• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion brings man to kill mother

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Shocked

...all I wanted is $20 when I strung together two 4.0 semesters...
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:52 pm Reply with quote
gtarfreak wrote:
obviously this whole evangelion thing isnt something i would believe too easily unless i saw it reported by another paper. ANN should really check their sources before posting ...

Okay, let's find a different source, then:

http://mytown.asahi.com/yamagata/news02.asp?kiji=4458

Asahi IS a respectable paper, regarldess of your feelings about Mainichi's "Wai Wai" section (BTW, I agree with you; nothing in their Wai-Wai section is worth reading).. Does that satisfy you? Or would you like me to find another?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kokaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Blah blah blah, of course Eva didn’t make him kill, he chose to kill himself.

At least he had a decent reason for doing so.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Kokaku wrote:

A decent reason to kill his Mom? Uh, you would be wrong on that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Kokaku wrote:

Agreed mostly, he may have been influenced by Eva, but to be influenced by an anime into killing people shows a serious problem with the person... Not the anime.

Quote:

Excuse me? You think he had a good reason to kill his mother? I'd hate to be your mother.

-t
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Kokaku wrote:

Unless it's proven that he did it in self-defense, there is no decent reason.
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Kokaku wrote:

I feel really worried for your mom. Seriously. Anyway, what a horrible thing to say.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Kokaku wrote:

That was the meanest and most uncalled for thing you could have possibly said. There is no, and I repeat, NO good enough reason to ever murder anyone.
Kokaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:18 am Reply with quote
Louie-kun wrote:

That was the meanest and most uncalled for thing you could have possibly said. There is no, and I repeat, NO good enough reason to ever murder anyone.

Please, if I wanted to be mean and uncalled for I would’ve said something along the lines of “Hah, I’m glad he gave the bitch what she deserved” with more bullshit to follow.

No good reasons to kill a person exist? What a shame. I feel bad for all those with their sugar coated views.

To a couple of the previous repliers, his stated reason for doing so is much better then other reasons for which the murder could’ve been committed. Don’t believe me? Take some time to think about it. Oh, if you end up feeling worried for my mom why not call the cops and go back to being good soccer moms and dads?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, if you end up feeling worried for my mom why not call the cops and go back to being good soccer moms and dads?

In post columbine North America, if someone from this forum called the cops I could very well hear from them, they'd be requesting information on the person that thinks "humans were unnecessary being responsible for the destruction of the environment" is a "decent reason" for killing people, starting with his mother.

Kokaku wrote:
To a couple of the previous repliers, his stated reason for doing so is much better then other reasons for which the murder could’ve been committed. Don’t believe me? Take some time to think about it.

He killed his mother because 1) He thought all humans deserved to die and 2) he thought it would be easiest to for him later if he started with his familly.

By saying "had a decent reason for doing so" you are saying that you agree with his motives. You're probably going to reply and say that is not what you meant to say, but it is exactly what you said. If you think someone's motives are decent it means you agree with them. In otherwords, you have stated that you think that humans deserve to die and that it makes sense to decensitize yourself to killing by killing people close to you first.

So, is that what you meant? Or do you have to learn to be a bit more careful before saying stupid things?
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Kokaku wrote:

Please, if I wanted to be mean and uncalled for I would’ve said something along the lines of “Hah, I’m glad he gave the bitch what she deserved” with more bullshit to follow.

You just did.

Quote:

No good reasons to kill a person exist? What a shame. I feel bad for all those with their sugar coated views.

Sounds like something a terrorist would say.

Quote:

To a couple of the previous repliers, his stated reason for doing so is much better then other reasons for which the murder could’ve been committed. Don’t believe me? Take some time to think about it..

So you're saying just because he might've thought that he was doing some sort of a noble cause (again something a terrorist might say) it justfies him killing his mom or anybody else? Let me see the result of his thinking was that his mom died. I don't care about his reasons there were all wrong since innocent person died. Did you think about THAT, you moron? By the way, if he thought that all humans were harmful to nature or whatever why didn't he start by killing himself? Not that I wish he did that or anything (I don't) it just shows that there was no logic.
[/quote]
Quote:

Oh, if you end up feeling worried for my mom why not call the cops and go back to being good soccer moms and dads?

What exactly did you prove by that sentence?

P.S. Let's just drop the whole issue. For all we know this has nothing to do with his actual motives. The fact that the prosicution uses this as a motive proves it almost 100%. Like I said before there's must've been something wrong with their relationship. I mean a baseball bat? C'mon the guy probably just got angry.
Cerberus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow...killing is wrong, no matter what the reason. How could anyone think of killing their own mother, even if she might have been a horrible one. That's one of the dumbest excuses I've ever heard. Let's hope he gets a good punishment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kokaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

He killed his mother because 1) He thought all humans deserved to die and 2) he thought it would be easiest to for him later if he started with his familly.

By saying "had a decent reason for doing so" you are saying that you agree with his motives. You're probably going to reply and say that is not what you meant to say, but it is exactly what you said. If you think someone's motives are decent it means you agree with them. In otherwords, you have stated that you think that humans deserve to die and that it makes sense to decensitize yourself to killing by killing people close to you first.

So, is that what you meant? Or do you have to learn to be a bit more careful before saying stupid things?

No, by saying “decent” I compare his motives to the thousands of other motives which are enacted upon each day around the world. Believe it or not those reasons restated above [i]are[i] rooted in actual logic expressed in places other then Evangelion. Saying “decent” or “good” in that place is no different then many people who said it was a horrible reason to kill his mom. By your same logic though that person who said it was horrible also ‘agrees with his motives.’

Basically, “If you think someone's motives are decent it means you agree with them,” is a false statement. .

Proman wrote:
Sounds like something a terrorist would say.

And? A terrorist would also say he/she likes Pizza if they in fact do.

Quote:

So you're saying just because he might've thought that he was doing some sort of a noble cause (again something a terrorist might say) it justfies him killing his mom or anybody else? Let me see the result of his thinking was that his mom died. I don't care about his reasons there were all wrong since innocent person died. Did you think about THAT, you moron? By the way, if he thought that all humans were harmful to nature or whatever why didn't he start by killing himself? Not that I wish he did that or anything (I don't) it just shows that there was no logic.

Nope, I never said his action was justified. In response to the innocence statement, innocence is relative and relating to his logic his mom was not innocent. While he may have realized that killing himself would help the world, he may also have realized that it’s better to take as many people with him as possible.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:53 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion the use of the words "decent" end especially good in describing his motives is simply unacceptable. The fact that he had some sort of twisted logic doesen't make it decent.
I undertate your point that the fact that he thought that he was doing a good deed is different from him simply commiting a murder when his still knows that it's wrong. I just don't feel comfortable with your word selection among other things.
Kokaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
In my opinion the use of the words "decent" end especially good in describing his motives is simply unacceptable. The fact that he had some sort of twisted logic doesen't make it decent.
I undertate your point that the fact that he thought that he was doing a good deed is different from him simply commiting a murder when his still knows that it's wrong. I just don't feel comfortable with your word selection among other things.

I’m saying that his motives for committing the act were decent, and have said nothing about the act he did commit.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9