• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I thought MuvLuv would have been more than popular enough to do that? Doesn't it rank well up there in top visual novels?

Well, Muv Luv Alternative was the 2nd best selling VN of 2006 (behind only Sengoku Rance), but its still not to the level of Key or Type Moon stuff... and I'm not sure if a 2nd tier VN would be able to get the kinda budget they'd need. Getting at least 75+ episodes with really high budgets for the mecha fights isn't easy. I did hear though that Total Eclipse is a test to see if theres enough of a fanbase, so if this thing sells like 20-30k, they might be able to greenlight an actual adaption of Muv Luv. I have my doubts it'll do that well though.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
(Please note I do like K-ON)
I just finished Tari Tari it has promise. if anyone could pull off a realistic K-ON it is probably PA especially after the wonderful job they did with iroha.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Well Total Eclipse does take place before Alternative. Maybe they'll do the original games if TE does well enough.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
...and the mecha fans may be turned off by the harem antics of Extra.

It's like you don't know that Infinite Stratos was hugely popular for combining Mecha with Harem. Well allow me to fill you in . . .
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
...and the mecha fans may be turned off by the harem antics of Extra.

It's like you don't know that Infinite Stratos is a thing. Well allow me to fill you in . . .

Well, Extra doesn't really have mechas. It just has like... typical harem stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9GmMSFk0Wk

Hard to believe this turned into a hardcore mecha series.
mckg1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
mhh, I think ill check out tari tari, cannot wait for the other staff members of anime news network start previewing the rest of this summer line up. Wink
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Well that was the idea. Extra was purposely made as generic as possible so the switch to grimdark mecha tale stands out more.

Muv Luv is one of those series whose reputation preceeds it so they'd probably go into an Extra anime knowing what would come next.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
That makes no sense to force someone to sit through hours of text for something that's entirely inferior and not even related in terms of storytelling. Especially not if Unlimited and Alternatives storylines are that well praised.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
That makes no sense to force someone to sit through hours of text for something that's entirely inferior and not even related in terms of storytelling. Especially not if Unlimited and Alternatives storylines are that well praised.

Well, I actually enjoyed Extra, since its an above average harem VN by itself, and I'm a fan of those types. But in the context of the story, its necessary. Unlimited and Alternative wouldn't be able to be done without Extra being what it is.
zeroyuki92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:

It's related. Extra is like a gigantic foreshadowing story device and character development that takes an entire Visual Novel as it's form.

It's kind of "If all of this war doesn't exist, what will happen to all of my crewmates and how will they interact" showcase. And it's proven effective. Also, Unlimited also isn't much better than Extra if we saw them as standalone stories.

=====================================

I'm glad that general reactions to Total Eclipse weren't bad, especially since it has a pretty low budget. I thought ANN reviews will be too bothered with the tight skinsuits (which actually has a purpose), but I'm glad they didn't.

Well, about why there are many girls in military, why humanity is losing, why they created mech army, what is BETA, why Japan has shogunate, why mechs use swords, what are other nations doing, are other countries have cool mechs too, etc will be answered with future episodes. Don't worry, Muv Luv universe has a very rich and detailed setting to be explored for.

Also, I'm waiting for 2nd episode impression, since it was supposed to be played simultaneously with the 1st episode. Many things will happen there Smile

About Zuikaku, it's just a modification of old, first generation TSF (mechs in muv-luv universe). They're not a key-weapon, just another middle-class TSF in army that used by Royal Guard regiments.[/b]
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
Heh, anyone else notice the song the choir was singing in Tari Tari was "Reflectia" from True Tears? Already added that one as trivia.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Tari Tari is the first CR simulcast I checked out. It was good and fun.

The vibe I got from the show was if this was Hanasaku Iroha if it took place in school instead of the inn.

The transfer student was highly amusing since he's been away for 12 years - customs and still picking up stuff in Japanese. Regarding the fact that he didn't get a lot of screen time...well, hopefully that'll change since he is one of the main characters and episode sets up Konatsu as the main character.

I agree the pregnant homeroom teacher was awesome...especially her comment to Sakai about boyfriends.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
PlatinumHawke wrote:

Well, I actually enjoyed Extra, since its an above average harem VN by itself, and I'm a fan of those types. But in the context of the story, its necessary. Unlimited and Alternative wouldn't be able to be done without Extra being what it is.

Necessary may it be, but it is a weakness of the story itself if caring for the stuff in Alternative hinges on liking a run-of-the-mill harem VN. I don't think that the fanbase ovelaps enough. What I read of Extra was extremely average and I didn't think Unlimited was that impressive either. It established the setting, but didn't do much with it before the ending. It's Alternative that everyone crazes over and Extra is something you have to push yourself through.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
I checked out the pre-air of Campione!; it isn't horrible but it isn't good either.

Too much is thrown at the viewer, the characters are pretty stock, and the battle looked like it was done on the cheap. The second half of the episode was really rushed and the events depicted therein seemed like they were ripped from an episode in the middle of the season. Finally, the show lacked a sense of realism, like the events could happen in real life. That hurts my suspension of disbelief and the story's attempt at world-building.

Campione! would have to get significantly better for me to bother following it past the third episode. Heck, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just cut it loose now.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I checked out the pre-air of Campione!; it isn't horrible but it isn't good either.

Too much is thrown at the viewer, the characters are pretty stock, and the battle looked like it was done on the cheap. The second half of the episode was really rushed and the events depicted therein seemed like they were ripped from an episode in the middle of the season. Finally, the show lacked a sense of realism, like the events could happen in real life. That hurts my suspension of disbelief and the story's attempt at world-building.

Campione! would have to get significantly better for me to bother following it past the third episode. Heck, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just cut it loose now.

the battle was just spoiler[that chick standing, doing magic stuff and then standing and sending some beam with a sword at an enemy whose fighting style was running forward and thrashing things. so was the battle at the episode's end.]
that's really really boring action for my money. and i don't care the least for realism or no realism.

just drop it. feel the freedom, pick up something interesting from your backlog or rewatch a favorite series again. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 62