• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Fallout: New Vilification

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

Ah, I suppose I should be used to it now. I guess I just assume people on the ANN forums have at least heard of it. Don't know why, though; perhaps because homosexuality has been brought up time and again. Of course, I have a close gay friend who had no idea what asexuality was until I came along. I know a few people who are into the BBC Sherlock series, though I'm only slightly aware of the asexual aspect of the show. How is it?

Well there's still lots of misconceptions about bisexuality (that we have a choice, that we're sex-starved and not happy with a 'side') even within more LGBT aware communities, so I wouldn't expect a lot of gender / orientation awareness just because a community's got a higher tolerance for gays.

Sherlock is really good. I'm a fan of the original Conan Doyle books, and the BBC shows do a good job of being their own thing while giving respecting the 'feel' of Conan Doyle's canon. The asexuality thing comes up because the BBC writers (Gatiss and Moffat) went out of their way to declare Sherlock asexual (not in the series canon, but in interviews), which was something Conan Doyle never stated in his books, although of course Conan Doyle wouldn't have been aware of it. Anyway, I think popular knowledge of what asexuality was increased with that.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

Ah, I suppose I should be used to it now. I guess I just assume people on the ANN forums have at least heard of it. Don't know why, though; perhaps because homosexuality has been brought up time and again. Of course, I have a close gay friend who had no idea what asexuality was until I came along. I know a few people who are into the BBC Sherlock series, though I'm only slightly aware of the asexual aspect of the show. How is it?

Well there's still lots of misconceptions about bisexuality (that we have a choice, that we're sex-starved and not happy with a 'side') even within more LGBT aware communities, so I wouldn't expect a lot of gender / orientation awareness just because a community's got a higher tolerance for gays.

Sherlock is really good. I'm a fan of the original Conan Doyle books, and the BBC shows do a good job of being their own thing while giving respecting the 'feel' of Conan Doyle's canon. The asexuality thing comes up because the BBC writers (Gatiss and Moffat) went out of their way to declare Sherlock asexual (not in the series canon, but in interviews), which was something Conan Doyle never stated in his books, although of course Conan Doyle wouldn't have been aware of it. Anyway, I think popular knowledge of what asexuality was increased with that.

Ah, the can't-pick-a-side bisexual argument. It's really a shame, especially when people who support gay marriage and the like start treating it like a sham. The entertainment industry is also pretty bad with portraying bisexual characters--or even writing them in.

That's really interesting. I've thought about watching it; it's only 6 episodes long and my roommate really enjoyed it. It's nice to have asexual characters. I'm unaware of many series where there are. We did have that absolutely horrific episode of House. I've heard some people theorize that novel Sherlock was asexual. There was no word to use back then, but his actions reflect it.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
You know, I don't think I mentally can really make a connection between sexual attraction and romantic attraction. The two have always been very separate for me.

Anyway, this thread has really jumped around a whole lot. It started with fanservice and now has moved to people discussing their sexual orientations and reasons why they haven't pursued relationships of the romantic/sexual variety*. I vote we talk about candy next.

*And there is nothing wrong with doing that.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of Moe Animation: Will Selena Gomez star in the Lovedol: Lovely Idol movie? Or in the Idolm@ster movie? Live action of course. And we all need to see the G4U movie.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Or in the Idolm@ster movie? Live action of course. And we all need to see the G4U movie.

What heresy do you speak of? Live action Idolm@ster movie? That's impossible. I can't imagine that. No female actress can live up to the pure awesomeness of Hoshii Miki ~nano. Very Happy

G4U movie? A movie based on the Gravure 4 U side-games? Just pick up any old Japanese idol videos...that's about as close as you'll get.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
I vote we talk about candy next.
My local Walgreens has 1/4 lb peanut butter cups. They are awesome.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
1/4 pound? That's huge!!!
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The best sweet thing I've ever tasted is ice cream with rich coffee poured on it. Forgot what it's called. It's French.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
The best sweet thing I've ever tasted is ice cream with rich coffee poured on it. Forgot what it's called. It's French.
I like Ice cream with Bailey's on top. It's Irish. Wink
PCGOD

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

I had a "coffee-float" over Memorial Day weekend. It was amazing, and somewhat better than its root-beet counterpart.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I've been hooked on Dots and other gooey odd-flavored candies lately. They're addicting.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:

*sigh* Ah, man. Dai Sato couldn't have been more on the mark. Most anime these days really don't do much of anything other give people a reason to run away from their problems.

I think there is a position where you can talk about your problems without trying to hammer home the idea of the world being a miserable place like a lot of the anime in the 80's and 90's.

Also, remind me again, what is the most successful anime of the last two years?

For some reason its escaping me, but I feel it should be relevant to this discussion...

PMMM <3
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
On the other hand, if there is any slow pans over a male character taking a shower, there will be a ton of fanboys screaming "Fujoshi bait!" and instantly dropping the show.
...That actually reminds me, something like that did happen a couple episodes ago in Hunter x Hunter, and my only thought was "you don't see male shower scenes often". I wasn't offended, or outraged, or anything. Just a little surprised.
I laughed when I read this little side conversation because this is a running joke in drama fandom. If you don't see that many male shower scenes in anime it must be because K-dramas have gone above & beyond the quota for all of Asia. Thanks, Korea! Razz Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
painebrian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Why is there always so much talk about how women are portrayed in fanservice anime/manga but never any talk about how men are portrayed in reverse harem or yaoi anime/manga?

Seriously. I have yet to see a topic where a male reader or viewer rants about how he doesn't like being portrayed as a sadistic perve (but yet with a good heart!) or rants that men with long hair are often portrayed in the uke position in all the yaoi stuff he's seen, and any other trope that fits in these genres. And I have to ask myself the question - "Why?". Why haven't men taken a stand, accusing us women of being pervy pigs when we degrade them just as much as they do to us.

Sure, you can point out that anime and manga aimed towards women (usually) don't feature men stripping every other scene. But then again, that doesn't appeal to the majority of women. Women tend to enjoy the story leading up to it, the emotional foreplay and the double entendres. Mangaka like Aya Shouto make a killing drawing multiple incredibly attractive men in compromising positions with the same woman in a story...and yet, the male audience isn't vocal about being portrayed as a creature who's sole purpose is to protect the one female while defeating the other men who are all lusting after her, thus securing his alpha male mating privileges?

Seems a bit one sided if you ask me.

So while I may not like the "oppai matrix" of High School of the Dead, I shrug and ask myself if I'm any better when I re-read chapters of "Barajou no Kiss" for Kaede fanservice.

Anyways..

I think that most readers, male or female, understand that these are just fantasy stories and do not believe that others should behave this way. Yeah, regardless of our gender and sexuality, we all have our fantasies, but rarely do people act on them in public (assuming they're sane and not under the influence of something) and with an unwilling participant.

Personally, I'd rather leave people to their own devices. If watching boobs and jiggles is your thing, great. If watching 5 men all vie for the same cookie-cutter female character, great. But like religion and politics, as long as you don't force that appreciation down my throat, I have no problem with it.

not all men.... some alpha male portray such characters to exude their masculinity Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 32 of 32