• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Umineko: When They Cry Mystery Anime (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So is the hate for this show just fans of the VN pissing and moaning or do a lot of people unfamiliar with the VN hate it too?
I never touched the VN and thought the anime was atrocious. So no, not just VN fans.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit the Umineko anime at least managed to eventually convince me to go read the VN, but that's just because I found the concept and subject matter interesting enough to keep my attention, despite the show's poor production values and ultimately flawed execution. Many other people were far less forgiving.

Needless to say...while the VN isn't perfect, I still found it far more worthwhile than the adaptation and, in retrospect, I don't really want to watch the TV series again. The only way you'd get me to buy the anime, if only for the sake of novelty value, would be if there was a cheap bare-bones release of Umineko on DVD. Nothing more, nothing less.

Granted, I don't have a Blu-ray player right now, but the show didn't even look good enough to take advantage of the higher quality format either. I don't really see much of a point in purchasing a premium edition.

In other words, like other previous posters have said...call me when someone releases the rest of Higurashi.
WallNotifyer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So is the hate for this show just fans of the VN pissing and moaning or do a lot of people unfamiliar with the VN hate it too?

If you look at it completely on its own merits, it fails in almost every way imaginable. The plot is full of elements never explained, themes that seem like they should be key to the story that the show never really seems to put enough focus on, things that just don't make sense, and plenty of lag time. The characters are underdeveloped and unlikable, with their motivations often being incredibly inconsistent. In fact, some of the characters are so underdeveloped that their presence at all is questionable (looking at you, Lambda and Bern). The VAs range from pretty good to annoying as hell.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
WallNotifyer wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

If you look at it completely on its own merits, it fails in almost every way imaginable. The plot is full of elements never explained, themes that seem like they should be key to the story that the show never really seems to put enough focus on, things that just don't make sense, and plenty of lag time. The characters are underdeveloped and unlikable, with their motivations often being incredibly inconsistent. In fact, some of the characters are so underdeveloped that their presence at all is questionable (looking at you, Lambda and Bern). The VAs range from pretty good to annoying as hell.

I think they nailed Beatrice's va right on the head however and the fact rie kugimiya does the role of the shy maid Shannon that's complete opposite of her normal staple made it worth while. For any fans still lurking around enjoy this project I'm helping out with~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pvU0MHJeaI

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
I still remember this show as being more puzzling than Serial Experiments Lain. With that said, the opening and ending are some of the best anime has to offer.

If you want Shikata Akiko, its way better to play Ar tonelico, which is actually, you know, good.

Yes, that goes for the Umineko games too.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

As someone who hasn't played the VNs, I only hate one particular thing from late in the show and the fact that I'm never going to get a conclusion and answers without playing the VNs. The show itself was kind of annoying as well, because it was rather pointless to even try to make sense of things due to the nature of the show's mystery. You will finish the show with pretty much no idea what is actually going on.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I read the 1st 7 novels w. original sprites. I really want to PS3ify my arcs and replay them. I went to the tweak wiki though, but can't find any instructions on how to do this?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I never touched the VN and thought the anime was atrocious. So no, not just VN fans.

same but that was why I bought the VNs because I was sure it had to be good.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
LordByron227 wrote:
Damn, I read the 1st 7 novels w. original sprites. I really want to PS3ify my arcs and replay them. I went to the tweak wiki though, but can't find any instructions on how to do this?

good luck getting it to work Very Happy
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Haven't played the VNs (I vaguely intend to at some point, though) and it's one of the stupidest shows I've ever seen.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Bob from Accounting wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Haven't played the VNs (I vaguely intend to at some point, though) and it's one of the stupidest shows I've ever seen.

the anime especially in the first and fourth arcs is rather stupid, since not much makes sense.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, I'll bite on this one.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
TeenChibi wrote:
I never finished the "superior" Higurashi, but this one kept me engaged till the end. Take that for what you will.

See, I'm in the same boat as you. I can never get more than halfway through Higurashi. I finish the second Arc, and just can't get myself to keep watching. Umineko, on the other hand, I eagerly anticipated each new episode. I loved it.

And if it had been licensed by Funimation, I'd definitely pick it up. But I'm not a fan of sub-only releases, even if it is on Blu-Ray, so I'll be waiting for some kind of sale to get it cheap, or not bothering with it, though it would be nice to see it uncensored.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
I saw the anime because I have no idea where one can go to read the Visual Novels, and it was....

basically, it reminded me of "And then there were none" but only, y'know,

anime.

I felt like I understand everything that was going on at least, and I've seen worse shows. I can maybe name like 1 or 2 people who might like it, but I probably wouldn't mention it to everyone.

I liked the opening/ending themes though, but only the opera-sounding parts :o
anigu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
Guess I will wait for this one. Not put a lot of hope into it, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6