• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto DVD Box Set 12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
I saw a NAruto filler once. Mail Ninjas FTW.
I shot myself through my [expletive] head.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
I think a major problem with the fillers is that Kishi's story at that point (right before the time-skip) had a good place to put tons of filler in without throwing off the pace of the story, but it was also a place where there wasn't a proper set-up for a filler arc that at least feels somewhat relevant.

Kishi later on said that eventually he started leaving details out of the manga so the anime can expand on it. I've realized what those are now, at least some of them. For example, the first Shippuden filler arc did have plenty of filler characters/events, but it did show us a good deal of spoiler[Asuma's backstory], which Kishi only gave hints at in the manga (also helps that this filler arc had a pretty good final battle, until the last two episodes). The second filler arc deals (from what I've heard, I need to catch up) with spoiler[the three-tails, another element that Kishi didn't focus much on], and there are later events in the manga that could be "filler" expanded on spoiler[Team Snake fighting Kisame, the 1st vs. Madara, etc.]. I like that Kishi did this, it helps the anime out a lot (and for those mentioning Shippuden falling in quality, really only the second arc and parts of the first arc were that bad. The third arc, spoiler[Hidan/Kakuza] was actually even better than the manga version IMHO.

Honestly, the 80 filler-thon didn't bother me. It had VERY little canon in it, so I just jumped ahead to Shippuden. Obviously, anime reviewers don't have that luxury unfortunately. Anime smile + sweatdrop
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
posterior_praiser wrote:
Most sane people would skip these fillers. All 100 episodes of it. Couldnt they have just taken a break? Seriously.

Unfortunately they couldn't. Unlike in America where tv stations pay for the rights to air television programs, in Japan the creators of a television program like an anime pay a tv station for a slot when their show will broadcasted. Had Naruto taken a break it would have lost it's time slot and pierot would have had to repay for a slot and who knows whether or not they would have gotten the same one back or if they could afford to get it back. Anyway that's why fillers even exist, not only are the creators at the mercy at the mangaka that's still making the material but they are also at the mercy of their broadcasting station in that if they want to keep the show on the air they have to keep making episodes or stand the chance of losing their slot. This is also why fillers essentially don't exist in western animation. If by chance a show is adapting something ongoing, here in the west there is always the option to take a few months off and come back and air the rest at a later date. The Japanese just don't have this luxury.

But... considering the amount of money it must take to animate over a hundred filler episodes, wouldn't that be enough to buy their old spot back? Naruto is hugely successful, so there's little chance they'd have been rejected to get their old spot back. Many series break into multiple seasons so as to keep true to the manga. And they're generally better for it.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Of course the dub lost it's charm and excitement look what they have to work with.

That's what I thought when I read that part. The actors obviously realized the drop in quality, so it would hard to muster up any enthusiasm about it.

I'm still picking up these box sets just because I'm a completist when it comes to Naruto.
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
So that means we won't see the end of the Naruto series 1 releases until volume 23 or 24.

Um, it'll be ending at about vol 16.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Considering CN is crapping out with showing a dub episode every Saturday like they should be doing, it's obvious these stupid fillers will never get done.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh hi there, Code Geass and Gundam 00 season 2. You're how to deal with a gap in material effeciantly

What? But both Code Geass and Gundam 00 do not have this problem because they are anime originals, thus having no manga to work off of or catch up to and need fillers for time. Or am I missing the point of pointing those two series out?
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Are they ever going to give Hinata a cover. I'm not buying the DVDs either way, but...
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
However, in the beginning and the very end of this long filler stretch there is a little bit of canon content sprinkled throughout that you will have to know before Shippuden, so for those I recommend either just watching those few parts of those episodes on Hulu or something

What # episodes are these?
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
You guys are no fun.I actually like the fillers so far.Sure the epsiodes lost it's edge,but it's still fun to watch.Especially the Riga arc and the beetle arc.Was very interesting to see that protective 8 trigrams technique.

Hope it comes out in shippuden, BUT i'm really getting worried with no news on the english dub versions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Mmm... I have to file a kind of a dissenting opinion here. While I agree the quality of a given story was hit-and-miss, in general I found the filler period to be entertaining, at least. One of the benefits of having a large supporting cast is that you can shift focus to them for a while when something prevents the main story from progressing, and that's what happens here. The reviewer mentioned that Hinata and Rock Lee are the main beneficiaries, which is true, but there's something for nearly everyone. Kiba has some great fight scenes, Shikamaru gets to do his thing later on, and Anko gets to be interesting for the first time ever. (And, if I've heard correctly, the last. Pity.) Iruka- the most criminally underused character in the leaf village- gets an arc to himself. Even the bland Ino gets an episode to steal the show.

And yeah, there is some bland storytelling, but there's also some very good stuff in there, if you care to keep your eyes open. In particular, The Bikochu Beetle storyline, the aforementioned Anko arc, and the Gennou story near the end are well worth watching. The last of those, in fact, I will gladly call one of the best Naruto stories ever written. It's twisty, suspenseful, and gives nearly the entire main cast of the show something significant to do within the plotline, while still staying true to what the series is about.

I should also point out that the canon material isn't always sterling either. It takes a good long time- most of the first season, in fact- to find its' voice. Afterwards, it still has some very weak spots- most notably the Hunt for Tsunade arc- painfully slow- and the opening episodes of Shippuden which bogged down due to the decision to jumble up the manga's plotlines. And although Kishimoto often transcends the tired shonen cliches, he's all to willing to fall back on them when his imagination fails- how many times has Naruto's devotion to his friends been hammered into us? When Garra or Sasuke is involved in the story, expect it to be beaten to a bloody pulp.

While I don't argue that there isn't some slow and drab stuff in there, I think the people who merely wave their hand dismissively, say "Bah, filler!", and casually discard more than a third of the series- over forty hours of story, some of it good and most of it at least serviceable- are missing out. When reading a story, you should concentrate on the story it is, rather than the story it's not.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
To tell the truth, I actually liked a good amount of the filler arcs. They were quite amusing to watch (and no, I'm not saying this just because I'm a Narutard; I actually did enjoy watching them). Now some of them, yeah, they were boring and I skipped them, but some of them (Infiltrating Sound, Curry of Life, the Star Village, and some of the single episode ones) were actually really good and worth the watching, especially since the dub for them was awesome. I actually can't wait for the set with the Star Village arc to come out on it; personally that was my favorite because of how they handled the lullaby Nagaraboshi.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
To tell the truth, I actually liked a good amount of the filler arcs. They were quite amusing to watch (and no, I'm not saying this just because I'm a Narutard; I actually did enjoy watching them). Now some of them, yeah, they were boring and I skipped them, but some of them (Infiltrating Sound, Curry of Life, the Star Village, and some of the single episode ones) were actually really good and worth the watching, especially since the dub for them was awesome. I actually can't wait for the set with the Star Village arc to come out on it; personally that was my favorite because of how they handled the lullaby Nagaraboshi.

Well of all the fillers so far besides the beetle arc and curry arc, the anko arc is definately interesting to see.it was susprising to find out a funi VA was little anko.Wonder how that happened?

But of course the best of all the fillers is epsiode 101. Just how many masks does kakashi has anyways???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
Yes, the episode about Kakashi and his mask was the only filler episode that actually amused me. There's lots of attempts at humor, but that's the only successful one imo.

Anyway, isn't this the volume where Hinata unveils a new technique? So... that would directly break one of the rules the reviewer declared for filler (and he's right that it's normally a hard and fast rule). 'Cause honestly I love the episode where Hinata fights off the three bee ninja singlehandedly and it seems that it's in this volume.

Also, "ditto" to those who liked the Anko and Gennou arcs. Overall it would have been nice to be able to have been able to foresee which filler was going to be lame and skip it, and just watch the decent parts, but, alas, I had no one to guide me through the minefield so I've had to watch all of it, even the wincingly bad parts that present Naruto as essentially retarded (such as not recognizing the fake-Gai and fake-Rock Lee, sigh).

Oh, and actually I kind of liked the arc about the ninja girl who is a master of genjutsu, even though it had some of the usual illogical leaps that filler tends to have, because genjutsu is such an overlooked technique in Naruto.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I just get the arcs I like on itunes. Like the Mizuki arc which was decent. Then I don't have to get the whole boxsets
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
However, in the beginning and the very end of this long filler stretch there is a little bit of canon content sprinkled throughout that you will have to know before Shippuden, so for those I recommend either just watching those few parts of those episodes on Hulu or something

What # episodes are these?

Ah man, I'll get back to you in the coming days. It would take a while to figure out, and I'd rather spend my time with some other things first. Wink

By the way, freaking amazing avatar. Thanks for that! Cool

doctordoom85 wrote:
Kishi later on said that eventually he started leaving details out of the manga so the anime can expand on it

Whoa whoa whoa hold on; this changes everything. I need a source for this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3