• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam 00 Assistant Director Masaki Kitamura Arrested for Massacre Threat

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Time for Celestial Being to stage an intervention.

I know I shouldn't laugh at this kind of situation.

10/10 right there.

I laughed.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

But he's gonna have a hell of a time proving his innocence if he's still got the router in his possession, as you can't hack the node address (that's how they make sure it's only paying customers that can access the wimax network, they lock it per device ID)

If the router keeps a log of MAC addresses of devices that connect to it, the router could actually help indicate it was accessed by someone else (by that number not matching any device in his possession).

That said, it is also possible to spoof MAC addresses (and is a technique used when a router is only secured by limiting it to specific MAC addresses).

If there were any technically savvy person in the police department, they would take the matching of the IP address as "proof" of guilt with skepticism, barring further investigation. Without further supporting evidence, it is no more proof than if a threatening phone call was made from your landline number, but your telephone interface box was outside your home in a yard accessible by anyone, and no one would normally been observed if they accessed it.

IMHO, unless they have further evidence that simply the threat originating from the IP address of his wireless LAN device, proceeding with an arrest seems ill-advised.

Frankly, based on what little we have in this article, this just doesn't pass the "smell test" for me.
Farix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
So it's either have a case where the police didn't take "probably doubt" into account and potentially ruining Kitamura's career or there is additional evidence that the police haven't reveled.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
If there were any technically savvy person in the police department, they would take the matching of the IP address as "proof" of guilt with skepticism, barring further investigation. Without further supporting evidence, it is no more proof than if a threatening phone call was made from your landline number, but your telephone interface box was outside your home in a yard accessible by anyone, and no one would normally been observed if they accessed it.

If police dramas like Bayside Shakedown and the video game Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney are any indication, such free thinking is frowned upon in the Police Departments and the Justice system.

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Snipped it down to just this for length but everyone should read the original post.

TheAncientOne wrote:
IMHO, unless they have further evidence that simply the threat originating from the IP address of his wireless LAN device, proceeding with an arrest seems ill-advised.

Frankly, based on what little we have in this article, this just doesn't pass the "smell test" for me.

The arrest may not have been ill advised in that this is happening in Japan, not U.S. Japanese laws are usually quite different than U.S. ones from everything I've read and seen. Also, I think things like this (that is someone getting hacked and set up) have happened in the U.S. in just this manner, and they were arrested but later released after the hacking came to light. I remembered something I'd read in the news a few years ago that fit what I'm reading here, so after some some research I found the stories of the cases in question in question here and here. The first url is the story where they arrested the person(s) before figuring out what was going on, the other is a second case which I'm not sure if they did or not.

Still, does any of this mean Mr Kitamura is innocent? No, of course not. Any number of scenarios could be at work here. These range from Kitamura reading stories like these articles and deciding to set up a elaborate ruse, to a disgruntled anime fan doing the same thing, to a straight forward he's really guilty, to too many scenarios to list because reality is often crazier than fiction. I'm hoping the Japanese authorities really do investigate this thoroughly and make sure they have the right person because I worry they may not. I've read things that lead me to believe Japan isn't as wireless savvy as the U.S. is and that could lead to them not investigate this as well as they should Sad .

Edit: farix, probable doubt may not be part of the Japanese penal code - at least in the sense it is used in the U.S. Once again, this is happening in Japan, not the U.S. Many of the protections against unfair accusations we have in the U.S. may not be exist in Japan.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
I've read things that lead me to believe Japan isn't as wireless savvy as the U.S. is and that could lead to them not investigate this as well as they should Sad .

Please. Verses the US Cellular System, Japan is light years ahead of us.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:
I've read things that lead me to believe Japan isn't as wireless savvy as the U.S. is and that could lead to them not investigate this as well as they should Sad .

Please. Verses the US Cellular System, Japan is light years ahead of us.

Actually, that's what I've heard - they prefer cellular verse wireless. So they don't seem to use wireless as much and may not be as in the know on it as the U.S. Really, why use wireless if you can use your cell phone system that does the same thing, only better? This might seem counter intuitive but it isn't really. If you have one technology that's so far ahead and that you are very familiar and comfortable with verse using another one that can be just as good, the latter may not be may not be your first option. [The question here would be is wireless cheaper than the cellular option? Then again it's Japan - the culture doesn't seem to think much about paying more for things if they want it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Wireless is the quant name we Brits use to call our radios in the early days of the technology. If it's a radio signal no matter what it carries, and basically cell, mobile and wireless, are all just radio signals at high frequencies, there is a way to hack it and be all kinds of mischievous with the right know how and computer savey, just ask any cyber-criminal in Russia. 'tis the reason I still won't use wireless when some clever Dick can sit outside my house in a car and easily decrypt the modem encryption from their beefed up laptop whilst I'm typing in my credit card details on Amazon, or where ever, then clone the card for a free ride on my credit limit ( this has actually happened, not to me, but other people here in the UK.) I'll stick to me old copper wire for a while longer. Wink
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I love the guy's works and every anime mentioned were really good watches. I don't think a relatively successful anime industry insider would be that maniacal, not to mention how everyone jokes (badly) on the net including the troll base in Japan nowadays.

I hope he is innocent and hopefully the jokester identified.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I love the guy's works and every anime mentioned were really good watches. I don't think a relatively successful anime industry insider would be that maniacal, not to mention how everyone jokes (badly) on the net including the troll base in Japan nowadays.

I hope he is innocent and hopefully the jokester identified.

Totally agree with this. I hope he is innocent as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

Edit: farix, probable doubt may not be part of the Japanese penal code - at least in the sense it is used in the U.S. Once again, this is happening in Japan, not the U.S. Many of the protections against unfair accusations we have in the U.S. may not be exist in Japan.

IIRC, in Japan, they can detain you for 20 days with no charges at all.

MeggieMay wrote:

Actually, that's what I've heard - they prefer cellular verse wireless. So they don't seem to use wireless as much and may not be as in the know on it as the U.S.

Yeah, wi-fi hotspot is still largely an alien concept over there. Laughing
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I love the guy's works and every anime mentioned were really good watches. I don't think a relatively successful anime industry insider would be that maniacal....

Sometimes the best artists are the craziest ones.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
If the router keeps a log of MAC addresses of devices that connect to it, the router could actually help indicate it was accessed by someone else (by that number not matching any device in his possession).

That said, it is also possible to spoof MAC addresses (and is a technique used when a router is only secured by limiting it to specific MAC addresses).

I agree too, but even if it was ill-advised, they've still got nothing to loose. At the root of all police abuses and f*ck-ups everywhere--Japan, US, any state--malicious or just plain stupidly negligent, is the idea of sovereign immunity. Assuming he's innocent, you don't need to, nor could you, address all potential mistakes and/or abuses with procedures. For as long as procedures were followed they would still not be held responsible. Removing sovereign immunity to expose them to the same risks everyone else faces is the only real solution.

Essentially their activities would be speculative, just like everyone else. They'd take a risk but if they're right then it's justified, and if they're wrong, then they themselves would have to face justice. Of course, there could be a mix of justified and unjustified acts and they should be responsible to the degree of violation or damage caused by those acts.
Digimontamerfreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
damn dude, this is crazy sigh wish the guy the best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2