• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: thumbnailook Bleach figures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Twilightmaster wrote:
Am I the only one so far who realized that Byakuya's and Ichigo's expressions are actually different? Their scowl is BIGGER than the others. Key fact, there. LOL

Actually, I was thinking that as well, but I wasn't gonna say anything until I saw your post. Both Rukia's and Byakuya's mouthes are persed in the middle with Byakuya's being wider, Hitsugaya's and Ichigo's are both smooth arcs with Ichigo's being wider, Grimmjow's is obviously an evil grin and Uryuu's is more a flat grimace, alike how he normally looks, without vertical lines at the edge of his mouth. Now yes, these are minor differences, but since these are desktop shots, I find it quite noticeable. And while I won't argue the validity of Rob's claims (that from any angle other than straight on, most of them look nearly identical), I will say that as a rabid fan of Bleach, I would love to have these, including the variants. And I get the feeling that's kind of who these are aimed at, the blinded franchise fans who want more to buy, despite the quality.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Wow, that's a ripoff. The Grimmjow figure is especially bad because it looks nothing like it's advertising art. Now, I know the other figures don't exactly look like the art either, but you can at least vaguely see the corresponding details in the art and the figures, aside from the lack of sword sheaths on the actual figures.
But with Grimmjow, the art shows him with his shirt open and his scar and Hollow hole visibile, while his figure has a shirt that covers his chest completely, with some sort of dot or something on it. Which is completely different from any outfite Grimmjow has ever worn in the series.

But since all you can see is their heads, I suppose it doesn't matter much anyways.

Um, look closer. The middle section of his 'shirt' is his chest, with the hollow hole. I can't quite tell if the scar is there or not, but the outfit is mostly correct.

EDIT- Upon zooming into the image, there does appear to be a scar on his chest as well.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Wow, that's a ripoff. The Grimmjow figure is especially bad because it looks nothing like it's advertising art. Now, I know the other figures don't exactly look like the art either, but you can at least vaguely see the corresponding details in the art and the figures, aside from the lack of sword sheaths on the actual figures.
But with Grimmjow, the art shows him with his shirt open and his scar and Hollow hole visibile, while his figure has a shirt that covers his chest completely, with some sort of dot or something on it. Which is completely different from any outfite Grimmjow has ever worn in the series.

But since all you can see is their heads, I suppose it doesn't matter much anyways.

Um, look closer. The middle section of his 'shirt' is his chest, with the hollow hole. I can't quite tell if the scar is there or not, but the outfit is mostly correct.

EDIT- Upon zooming into the image, there does appear to be a scar on his chest as well.

Oh, really? Yah, I see what you mean now, but it honestly looked like a shadow to me.
holybell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
They are all really, really, really deformed especially the face expressions. Is it me or that these mini-Bleach figures look like Woodstock from Charlie Brown without the mouths? o_O
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, those were dull. I'd rather watch grass grow or paint dry. But worse than there dullness was the fact that they didn't resemble the art. That's misleading advertising, you know. Hey Rob, you should bring up a class-action lawsuit in an effort to clean up gashapon. After all, who else is going to do it?
rekishi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
ACK! Chibi-Rape!.... oh the horror... Shocked
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I thought Krauser was just crowd-surfing...
Naive.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Gee, I thought they were cute.
But I'm broke from dropping $75 to pick up Capricorn Shura in his Hell Spectre Surplice. I also tried to get the Excalibur phone charm from the machine, but got Death & the title character boy.

At least those Bleach guys attach to bases. I wish the BL boys I bought did (coin figures? something like that). I have cats. We're still looking for Shun Andromeda's head & hope it wasn't eaten. My L bobble head is taped down so he can't be carried off. My daughter was too slow getting her camera out to snap the shot of Luffy being picked up in the paw of a black Maine Coon Cat (shades of Godzilla)

I'd probably buy a couple & be happy (as long as I didn't land Rukia). Don't see collecting the whole set, but I might go a bit further on the Gintama boys.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Krauser flatten the Ichigo gang! I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't poor SD versions of the characters. Bandai this is what SD characters look like

and

Those "impostors" looked like stubs with round things on top.
Elves

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Loganator456 wrote:
Krauser is having a good life so far, eh?
raperaperaperaperaperaperaperape

I second that - at least someone (does Krauser count as someone?) is happy about all the crappy toys Rob's been getting lately. lol

I immediately thought of a mosh-pit if Krauser had been turned over in that last pick. Maybe the Bleach figures could be his slaves and carry him everywhere? Hehe.

Great column as always, Rob!
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only one that actually thought they look good because they're so different, and super deform.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
It's Hidamari Bleach!
Bricken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
My shelves are for my good toys. I have a pile of crap figures in my office; maybe I'll do a contest one day and the winner/loser has to take them all.

Re the badness: Although it may seem like I'm setting out to find the worst figures possible with the intent of slamming them, I'm actually not. I've had at the very least decent hopes of getting decent toys all of these times. For these, I love gashapon and thought these were cute, but I didn't realized they would essentially just be heads. I thought that Motoko figure was going to be great, and was totally burned. Hell, I was excited about the Evangelion cat-girls, because they seemed cute, until I got them and realized they were horrible masturbation fodder.

Obviously, the only explanation is that I'm being punished for being a terrible person.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Bricken wrote:
Obviously, the only explanation is that I'm being punished for being a terrible person.

Or, with regards to the aforementioned catgirls, you are getting punished for not being terrible/creepy enough.
Loganator456

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Bricken wrote:
Hell, I was excited about the Evangelion cat-girls, because they seemed cute, until I got them and realized they were horrible masturbation fodder.
I thought they were cute too, until I saw the review and the pictures. I was pretty disappointed.
KitsuneMiku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
those are really disappointing looking.
(the naruto thumbnail figures are a lot better)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3