drop their price to cost the same as Ford? They're both just cars.

If I want an American series, I'll buy it. I'm sorry. I want to keep all the brain cells I currently have & the few times I've caught Family Guy, I swear I can feel it sucking my brain cells out of my head. I've seen 90% of those jokes before & they were only vaguely funny the first time around. I believe the only way most of Adult Swim's "comedy" lineup can be deemed funny is to be on drugs.

Quote:
They aren't suffering a bit from people who download anime for free. They might be considered to be suffering for people who don't buy their DVDs, who would otherwise, but the two groups aren't one and the same. It's industry BS to even insunuate that people who download anime are people would would be buying DVDs if they couldn't DL fansubs.

Again, where are you getting this info? I know people who actually stopped buying legal releases because they can download for free.

Joshua-Sensei wrote:

That's funny because Dattebayo has what like 36,3180 downloads per episode? Much more than I see from say "Black Lagoon" Torrents, or Kanon torrents.. much more. So going by your logic or fan subers shut down Geneon, (when really you have no idea why they shut down you just want to blame somebody) when their anime is not being downloaded as much as say these others. And sure you can say "Well little kids are bought X" but in all actuality you are tyign to find some way to verify your already shaky logic.

36,000 downloads? Wow, I'm supposed to be impressed? That's what #1 download numbers are like?
I highly suspect the numbers for Naruto on Cartoon Network beat those by a landslide. I would hope they have at least 1 million viewers or more. God knows over 2 million people live in my county alone. 36,000 is a sleeping little rural community that likely rolls it's streets up at night.

Joshua-Sensei wrote:

2. You don't need to educate me about manga,

Then why did you try to compare the health of the manga industry to the failing health of the anime industry when fansubs/scans have no real impact on manga? Of course if you go comapring the 2, I'm going to assume you know nothing about the fact bootlegging manga just isn't worth it because of the low cost of the product.
Frankly, back in 2003 or 2004 before I knew anything about the whole debate, I did check out a few scan sites & found them headache-inducing for the horrid language (the sentances made little sense & took a lot of fill-in-the-gaps or they felt the need to throw swearing in every few words)

I actually thought the biggest problem manga faces is the "manga cows" in bookstores that have their mom's drop them off in the morning, collect a stack, & proceed to read. I don't shop bookstores because I hate the creatures myself--I can get the books cheaper off the net & they don't have cheetos stains. Domic shops avoid this since they're often smaller so the cashier can enforce the "No reading the books" signs

Joshua-Sensei wrote:

I also know what it feels like to build a collection and how badly you want to complete it, I who have collected American comics since I was 10, who always saved my money to buy two issues of the comic one to read and then another to put in a plactic sleeve.

When I was 10, we didn't have the collector market. As with Japan, in my childhood comics were stuff one's mom chucked while one was at school. I do have 3 trunks full ogf the American stuff I probably need to dump-Spiderman I managed to pick up back to the late 70's, X-Men.
I wouldn't dump my Ghosr Riders, though. Or my Spectres. I liked the crazies.

Joshua-Sensei wrote:

Once again I say to you, I don't download what is licenced but you better believe that if Spider man all of a sudden went Japanese and there were no more American comics made of him, I would download those in an instant, and can you say you would not do the same with the shows left unfinished by Geneon?

Again, this is a slightly different animal. You're arguing with a chick who has an account with a Japanese book store & who gets about a dozen titles pulled aside for pick-up. I would have the shop add the Spiderman title to my subscription because manga is cheaper. We've lost Be Beautiful it seems. Do I read the scans of Kizuna?
No
Do I get BeBoy Gold pulled for me every other month?
Yes.
Do I read Japanese?
No. But I can see the art & deduce a lot.

No, I haven't downloaded anything, so, no, I haven't downloaded Kyo Kara Maoh, Shonen Onmyoji or Saiunkoku.

Joshua-Sensei wrote:

Fan subbing has it's place now, sure you can download Black blood borhters from ADV, BUT, you can only play those on WMP, what about those with linux, and Macs? They are made to suffer where as fan subbers encode their anime in such a way it will play on Zoom, VCLAN, Quicktime, WPM, ect. When I watch my anime I want to watch it the way I want to watch it, why should it be regulated as to where I can watch it and what device I can watch it on?

I thought my Black Blood Brothers is coming from Funi...

Windows is the common platform in the US. If you choose to use the alternatives, you have to know you are narrowing your choices of programs to run on them. We had the same thing in the 80's with the Betamax/VHS situation. I went with Betamax because it was a superior system. I had to replace my stuff on VHS when that system lost out. Now it's all moot, right?
So, no sympathy here. You chose those systems. You knew going in the pros & cons. I don't agree you have the right to download something you have no right to because you made your bed-lie in it.

Joshua-Sensei wrote:

Also fansubbers give us anime that has not been or will not be licenced, can you say if you say a Japanese trailer of Black Lagoon you would not want to download it if you knew it was never going to get licenced? Can you honestly say that?

I have no interest whatsoever in Black Lagoon.
I have no hope whatsoever of seeing the Angelique series. No, I'm not going to download it. God knows there's more than enough to watch that is licensed. Hell, if I wanted, I could probably take a year to re-watch my entire collection should I be unable to purchase more anime because I hit financial hard times.

Joshua-Sensei wrote:

I say the same thing to you, you lost "your" shows, "your" company failed so you all go on this glorified witch hunt for fansubbers and downloaders when you don't know why they failed in the first place.
You really do remind me of the old witch hunters accusing people of things that they may not have had a part in but because you want some one to blame you just toss it at the nearest group you feel like hating.

Oh, no. DO NOT GO THERE.
Stop now or I'll break out the dozen or so books I have on the witch hunts (one of my favorite subjects. Actually, my belief in Karma is roughly altared to fit something I read in one of my witchcraft books that bad deeds come back on one 3-fold.)
Witches believe "Do as thou wilt HARM NONE"
You're putting people out of jobs. You're harming some.

In a nutshell, in countries where the property stayed with the witch's estate/family, there were precious few witches found (like the US). In countries where the State or the Hunter gained the witch's property, theree were thousands burned. There were 2 outcomes-Guilty or Not Proven with the latter open to be re-investigated whenever the state decided. so it was much easier, as the guards often encouraged the accused to do-to just confess & be done with it. One had to confess under torture, then again when not under torture. If one died under torture without confessing, it proved how wicked one was. People were coerced into naming others they didn't even know just to end the torment.

Yeah, I'm doing that to fansubbers.

Joshua-Sensei wrote:

Did you not say pretty much the same thing to me with Onegai Teacher? How there are not enough strong women character anime being licenced and how shows like Onegai were insipid? Pot calling kettle black much?

I believe Big eyed & big boobed was one of the types of titles being proclaimed as unworthy by the original poster. I DO believe that described Onegai Teacher.
I seem to recall informing you I DID BUY the box set because I like Souichiro Hoshi-that the $25 I paid for it was all I deemed it worth. Since you obviously didn't get my reasoning there, I meant it to indicate you may thnik it the best anime title since toast, but to me it's a marginal title. Specifically, I'd read & loved the manga which I know was based on the anime. Usually manga based on anime sucks, but since I loved the manga, I figured the anime should be great. Thank god I managed to catch an ep at con & see how they pushed the fan service to the top. THe manga dealt more with the boy's health issues & her seeming to actually care for him.

IE-prople have different opinions on what's the best thing since toast.

Joshua-Sensei wrote:

Bottom line (and then I wash my hands of your bigoted way of going after people who you don't know if they had anything to do with why Geneon failed. Or that don't believe the same thing you do.)

When I was a teen, I had this pretty black kitten named Midnight which, for some insane reason liked to lie in the middle of the road (My cats stay indoors now). It didn't make it to cathood because, while my street sot maybe 20 cars down it per day, as my mom watch, so teens swerved to hit her. Yes, she shouldn't have been in the road, But I can hate the kind of jerks who swerve to hit someone's cat.
Just like I can hate fansubbers in a general ill-will way for killing the anime industry.

Joshua-Sensei wrote:

You don't know why Geneon failed so stop pretending that you do.
Most of the people here have said they download and then buy so what is wrong with that? I mean honestly if I download a series and then go out and buy it how does that make me a bad person? Can you honestly answer that?
You are no better of a person than me, you have different moral views but that does not make you better or more knowledgeable, and I wish you damn "downloader hunters" would stop acting as such.
Have a good day, a good life, and enjoy your anime your way and I will enjoy mine my way. Live and let live, what is so wrong with that?
Joshua-Sensei
[/b]

As I told the original poster in the PM sent to me-how many eps are you watching?
I really would have less of a complaint if no more than 5 eps of any series were subbed & people downloaded them. I'd grudgingly allow that as a preview. Watching the entire fricken show is NOT a preview.
Naruto is a known product. So is Bleach. Both are licensed. Why are there still fansubs?

Why should I download Geneon's product when right now there is a possibility Funi will pick up some of them? Why shouldn't I support Funi if it does bring me Hellsing? They also want Black Lagoon.

Last edited by CCSYueh on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9