• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Anime Expo® 2009 Welcomes Cartoon Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The whole ratings thing is a smokescreen. A cable network dedicated to cartoons does not care about ratings. They just dislike the anime fandom (not entirely without reason, I suppose). Really, before Adult Swim ever existed, they were playing repeats of random cartoons for years. You think they cared about ratings? Please. They're using ratings as excuses to dictate based on the personal tastes of the staff.

I'd say "The ignorance is spreading", but previous observations indicate you're far closer to patient zero in the ignorance epidemic. Seriously, what is this thread on? Did someone polyurethane the floorboards and we're all inhaling fumes? That would certainly explain this oncoming migraine...

What the hell kind of mental contortionism are you pulling to suggest that AS doesn't care about their ratings? A TV network is a business, ratings attract advertisers, and advertisers are their INCOME. If they don't care about ratings, they're more retarded than this thread. Why the HELL would they just THROW MONEY AWAY? Your theory makes no sense whatsoever.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
The whole ratings thing is a smokescreen. A cable network dedicated to cartoons does not care about ratings. They just dislike the anime fandom (not entirely without reason, I suppose). Really, before Adult Swim ever existed, they were playing repeats of random cartoons for years. You think they cared about ratings? Please. They're using ratings as excuses to dictate based on the personal tastes of the staff.

I'd say "The ignorance is spreading", but previous observations indicate you're far closer to patient zero in the ignorance epidemic. Seriously, what is this thread on? Did someone polyurethane the floorboards and we're all inhaling fumes? That would certainly explain this oncoming migraine...

What the hell kind of mental contortionism are you pulling to suggest that AS doesn't care about their ratings? A TV network is a business, ratings attract advertisers, and advertisers are their INCOME. If they don't care about ratings, they're more retarded than this thread. Why the HELL would they just THROW MONEY AWAY? Your theory makes no sense whatsoever.

If Cartoon Network cared that much about ratings, it would strip half its programming and change it into a more lucurative all-ecompassing "kid friendly" station, forgoing foreign media entirely, unless otherwise popular enough to draw in viewers. A cartoon channel was something that was obviously designed on a whim by Turner Broadcasting to keep kids busy, a simple outlet for their extensive cartoon library so they can use their other channels to broadcast things that had broader appeal.

That said, I'm sure ratings means something to them, but it's exaggerated by the AS bumps just to rile up the anime fans. Even Cowboy Bebop in its prime couldn't have recieved that much more ratings than the average cartoon during daytime, and shows like Family Guy only recieve a little more than usual.

Really, they never would have aired anime in the first place if ratings mattered that much. It's obvious that they're just using ratings now to excuse their distaste for the fans.

Like a cable network cares how many people are watching a certain cartoon at 11:30 pm. Most channels are airing random filler programming at that time of night that get no ratings at all, why should anyone care how many people are watching Moribito? The answer: they don't. The Williams Street folks just prefer to put on their own progamming, and use the ratings of a popular prime time hit like Family Guy as an excuse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Unless I'm missing the context, that bump doesn't say anything of the sort. Actually, I'm reading the accusation as something completely different. They moved the show to an obscene hour, and people kept watching. They whined, complained, bitched, moaned, threatened, flamed, yelled, screamed, and continued to buy the product being sold. In other words, they're all big talk without the guts to actually do anything. If they were really that upset about this kind of behavior, they WOULD quit. Instead they yell, yell, yell, and come back next week begging for the next episode of CG. Pathetic, man. No sympathy for the emo.
And what's the alterntive, hum? That's right, they don't air the bloody show at all. There goes another anime and here comes two more shows about badly drawn squiggles that were animated in flash that scream random profanities.

Fans should complain in this given instance but they are caught in a catch 22. They can't tell [AS] that thier treatment of the show isn't right via not watching because if they did, that would just give [AS] the power to pull the plug completely.

And in that case, all that does is send a signal to [AS] that profanasquigle is a million seller at the expence of anything of true merit. Or it leads to Darkplace, which I believe is a sencible alterntive to Geass.

BellosTheMighty wrote:
I ADDRESSED THAT. Pay attention! They don't meddle in production because the fans asked them not to, and they abide by that. If you have trouble with the way the series was handled, talk to VIZ. And don't think that, if they had skipped the filler, the fans wouldn't have bitched. They bitched when FUNimation skipped over the first 15 episodes of Dragonball GT, even though the fans had been complaining for years about how bad those episodes were. And continued to complain that those episodes were low-quality after they finally got around to releasing them!
Oh they would of complained, sure, but the net result would be that we'd still be watching Naruto Shipuden.
Such a move would have probably made a tidy sum for Viz as they market those Island Episodes in a seperate set of boxsets marked "THE LOST EPIOSDES" in 72 point Coke Classic style.

Quote: Fans are clingy complaining dip****s who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrilled tremulous voices, the happier you'll be for it."

CN Could of said, "You know what? we're going to get Shipuden now and to hell with what idiot who runs aroud with thier weaboo headbands screaming databyou inbetween thier bitching says." because as you put it yourself with Code Geass, they would still eat it up with a spoon regardless of if it was Naruto Z or not.

But no, two years of island episodes for us and a dead programing block who's demise has all but obliterated the profiblity of airing anime on tv.

But, hey, the fans are happy, right?

Quote:
But seriously, I think you have some delusions about Toonami's "demogrpahic". Toonami demographic was grade school, drifting towards high school in the later hours. They hadn't been trying to appeal to the older crowd since before they moved off of weekdays, by which point they had outgrown that slot too.
And where are Grade/High schoolers normaly at around that time on a Saturday? I'll bet you anything that it wasn't where near a tv unless said tv was being used as a moniter for a games console.
I did not say at any point that the demographic for Toonami was anything but the Tween-Teen age group, you made that up whilst screaming "HEIL SPELLCHECK!".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2