• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kite: Director's Cut vs Kite Remastered.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
@ Blood-,

While I don't disagree with anything you're saying, unless the viewer has a particular liking for those types of scenes, they add little if anything to the story. I think they actually spoil the flow of each anime. If a viewer dislikes those sorts of scenes, both OAVs are fine without them.

Totally agree with you. I happen to like the sex scenes, so they added, rather than detracted from my enjoyment, but I am aware there are plenty of people who don't like that sort of thing. They absolutely don't need to be there. My main point was just a skepticism over how much Umetsu truly didn't want them there.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I actually own both though I have not yet watched the remastered version. I have watched the Director's cut. The reason I got both was I was looking at a vendor (don't remember for sure if it was on Amazon or Ebay, think it was the former) selling lots of cheap anime abd I was going to get Kite Liberator, then I noticed I could get the "Duology" set for less than $2 more so I grabbed that.

I always prefer to get uncut versions of things, I can always skip the dirty parts if I want with my trusty remote.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
It boils down to do you want the sex or not? If no then get the original edited version and if so then you want the Director's cut or the Remasterd/Special edition. The difference in those 2 is the Special Edition version is the COMPLETE 100% version released in Japan. While the Director's cut does have most of the sex scenes in it there is one in particular it omits. That being a flashback scene the main character has and in it she is less than the legal age. It's not point blank stated as much but yea.....you know it. I have the Special Edition simply because i didn't know the differences when I got it. I had the original and then bought the special edition as I was told by a friend it had extra footage. He failed to detail what the footage was.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
errinundra wrote:
@ Blood-,

While I don't disagree with anything you're saying, unless the viewer has a particular liking for those types of scenes, they add little if anything to the story. I think they actually spoil the flow of each anime. If a viewer dislikes those sorts of scenes, both OAVs are fine without them.

Totally agree with you. I happen to like the sex scenes, so they added, rather than detracted from my enjoyment, but I am aware there are plenty of people who don't like that sort of thing. They absolutely don't need to be there. My main point was just a skepticism over how much Umetsu truly didn't want them there.

I found that they fit fairly well in Kite, at least the flashbacks anyway. I thought they added to the story, or at least showed what happen to protagonist in her youth. In Umetsu's other film, Mezzo Forte, I thought the sex scenes were terribly out of place and didn't need to be there whatsoever.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
[quote="j
I found that they fit fairly well in Kite, at least the flashbacks anyway. I thought they added to the story, or at least showed what happen to protagonist in her youth. In Umetsu's other film, Mezzo Forte, I thought the sex scenes were terribly out of place and didn't need to be there whatsoever.[/quote]
I actually agree with this. Given the relationships in Kite what happened to her in her past does add to her....later actions. Being vague on purpose to not give out spoilers. Anyone who has seen it gets it though. The one scene with the cop's buddy....not really needed for the plot. Though it does prove what a sleaze he is. In Mezzo though....neither serves any purpose. The first scene is just some weird dream that makes no sense. The second, while it involves some minor characters, really doesn't add to the main plot in any way. Both are good movies I think with the core plot but the sex....in both cases it's not really needed. At least in Kite it makes some sense unlike in Mezzo. The Mezzo tv series was just.......yea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2