• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - When It Pours

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born_Gamer_83

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I dropped medeka box after 4 episodes, I just couldn't grow to like the characters enough, nor do I find them particularly funny. I have also heard a lot that the series makes a down turn, however I will still pay attention to what you say about it.

I wouldn't say down turn, just a change. I won't really spoil anyting, but it goes from a happy go lucky helping people show kind of like Sket Dance and becomes "something else." Watch the opener for the show carefully and you'll see the hints as to what is to come in it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Kudos, Bamboo! That was a great article, and I really admire you for sticking with shows you initially disliked and giving them a few eps' chance!

The great thing about this season is how family friendly it is. I was able to convince my Dad to watch more than 1 episode of both Kids on the Slope and Space Brothers with me. I can't really remember him enjoying any anime before, and it's so great to share the medium I enjoy most with him. I don't think it'll last the whole season, but I think he liked Space Brothers most, so maybe I can convince him to watch a few more episodes of it...

As for shows my family members wouldn't like at all...I love Tsuritama in all its quirky, heartfelt goodness. I think the friendship with alien kid Haru is bringing both protagonist Yuki and hometown, angsty fishing champion Natsuki out of their respective shells. The fact that it has subtle character development in its first few episodes tells me that it's not your average wacky sci-fi comedy.

The way everyone is describing the lead female character and possible supernatural notes of Mysterious Girlfriend X makes me want to watch it...but saliva *really* grosses me out. On the fence about that one.

Bodacious Space Pirates is still a lot of fun and I'm glad Bamboo is still watching it. The last Stream review of the show made me think that Bamboo thought it was complete enough at the end of cour 1 to act like that was the finale and drop it to make room for all these new shows. Glad that's not the case.

Now that The Stream has started fresh and I no longer have to skip reviews of shows to avoid spoilers because I'm planning to watch them (namely Chihayafuru) I'm looking forward to reading it every other week. Rock on, Bamboo!
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Dammit, okay. At the time, I debated going back and checking to make sure my memories were correct, but uh... I got lazy. But I will fix that. Thanks!

Eh, it happens. Smile
Veers

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I've been pretty disappointed by [...] Jormungand, [...] since people compared it to Black Lagoon which i loved and it's nothing like it IMO. The characters lack any kind of depths. Koko is irratating as hell, are we supposed to find her cute? The boy 'hates weapons and arms dealers', yeah, that really shows...maybe i'm giving up too early on this show and the characters will get some more of a personality than just being 'the gun-crazy lesbian' or 'Koko who's loco' later but i've pretty much lost patience by now.

You're not the only one. I'm with you and Bamboo on this one. Jormungand is just noise. Action with no investment (it's not badly done action, though, mind you). Poorly handled cast (compare to, say, Baccano or Durarara for how to better handle a large cast). Silliest moral dilemma elements ever (if you can even call them that). Just... gah. I can enjoy action with no substance from time to time but my problem with Jormungand is that it's like it wants to have substance but can't pull it off, which really makes the action hard to enjoy and just made the whole show rather boring.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote
What I'm watching this season, in no particular order:

- Uchuu Kyoudai
- Shirokuma Cafe
- Kuroko no Basket
- Sakamichi no Apollon
- tsuritama

I started borrowing the Uchuu Kyoudai manga from work a few weeks before the anime began airing since it was recommended to me by several friends, and was immediately hooked. Mutta is so likeable! He's very similar to Kotetsu in T&B so I think it was a good choice to have him voiced by Hirata Hiroaki. The story in the manga never goes downhill and there are many a suspenseful moment in the later chapters so I have very high hopes for the anime, which so far is following the manga quite closely. You know there's a huge budget for a series when they've got REAL product placement instead of knockoffs like Somy. I guess JAXA's trying to inspire kids to become interested in space.

The live-action movie is coming out on Saturday and I've already got tickets. =) I just hope Apo's as cute in the movie as he is in the manga and anime.

Shirokuma Cafe. Wow... The cast... Just, wow. Panda is cute to the point of annoying at times, but in the end he's still cute. I LOVE Penguin and Llama. The second episode with drunk!Penguin was priceless.

I didn't have any expectations for Kuroko no Basket but it's proved itself entertaining.

The animation and music in Sakamichi no Apollon is just spectacular. The drum and piano performances are actual movements by someone playing them, so when you see Kaoru playing the piano for example, it's Kanno Youko's movements.

The visuals in tsuritama are also very vibrant and eye-catching. One word: TAPIOCA.
Trustilotous

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
Reading through the posts, I'm surprised to see that most of the people who commented haven't been watching Natsuiro Kiseki. So far I've been enjoying that show quite a lot. That being said, the apparent lack of an overarching plot may prove to be a turnoff for some, but it seems like many people haven't even bothered checking it out and have, for the most part, ignored it. That's really too bad, as I am finding it to be very relaxing and enjoyable, and it has so far been my favourite anime of the season.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
Just watching zetman and dusk maiden of amnesia this season. I'd like to start reading the manga for Zetman at some point.
Watts

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
As much as I like Naruto, the Rock Lee spin-off is ridiculous. Even fans from Lee will not like as the character acts outofcharacter and just gives a bad impression to the viewers. The Lee from the original series was calmer, did not want to be center of attention and was honorable. Why not make a serious spinoff like Kakashi's and Jiraiya's Gaidens that were really exciting?

I'm a Naruto fan and I'm enjoying the spin-off. It's stupid but it's supposed to be. Team Gai is my favorite team just because of Lee, but it's Ten Ten who makes me love this show. She's had so little screen time in the original show so it was hard to tell what kind of character she was and it's funny to see her freak out and show some personality in this show. (then again, this show shouldn't be taken seriously, it's just for laughs) Lee is really cute in this show and Neji...they made him really cute it's just weird.

Space Brothers is the other show I'm watching this season, but I've only got to episode 2 but it's really good so far. I have to catch up. I should watch Tsuritama after reading this. My friends kept bugging me to watch it but they told me it was about aliens and fish. It looks like it's more than that and I think I'll give it a try today.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Trustilotous wrote:
Reading through the posts, I'm surprised to see that most of the people who commented haven't been watching Natsuiro Kiseki. So far I've been enjoying that show quite a lot. That being said, the apparent lack of an overarching plot may prove to be a turnoff for some, but it seems like many people haven't even bothered checking it out and have, for the most part, ignored it. That's really too bad, as I am finding it to be very relaxing and enjoyable, and it has so far been my favourite anime of the season.
I suspect a lot of people are just commenting on the shows in the column, and Natsuiro Kiseki doesn't have a streaming source. At this point I'm probably going to wait until the season ends if I pick it up at all.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
I am a fan of Mysterious Girlfriend X, and I have to say this about the show - I went back to the scanlations (insert generic intention to purchase a legit release) and confirmed that they REALLY emphasized the horrifying gooey drool in the animation. The mangaka is more successful in showing the saliva as just, you know, saliva, instead of a viscous mess.

Also: Who the hell thought it was a good idea to give Urabe's saliva a yellowish tint in the anime?

The premise is doubly revolting now because the 'drool' looks like mucus. Confused
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
BTW I'm guessing that Shining Hearts: Shiwase no Pan is just going to be added to the column with a great big X and no explanation because it's almost impossible to stay awake through the first episode.[/i]

Only if it is available via a legal stream...

On to my notes and commentary.

First things first: Bamboo, you poor, poor, soul! Rest, drink some nice herbal tea, or a stiff drink if you prefer, and relax before heading into round 2 of this herculean task you have set yourself upon! Bravo!!! The Stream is a wonderful column and I am so glad that you are writing it!

Now, onto the anime:

The Old:
Bodacious Space Pirates: I am continuing with this one and loving it more and more each week! Can't wait to see Bamboo's take on the events of the current arc.

New New Favorites:
Mysterious Girlfriend X: For starters, it isn't all about the drool!

A while ago, when I saw that a manga from the same magazine as my favorite anime of all time (Ah! My Goddess) was coming out this spring, I did a little research to see what it was about. Three relatively sleepless and slightly obsessive days of reading later, I had reached chapter 64 and was tapping my foot and watching the calendar, waiting for chapter 65 to be released! Now I get to see the story and the characters that captured my heart in all its animated glory! So far, it is actually better than the manga! The pace of the adaptation is almost painfully slow, knowing that there may never be more than 13 episodes. (So far, the episodes have covered the one-shot that started it all, and chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 8, with a slight tip of the hat to 5, which suggests that chapter may be glossed over. Next week's preview appears to be, at least partially, chapter 6, probably with one of the later chapters mixed in.) That leaves a whole lot of chapters that won't make it into this season. I am an unabashed fan-boy for Urabe. I even started a group on MAL for the anime. It is fresh, original, and ultimately a very sweet (and chaste) love story. It is refreshing to see a show that doesn't shy away from the carnal urges of the teenage body, but doesn't revel in them either. Tsubaki's dreams are extremely hormonally charged, but the actual relationship is very modest, with Urabe having some obvious issues with physical contact, but the emotional bond between the two is extremely well portrayed, and very fun to watch as it grows and matures into a very realistic loving relationship, in a supernatural, twisted, and slightly kinky way... Chaste, yet kinky... How many shows in any medium can pull that off?

Kids on the Slope: The music, the characters, the story, everything is hitting just the right notes! I was a little leery at first, since the beginning appears to be a data dump from the Otaku database, with 1966 input to ensure the side characters have appropriate enthusiasms. However, by the end of the first episode I was hooked, and the next two just got better! Young love, jazz music, an actual confession of love in episode 3... If it weren't for MGX, this would be my favorite, for sure!

Accel World: I was put off by the almost SD style of the protagonist, until I decided that it was a portrayal of how low his own opinion of himself is. I would still like to know more of his back story and why a guy that seems to have at least a couple of good friends, or HAD, spoiler[based on the end of episode 4, that may be down to 1, and she is dating the jerk...] could end up with such an advanced state of self loathing. I am also curious to learn more of Kyroyukihime's back story. It is fairly clear that she isn't the "perfect student" that everyone sees, and the fourth episode revealed some of her issues, then dropped the bomb on her, spoiler[leaving her as the helpless damsel for the brave knight to protect... still not sure how that's going to wash... it could take it in the wrong direction... However, her confession of love to Haru was touching and surprisingly realistic. This is a girl that has spent the past six years of her life absorbed in a virtual world to the extent that she is one of the "kings" of that little pocket universe, when she encountered a mind as agile as the impressive little piggy, Haru, she was intrigued. When she delved deeper into his psyche, she honestly began to feel real compassion and admiration for him, then when he told her about direct-linking with the 30cm long cable with his childhood friend, in her bedroom, when her parents were gone, her brain just flipped and she realized that what she was feeling was more than admiration or a desire to help him achieve great things in order to help her. It was Love! She doesn't care about physical appearance in the least! She hasn't lived in that world for years! Now if she can make it through this crisis and help Haru to move to the same place she is, where his unattractive, underdeveloped physique no longer matters and he can see himself as the capable, extremely agile, and, yes, attractive mind that she sees him as, there will be real character growth in the story, along with some extremely kick-butt action sequences and some nice fan service on the side!] Wink

Nyarko-San: Another Crawling Chaos: Funny! Makes reference to roleplaying games, even shows a character sheet! Makes fun of absolutely everything, with no holds barred and a loving wink, so it doesn't come off as mean spirited! It is just pure fun! (His mom is AWESOME!)

Have watched but not caught up on, probably will keep though:
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia: I have only seen the first episode, so I didn't read the whole section BD wrote about it. So far, I really like the main characters and it seems much more lively and funny than I expected.

Space Brothers: I liked the first episode, but the supernatural/superstitious/alien aspects of the story were giving me a bad vibe. I will catch up on it soon, but if it is too heavy on the superstition and alien stuff, I won't keep going. It isn't that I am against supernatural elements in an otherwise realistic show, as my love of MGX demonstrates, but I don't like the idea of a show about near future space travel getting all bogged down in superstition! It hits too close to home, in terms of why we, as a species, have not gotten the heck off this rock yet! My space advocacy mode doesn't want to see lack of realism in a near future space story!

Upotte!!: The dichotomy between episodes 1 and 2 is enough to keep me coming back for a bit, despite the really poor art, creepy premise, and hyper-sexualization of middle school age girls/guns.

(Not in "The Stream": Hyouka and Natsuiro Kiseki. Both look like they could be good, but I haven't watched all of the available episodes yet...)

Shows that I haven't watched yet, but do plan on catching at some point in the near future...:
Tsuritama - I am intrigued by the good reviews...
Lupin III - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - I haven't seen any of the older Lupin III stuff, but it sounds very good.
Polar Bear Cafe - Sounds really interesting!
Kuroko's Basketball - My son loves it, so I practically feel like I've watched it through his telling me about it, but I haven't gotten there yet...
Medaka Box - I really should try it out...
Jormungand - Ditto.
Sankarea - When Funi finally gets around to it! Why are they taking so long! Do they not understand what the first two syllables of the word "Simulcast" mean? ARGGGGGG!
Norbie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, thanks for another informative 'The Stream". It will make my choices a little easier and less time consuming.

Since the first edition of "The Stream" in November 2011, i've built up an interest in latest anime which is shown in Japan - no more waiting to see what is released in the US/UK/Australia in a few months, or even years. I even got myself a Crunchyroll account, however, living in Australia we don't get everything because of all these copyright issues between these and those licensors Rolling Eyes But we have to make do with what we got. Sad

Adding some of the numbers, it looks like there are around 25 shows

I'm a sucker for slice-of-life anime so i was happy to read that we get a top quality one, Kids on the Slope. It comes with high expectations due to the talent involved. After three episodes i am throughly enjoying the story. As a novelty in the show, when a character is playing an instrument, they are animated as if someone was playing that instrument in real life. A nice little touch. Didn't K-On have the same novelty?

Lupin III arrives in a new series, Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, and it looks one of the more stylish shows released. It is beautiful and a feast for the eyes, a kilidescope of animation which needs to be seen on a large HD tv and not some laptop to be throughly enjoyed. However, unlike Bamboo who feels the "shadowing done with similar ink strokes ... to be gritty and unrefined", feels to me cheap and amaturish. Thankfully it's not like the fly in the ointment.

I also can not miss the two WTF shows of this season - Upotte!! and Mysterious Girlfriend X Definitely shows for the ages and something to tell your grandchildren about.

I assume that you all love old-school anime designs, yes? If you didn't then you are an anime hater!! Evil or Very Mad Maybe you are a Communist as well!!!Shocked Wink Laughing

Ozma, a short stint this season but i loved watching the animation. A definite purchase in BD is english friendly.

There are a number of shows that i haven't seen yet but are looking forward catching up with them; Space Brothers, tsuritama, Medaka Box, Eureka 7 AO, and a few others.

It can't all be gold and the following i've decided to stop watching; Polar Bear Cafe (I Don't like the animation, and the animals aren't cute), Kuroko's Basketball (“Generation of Miracles” Shocked ) , Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (average, boring), Folktales from Japan (I don't like the animation, plus i'm over 10 years old)

Then there are shows i miss for no real reason. eg Fate/Zero

Well.... this is my first proper post on these forums so please be gentle. Cool

Once again, thank you Bamboo and i'm looking forward to your next report. This time however its 10000 words so no slacking off.

Be nice
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I hope Saint Seiya Omega turns out well. When I heard that there would be an academy, I was afraid it was going to be like Yugioh GX. I was kind of right; there were bullies in the academy and bad and good teachers. Still, I had pictured something worse. I hope the androgynous Ryuho does not turn out to be like Shun who was was defeated and had be helped by somebody else. I'm still curious if Toei is really gonna bring back the old five protagonist since they appear twice in the opening.

I'm delightfully impressed with Ryuho so far, and the academy is a lot more plot-functioning than Yu-Gi-Oh GX - unlike the first Saint Seiya, where the Saints are already trained and ready to save the world, Palaestra is actually providing a look into Saint training. I'm pretty sure, judging by the protagonist's intentions, that they won't be in Palaestra for the entirety of the series either. As for the other Saints, there's been direct mentions of both Seiya and Shiryu, so I bet we're going to see stuff on the others. Very Happy
dany_elle1908

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Anime i adore:

Kuroko's Basketball: for a shounen and sport anime the graphic is pretty clean, the characters lol i like very much kuroro, though "generation of miracles" sounds a bit cliche still very good and pleasant to watch.

Space Brothers: Something i took random because i was bored. Glad i did is very good. I don't mind the"alien stuff" from first ep.

Enjoyable and watching:

Ginga e Kickoff!! - though is aimed toward kids this anime is funny but the animation sometime is not 2 great how was in the 1st ep

Hiiro no Kakera - ah ern animation not bad but lol the female character is another annoying girl which needs protection or does stupid things like all -.- why an reverse harem can't have a strong lead female - she annoys me lol...

Hyouka : hm wasn't was i expected from first ep but i'll continue watching

Jormungand: koko is crazy

Kimi to Boku. 2: how could not watch this cuteness

Sakamichi no Apollon : josei :O if i don't mistake, beautiful music, interesting characters, good anime

Sankarea: odd fetish and zombies - clean animation

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia :ghosts and ...

for both fan services , though not fan i'll still keep watching

Tsuritama : odd with a colorful animation but interesting

Zetman: fast and hm i read the manga a bit lot of changes...got kinda lost when the girl which was with jin got a bit crazy - lol they just met from where the jealousy

Dropped:

Accel world: lost interest
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

The great thing about this season is how family friendly it is. I was able to convince my Dad to watch more than 1 episode of both Kids on the Slope and Space Brothers with me. I can't really remember him enjoying any anime before, and it's so great to share the medium I enjoy most with him. I don't think it'll last the whole season, but I think he liked Space Brothers most, so maybe I can convince him to watch a few more episodes of it...

Thanks! And I agree with this a lot. I think this season has a lot of great titles that can easily enjoyed by people who have never watched anime before, because they are very real stories. Both Space Brothers and Kids on the Slope are very relate-able, especially for those who skew a little older. I think Kids on the Slope is very nostalgic, while Space Brothers kind of reflects down moments in life that we've all had. Mutta is one of my favorite characters from this season.

Also, the location research is fantastic! The Houston Space Center depicted looks exactly like I remember from my childhood family vacation (can anyone who's been there recently attest to this?).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11