• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
On the Set: Dragonball Evolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
Cliffjxn wrote:
Zac wrote:
Da Games Elite wrote:

I mean, let's face it: this movie won't be as bad as you think it will.

Yes, yes it will.

Tell it like it is.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/dragonball-evolution

Quote:
Might be fun when you're hammered and surrounded by friends. Or suicidal, and need something to push you over the edge.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
Now, to wait for them to butcher Akira Wink
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This isn't an April Fool's joke, it's just standard coverage. Yeesh.

I think the joke is that fact that Bamboo is actually reporting this. Everyone knows the movie is horriable. You said so yourself Zac. I don't know what else needs to be said.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
I really don't see how people are taking it as a joke - Not least of all because it's April 2nd pretty much everywhere by now, and April 3rd in some places. 0_o

It's a current event. It's related to Anime. It's a hot-topic at the moment which a lot of anime fans are talking about. It's a work related to a very influential anime franchise...
Why shouldn't it be reported on? 'cause you don't think it's very good? That's the worst of all reasons not to report on something.

I just don't get these forums sometimes (Or, in the case of talkback, almost all of the time).
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Zac wrote:
This isn't an April Fool's joke, it's just standard coverage. Yeesh.

I think the joke is that fact that Bamboo is actually reporting this. Everyone knows the movie is horriable. You said so yourself Zac. I don't know what else needs to be said.

Yeap, Bamboo got in the media trip because it's her job as a member of the press, not as an endorsement of this polished turd of a movie.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:

I'm sorry, but that has Leonardo DiCaprio attached to it. Speculation of butchering need not occur right now.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Mayes Rubeo wrote:
“[Piccolo's trademark white tunic and turban] is not very interesting. We weren't going to do that for the movie. I don't think he was going to work out in terms of visuals, you know."

*cries*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Ausdoerrt wrote:

I'm sorry, but that has Leonardo DiCaprio attached to it. Speculation of butchering need not occur right now.

Yes, it does.

Well, I guess he's not planning to star in it, as of now, so maybe it won't be as bad. If he decides to play one of the main characters, it will be yet another butchered movie.

Seriously though, this stream of American attempts to adopt anime into live-action is because of Speed Racer's relative success - they saw there's money to be had. They though it was easy Laughing

Wachowski brothers are thus far the only people who managed to adopt anime style into Western movies, without completely butchering it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Peothra wrote:

BOYCOTT LIVE ACTION FLICKS!

Thank you

Speed Racer was a lot of fun.

Why does Japan seem happy with live action movies & tv dramas made off anime & manga & western fans are so violently against them?

Heck, the Death Note live-action movie changed a lot from the manga or anime; yet, a 2nd was made! Laughing

Peothra wrote:

The Spiderman movies were okay, The Hulk, Fantastic 4 and X-men movies were pretty bad. Herky Jerky in the following of the story line and such.

Iron Man was awesome! The Watchmen even followed closely. Now on to The Avengers! Laughing

giascle wrote:
People hated Speed Racer because it looked like an acid trip on acid trip and it made their heads hurt. I haven't heard anyone say they hate it because it's unfaithful to the anime.

Old fans think it's true to the spirit of the old Speed Racer Americanized anime (not the Japanese Mach Go Go Go). Young anime fans probably hated the Speed Racer movie; they just don't jive with old Speed Racer.

Ausdoerrt wrote:

Seriously though, this stream of American attempts to adopt anime into live-action is because of Speed Racer's relative success - they saw there's money to be had. They though it was easy Laughing

Speed Racer is considered one of the biggest bombs of 2008, despite it being faithful to the spirit of the TV series. If anything, it showed Hollywood that adaptations should not be faithful to the TV series, or it'll bomb too.

And Transformers has shown that even with changes, it can be a huge hit. Just get a young hot chick. Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Peothra wrote:
I was criticized because I said ALL live action flicks, now, I am criticized for bringing up some American Comics....LOL I can't win.

I was trying to point out how bad LIVE ACTION FLICKS on a whole have been.

That's all

When you make blanket universal statements, you need to back them up. "live action flicks on a whole"?? Clearly you are watching the wrong movies, then. There are many, many excellent live action pictures out there. Sit down and watch all the Oscar nominees for Best Picture from 2007; I would have had a hard time picking.

And even assuming you mean "live action flicks adapted from comic book/graphic novel material of any language origin" (which is my guess), then check out "Iron Man," "Dark Knight," "Spiderman 2," "V for Vendetta," and a good half dozen others. Just because it's live action doesn't guarantee it will suck. Nor does it being animated mean that it will be awesome - and don't even get me started on a list of the bad animated movies I've seen, because the list will go on for a while.

Now, all the clips, all the trailers, all the interviews, all the early responses I've read, those do seem to guarantee it will suck.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
my 2 cents- not that it could ever happen, but I'd love to see the director of the anime direct the live action version as well with the original manga writer hired on as script consultant. I would also give them complete control over casting decisions. I mean, really, do you think the guys who created Akira or Ghost in the Shell aren't capable of making a Hollywood pic?
Leon27Bears

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
alright so here goes, im going to see this movie in theatres. i know it sucks, how do i know, well I've already seen the movie bootleg in english and all and it is freaking horrible. doesnt look cool, they portray the characters horribly wrong, doesnt follow story line AT ALL, all well yea ill elaborate tho for everyone since i dont expect u to exactly take my word for it. Point A, Goku is not a bad ass loser in high school which in the movie, he is, he's the kid the jocks pick on and goku has this crush on chi chi and is pretty much a loser. Point A Fact - Goku is completely oblivious to girls and bullying, in fact, in th emovie goku goes to chi chi's party because yea he has a crush w/e, if it was the show, goku would be going for the food. Point B - Chi chi aint no nice girl chi chi should be a bitch, she should be expecting so much from goku and constantly nagging because really really thats how chi chi is sry people. Bulma, w/e they gave her a gun but idc, idk what to say, her relationship with yamcha had them almost making out in like the first 10 minutes of meeting each other which was kinda dumb. Yamcha - ACTUALLY DID HIS CHARACTER ALRIGHT EXCEPT... guys Yamcha is a martial arts expert, why the fudge isnt he doing a single bit of fighting in the movie? Grandpa Gohans alive, yea we all know thats WTF mode but Piccolo kills him anyway with some gimpy power. Roshi is some asian with no beard, in show he's white with a big beard. ummm what else, it looks gay as fudge, youll be so disappointed when ya guys see that great ape. ummm kamehameha, doesnt look that cool, too whispy for my taste but not that bad, WTF mode when roshi keeps [expletive] calling it air bending, like STFU Roshi this aint [expletive] avatar ya dumb pedifile. and well just see the movie and youll see the fail, like i said, im even going to see it in theatres just as a fan of the series im obligated to do so.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Leon27Bears wrote:
alright so here goes, im going to see this

So...go see it?

Leon27Bears wrote:
im even going to see it in theatres just as a fan of the series im obligated to do so.

Wait, what?

xD you downloaded it, you want to see it again in theaters because you're OBLIGATED?

Stop playin.

No really. >_>;
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I know Peortha was talking comics (Men in Black was a lot of fun), but realistically Harry Potter is a live action adaptation of a novel as is Lord of the Rings. There's always a chance of pissing off the original fans of a novel or comic/manga work, but it's maybe worse with comics because one has a visual fed to one.
However, we see novels made into manga/comics. Anime is often based on novels or manga. Each adaptation changes something.

Yes, it sounds like they really messed with DB when one would think the story isn't all that unappealing for the masses considering how popular the manga & anime are around the world. There are a lot of similarities with the Kal-el/Superman story really. I do plan to see it, although obviously I won't be expecting it to have much in common with the original which is very sad.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Speed Racer was great. I watched the series as a kid, and the movie was the trip to childhood. I'm not sure what the reviewers were looking for in that one, or exactly what is wrong with it - it is what it is, a nice PG movie for kids and for people who loved the series as kids.

Possibly, the American movie industry is unwilling to accept anything that is not made according to its stereotypes. Add a romantic subplot, some gore, a sex scene and I'm sure the reviewers would love it. However, it would completely destroy the point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6