• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainbanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Mnemosyne is probably the worst show I've seen in years. It has fanservice at every turn, which is nice, but it is basically a softcore hentai instead of an anime series. The plot doesn't make even a little bit of sense until the very last episode (and not in a good way). There is rape, BDSM, and enough blood to fill a swimming pool. If there had been a good story to tie it all together, it would have been great, but the story is truly awful.

I have a hard time believing that Funi isn't going to edit out the rape and BDSM at the very least. I can't remember the last time I saw lesbian sex in a funimation title either. Violent and bloody S&M is probably the last thing I ever figured I'd see in a funi release.

If there is a bright side, it is probably that the animation quality doesn't disappoint. That is probably the only bright side however. I honestly have no idea what group Funi is planning to market this to, other than the group that has already seen Mnemosyne in Japanese and loved it. Maybe they figure they can sell it to the Higurashi crowd? Or the Hellsing crowd? (Hellsing had a decent story, I'm not making a comparison on story here).

Congratulations to anyone that was hoping for this to get an English release, but I'd say buyer beware to anyone that doesn't know what they are in for.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I mostly agree with the above post. It was a weird show but overall I couldn't make heads or tails of the story they were trying to present. Finished it because it was an OVA (the animation wasn't anything particular special) and because it was just so weird it warranted finishing, like Project ICE, which is probably one of the closest anime I could compare it to.

The amusing thing is that you can expect lesbian sex in every single episode.
Jinxso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I never even heard of this before this announcement. Reading up on the premise I think this would be worthy of checking out.

A bit short at only 46 minutes running time hopefully it won't be one of those cases you finish it and go..so umm yeah, now what? heh
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Jinxso wrote:
I never even heard of this before this announcement. Reading up on the premise I think this would be worthy of checking out.

A bit short at only 46 minutes running time hopefully it won't be one of those cases you finish it and go..so umm yeah, now what? heh

46 minutes running time PER EPISODE. There are 6 episodes.

Quote:

where do you get that impression?

You can't EVER replace Kugimiya

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:

I have a hard time believing that Funi isn't going to edit out the rape and BDSM at the very least. I can't remember the last time I saw lesbian sex in a funimation title either. Violent and bloody S&M is probably the last thing I ever figured I'd see in a funi release.

Why is it so hard to believe that FUNi will NOT edit a damn thing of this title? Confused
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The amusing thing is that you can expect lesbian sex in every single episode.

Yeah, that was pretty funny, actually. But at least they're straight about it (no pun intended).
captainbanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
captainbanana wrote:

Why is it so hard to believe that FUNi will NOT edit a damn thing of this title? Confused

Well, in light of the case in Iowa, I could imagine them censoring any scene with Mimi at the very least (I think that was her name anyway. The white haired girl)

Other than that, it's mostly a long history of censoring things much more mundane and harmless than bloody lesbian S&M that makes me think they probably will.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Haaah, awesome, Funi. xD I was just saying I'd like to see this licensed the other day!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Descent123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
If Funi censored this I won't buy the DVDs. This is actually the first time since forever that I'm interested in a Funi release!
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Funimation didn't censor any of the gratuitous violence in Baccano! thus far, but admittedly Mnemosyne is a bit more extreme... As for the loli-esque character, that may be covered under the "much older than she looks" clause. These days a "long history" doesn't mean anything. The original content is treated a bit more reverentially by companies, if not just because the fans demand it. The "American companies always butcher it" meme doesn't really apply in most cases.

And just for drama-stirring, of course you can replace Kugamiya. She uses the same voice for 75% of what she does. At least she's not another damned tsundere in this one...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Well, in light of the case in Iowa, I could imagine them censoring any scene with Mimi at the very least (I think that was her name anyway. The white haired girl)

Other than that, it's mostly a long history of censoring things much more mundane and harmless than bloody lesbian S&M that makes me think they probably will.

Bull honky. H-games have been pulling the "She's over 18 and in college, honest" move for years, and they've never had a problem, and given that it's actually plot-relevant in Mnemosyne, that just makes it even easier to pull off. As for the long history of censoring, what has Funi censored recently? If the robot from the Negima!? Summer OVA molesting a 14-year old was fine, I don't imagine they'd feel the need to censor Mimi messing around.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
...it is basically a softcore hentai instead of an anime series.

Yup, which is why I lasted two episodes. This series may have developed a nice plot, I don't know, but the constant, vicious brutalization and objectification of women (lesbians tortured for your entertainment!) was nauseating. I'm okay with some pretty gruesome shows, but only if they tend toward the tragic rather than the titillating. This was just vile filth. Feel free to license this, feel free to buy it, but I'd never date a man with this in his collection.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, it's an OVA with lots of pointless sex and over-the-top bloodshed?

My, the old trifecta of anime stereotyping rears its ugly head again Rolling Eyes

Looks like a total pass, especially since I don't care for lesbian sex (bleh). Or rape. Or BDSM.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Unit 03.5-ish, definitely passing on this title. Doesn't sound appealing to me. Still, Funi delivered some titles I'll probably buy (Tower of Druaga, Bamboo Blade, My Bride is a Mermaid, and the one from yesterday, forgot its name) this week, so good job guys.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
One more quick thought to add: I'm surprised this was a Xebec production. The two shows of theirs I've seen (Nadesico, Sorcerer Hunters) are mostly acceptable for, say, the early teen crowd, and both have their fan service moments (SH especially) but neither crosses the realm into the tasteless or bizarre. So...that just baffles me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9