• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
White Album (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
I'm also watching this and have to agree with the sentiment of it being a while since I sat down and watched a good specifically "romantic drama". The last one that intrigued me as much as this one was Rumbling Hearts a year or two ago I think.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
What I've never understood is why people want to be idols in the first place.

The job is often short (too old and you're out) and the stars are harried and often portrayed as deeply upset or unhappy with themselves, their working conditions seem to be of the variety that would have workers rights groups up in arms, their co-workers seem to be either fakely pleasant to outright nasty and money doesn't seem to be all that impressive either (unless they hit superstardom which brings its own issues).

There's your answer, at least for the idol category of entertainers. Whatever their personal motivation, they see a chance to hit the jackpot. That's not criticism. It's just saying that a young person looking at the success that can be achieved through leveraging a certain set of talents and looks figures why not shoot for it. If they win, they get rewards far above the average person and in a short period of time. Viewed that way, it's not much different from sports, where someone tries to parlay their talents into a successful but sometimes relatively short-lived career. (The negatives of celebrity, and how the person responds to fame, are another matter of course.)

I also separate idols/celebrities from entertainers who are artists who love their art and can't help themselves pursuing it. They are driven and have no other choice in their minds but to try and be successful at it, being unable to imagine (or stand) themselves doing anything else. There's also the sense of community, wanting to spend their days as and with artists rather than the rest of us office stiffs Smile. That's quite a strong motivation, actually.

I've known a few professional musicians and actors, and a few longterm struggling ones. The pros had varying degrees of pure talent and hard work. The dedicated strugglers normally weren't able to make up for less talent with more hard work, which some pros certainly do, but they sort of couldn't stop themselves from continuing to try.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Normally we'd call those kinds of people obsessed and tell them to go out and experience more of life, to get a more balanced life.

But in the case of art and wealth we don't.

Now imagine the guy in his room playing WoW was making £100,000 a year doing so... Shocked
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow, only two episode in and already we have a plethora of interesting inter-character dynamics floating around. I may have to rewatch both of the first two episodes just to make sure I have everything straight, but for now this is the most likely keeper of the new series I've sampled so far this season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
The way episode 2 unfolded was very well done. I especially loved how the episode ended, and I can easily say that I'm hooked.
White Album is certainly one of the better series of the season thus far, and I'm very much looking forward to how this series will play out, as there are so many characters and their respective relationships (or lack thereof) to keep tabs on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Haruka is spoiler[ worth watching, though a bit more of a stock character than the others. I like her, though in literary terms she's a "girl with a past". She obviously has a thing for Touya but keeps the childhood friend distance. Misaki sounds smart enough to not get tangled with Touya, but may not be able to resist. ]

I'm going to have to disagree here. So yeah, Haruka may be the "girl with a past" but I think so far they've done a good job making her eccentric way past the normal. I mean, she's practically a mute. I also think that it's too early to say that she has a "thing" for Touya based on her actions thus far (obviously not based on the genre--we know how it's going to be); I really like that they're obvious friends and really comfortable with each other.

In terms of Misaki, well spoiler[I think she would go out with Touya in a heartbeat--she's giving him all the signs girls give, the little things, like insisting he take the poetry book, and thanking him for thanking her. The subtlety excellently portrays her feelings without drowning in melodramatic confessions. Honestly, she couldn't make it more obvious, no matter how smart she is.]
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
pparker wrote:
Haruka is spoiler[ worth watching, though a bit more of a stock character than the others. I like her, though in literary terms she's a "girl with a past". She obviously has a thing for Touya but keeps the childhood friend distance. Misaki sounds smart enough to not get tangled with Touya, but may not be able to resist. ]

I'm going to have to disagree here. So yeah, Haruka may be the "girl with a past" but I think so far they've done a good job making her eccentric way past the normal. I mean, she's practically a mute. I also think that it's too early to say that she has a "thing" for Touya based on her actions thus far (obviously not based on the genre--we know how it's going to be); I really like that they're obvious friends and really comfortable with each other.

Okay, I was a bit shallow there, but Haruka is a childhood friend apparently, and this is that genre's adaptation, and she does remind me of some other character(s) that I unfortunately can't recall right now--could even be live action something. I do like her and think she's interesting, and this series seems intent on sidestepping the cliches, so I shouldn't judge too quickly.

rainbowcourage wrote:
In terms of Misaki, well spoiler[I think she would go out with Touya in a heartbeat--she's giving him all the signs girls give, the little things, like insisting he take the poetry book, and thanking him for thanking her. The subtlety excellently portrays her feelings without drowning in melodramatic confessions. Honestly, she couldn't make it more obvious, no matter how smart she is.]

The signals make sense. I guess when she spoiler[ invited Akira to the library, that stuck in my mind as potential interest in him. I should re-watch. I knew she could be interested in Touya, just didn't catch that she was already giving such heavy signs. But she must know about Yuki, too, and she seems like someone who would respect that relationship, so I doubt "heartbeat" would happen.]
farruinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
spoiler[Also, who else found the "shutup" interesting during the Akira/Touya conversation? Was that Akira saying it, or Touya? I thought it was Akira, but I couldn't decide if it was about the cheesecake or about Yuki.]

I found it amusing too. It looks like Akira was spoiler[the one thinking "shutup" since the camera panned back and forth so extremely and Touya was the one driving the conversation. I think he wanted to avoid the subject that Touya brings up: "Misaki-san ate the cake without knowing it was from you" and the ensuing backstory.]

I'll be honest, the character I'm most curious about right now is actually the "Master" of the restaurant. I'm happy to watch how everything else unfolds, but I wonder who he is exactly since he's eavesdropping all the time.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:
spoiler[Also, who else found the "shutup" interesting during the Akira/Touya conversation? Was that Akira saying it, or Touya? I thought it was Akira, but I couldn't decide if it was about the cheesecake or about Yuki.]

I found it amusing too. It looks like Akira was spoiler[the one thinking "shutup" since the camera panned back and forth so extremely and Touya was the one driving the conversation. I think he wanted to avoid the subject that Touya brings up: "Misaki-san ate the cake without knowing it was from you" and the ensuing backstory.]

I'll be honest, the character I'm most curious about right now is actually the "Master" of the restaurant. I'm happy to watch how everything else unfolds, but I wonder who he is exactly since he's eavesdropping all the time.

spoiler[Oh, I didn't think it was amusing so much as confusing. It seemed openly hostile because it was such a contrast with Akira's usual sunny style. It wasn't a joking "shutup" which he could have said aloud, it was anger Akira felt he had to enshroud. Part of their mutual past, perhaps, and not a debate over silly lame cheescake?]

I guess we'll find out in time...And yes, I did that all in rhyme.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:

He's eavesdropping? I thought he was usually in the back plugged into the record player with his headphones, or am I not paying attention?
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
farruinn wrote:

He's eavesdropping? I thought he was usually in the back plugged into the record player with his headphones, or am I not paying attention?

There seems to be too much to his "knowing glances" to discount him. He's directly connected to Ogata Eiji, and the non-described connection points to some significant plot element, e.g. a past Jedi master unrevealed as yet. Though he's not the most interesting thing so far, I imagine we'll see a development around him at some point much later in the story.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
farruinn wrote:

He wasn't plugged in all the time if you check again.
farruinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
Two important developments in episode 3: spoiler[First is Yuki's "lessons" that Eiji and Yayoi talk about. I'm guessing these are lessons to help move Yuki from the sidelines and into the spotlight. Lessons that will apparrently push Yuki and Toya apart. Second is Yuki's big secret for Fuji. Whatever it is, it's most likely linked to whatever went on between Yuki and Eiji in episode 2. My guess is Eiji wrote a song for her to solo.] Looking forward to find out more about Toya's new kouhai too of course.

I re-watched the previous episodes before ep 3 and the year of the setting didn't really sink in the first time around. During a second watch I noticed so many things that placed the story in 1986 that I didn't notice the first time around. Bit of a "d'oh" moment for me Rolling Eyes
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote
EP 3

What a tangled web... spoiler[Toya takes that first tiny, inevitably fatal step in not revealing the call with Rina, whom I am trusting less and less. It was odd, too, his reaction when Yuki was holding him from behind on the roof. Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed he was annoyed at this habit. ]

Favorite lines:
spoiler[Eiji: I could fire you, too, young man.
Toya: (Please do.)

Funny, plus it resonated perfectly with the Fortune-Misfortune at the end, especially after the slap and termination.]

Rina is still my favorite character, and I am also curious about the kouhai. That's a fairly intriguing way to begin the relationship, though there must be some connection, spoiler[though he obviously didn't recognize the name]. I've no sympathy for dad so far. Good scene, though. Clearly defines the relationship and in very few words.

The nasty showbiz environment seems well-written, actually, and it can only get worse from here... Smile
farruinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
spoiler[Toya takes that first tiny, inevitably fatal step in not revealing the call with Rina, whom I am trusting less and less.]

spoiler[I was bothered by that at first too, however after the phone conversation he says he wants it (working at the studio) to be a surprise, so I assumed that's why he didn't say. He does seem to be a habitual liar, though. I still can't determine Rina's intentions either. Was her promise to make things up to Toya just and act? And what exactly was the second slap in the face on the roof for? Taking too long?]
pparker wrote:
spoiler[ It was odd, too, his reaction when Yuki was holding him from behind on the roof. Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed he was annoyed at this habit.]

spoiler[I think you're right about him being annoyed. Perhaps a habit that started in high school that she never grew out of? On the other hand, it reminded me of the scene at the park with Haruka. It bothers me how much he uses this friend who so clearly could use some help herself.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6