• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metrocon Posts Statement After Founder's Arrest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akumakun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Shall we rename the convention fromn METROCON to LOLICON then? Embarassed
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
In the years I have lived in Florida, I have never heard of this law the way it's phrased. "Carnal Intercourse with Unmarried" . It sounds like a law that was written back in the day and doesn't really make sense with the definitions in the statues listed. It should just be stated as " sexual battery on a minor." This part of the statue confuses the heck out of me.
Quote:
however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose.
Ok, what is a bona fide medical purpose that sexual activity would be needed? The age of consent in Florida is 18 however, the exemption in the law is when an adult 24 or younger can engage in sexual activity with a minor 16 or 17 years of age. Since he was over the age of exemption, that why he got in trouble. I think it was right for Metrocon to post it before facts got twisted. True it hasn't nothing to do with the con but I rather have someone come clean and say something before panic and fear settled in. Hopefully, this matter will be settled fairly in court.
Lothar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not singing the man's praises but I'm not condemning him either. From a strictly personal standpoint, I disagree heavily with the current state of the law when it comes to age of consent laws and statutory crimes. (Especially since they tend to punish men disproportionately to women who break the same laws.)

This kind of law must swell the dockets in Florida. Doesn't the state have anything else better to do than prosecute consensual sex with 16 and 17-year-olds? Most states set a legal age of consent at 16 for a reason, because at that end it becomes less about protecting children and more about enforcing some narrow constituency's version of sexual morality. Plus precious resources are better spent on other offenses, including actual child rape.

If this kind of law has to exist, can't it be a misdemeanor rather than a felony? It seems odd that what is perfectly legal just across the border in Georgia is a felony in Florida, to say the least.

That said, I know about as much as most everyone else here about the case. I will be following its progress.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
This kind of law must swell the dockets in Florida. Doesn't the state have anything else better to do than prosecute consensual sex with 16 and 17-year-olds?

Jeezz, in Spain consensual sex is 13.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
And I suppose we won't know the gender of the minor? One shouldn't assume that the minor is female until it is verified.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
And I suppose we won't know the gender of the minor? One shouldn't assume that the minor is female until it is verified.

I don't see why that's even relevant unless you are homophobic or something.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
Lothar wrote:
This kind of law must swell the dockets in Florida. Doesn't the state have anything else better to do than prosecute consensual sex with 16 and 17-year-olds?

Jeezz, in Spain consensual sex is 13.

You can also add South Korea and Japan (although it varies) to that list as well. I'm not sure why everyone in the US always freaks out about this kind of news. Elsewhere, no one would bat an eye at this. The minimum age of 18 is extremely rare for the rest of the world.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

It tends to be made more of an issue if the minor was male along with the adult. (see same sex statutory rape section)

Also, if the minor was female, we prob would have been told so and it wouldn't have been that big of a deal which is making me a little suspicious.

Either way the DA prob figures there's a case to be made if this info about Florida's procedure is valid.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

It tends to be made more of an issue if the minor was male along with the adult. (see same sex statutory rape section)

Also, if the minor was female, we prob would have been told so and it wouldn't have been that big of a deal which is making me a little suspicious.

Again who gives a crap?

Second point, the link you provided doesn't mention a Florida law like that and just mentions a Kansas law that was ruled unconstitutional.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Again who gives a crap?

Second point, the link you provided doesn't mention a Florida law like that and just mentions a Kansas law that was ruled unconstitutional.

Loads of people including the media which is why he had to step down. I couldn't find Florida's version of a same sex statutory rape law so I referred to that section instead and not the Kansas law in particular.

No need to get so sensitive about it. It's a fact of life in the US.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Again who gives a crap?

Loads of people including the media which is why he had to step down. I couldn't find Florida's version of a same sex statutory rape law so I referred to that section instead and not the Kansas law in particular.

No need to get so sensitive about it. It's a fact of life in the US.

You're speaking generally about people and the media when you're the one who have shown interest in this. I think that's more a statement about yourself than society.

If you can't find that part of the Florida statute, I'm assuming it doesn't exist. A lot of those kinds of laws also became defunct due to lower courts citing the precedence of the Supreme Court deeming laws against sodomy as unconstitutional.
watchdog210

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:26 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Why are people assuming he even knew the girl's age? Not that it would justify or invalidate any of the legal matters involved but it's entirely possible he thought the girl in question was of legal age.

Are people really supposed to look at IDs and run background checks before having sex? Confused

It all seems to be covered in Florida State Statute Chapter 794.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0794/ch0794.htm

Quote:
794.021 Ignorance or belief as to victim's age no defense.--When, in this chapter, the criminality of conduct depends upon the victim's being below a certain specified age, ignorance of the age is no defense. Neither shall misrepresentation of age by such person nor a bona fide belief that such person is over the specified age be a defense.
History.--s. 2, ch. 74-121.

And this I beleive this may also be relavent.

Quote:
794.022 Rules of evidence.--

(1) The testimony of the victim need not be corroborated in a prosecution under s. 794.011.

(2) Specific instances of prior consensual sexual activity between the victim and any person other than the offender shall not be admitted into evidence in a prosecution under s. 794.011. However, such evidence may be admitted if it is first established to the court in a proceeding in camera that such evidence may prove that the defendant was not the source of the semen, pregnancy, injury, or disease; or, when consent by the victim is at issue, such evidence may be admitted if it is first established to the court in a proceeding in camera that such evidence tends to establish a pattern of conduct or behavior on the part of the victim which is so similar to the conduct or behavior in the case that it is relevant to the issue of consent.

(3) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, reputation evidence relating to a victim's prior sexual conduct or evidence presented for the purpose of showing that manner of dress of the victim at the time of the offense incited the sexual battery shall not be admitted into evidence in a prosecution under s. 794.011.

(4) When consent of the victim is a defense to prosecution under s. 794.011, evidence of the victim's mental incapacity or defect is admissible to prove that the consent was not intelligent, knowing, or voluntary; and the court shall instruct the jury accordingly.

Bold is mine.
mokitty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
Not going to pass judgement or even speculate publicly on any part of this story, but I found this quote particularly interesting, because it reminds me too much of too many of the kids at my college:
Richard J. wrote:
Are people really supposed to look at IDs and run background checks before having sex? Confused

I've heard far too many people using "horomones" or "the heat of the moment" to justify getting into really terrible situations with people they only just met. Rolling Eyes You don't necessarily need to check IDs, but it would probably help to talk to a person long enough to get to know who they actually are before you start rubbing your junk against theirs.
ClocktowerKyon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not singing the man's praises but I'm not condemning him either. From a strictly personal standpoint, I disagree heavily with the current state of the law when it comes to age of consent laws and statutory crimes. (Especially since they tend to punish men disproportionately to women who break the same laws.)

This kind of law must swell the dockets in Florida. Doesn't the state have anything else better to do than prosecute consensual sex with 16 and 17-year-olds? Most states set a legal age of consent at 16 for a reason, because at that end it becomes less about protecting children and more about enforcing some narrow constituency's version of sexual morality. Plus precious resources are better spent on other offenses, including actual child rape.

If this kind of law has to exist, can't it be a misdemeanor rather than a felony? It seems odd that what is perfectly legal just across the border in Georgia is a felony in Florida, to say the least.

It's probably because it's one of the poorest states in the nation. Just look at how well the education is going (I should know since I live in this hell-hole).

Seriously, if they're at age of consent it shouldn't matter. They're supposed to be old enough to figure things out for themselves by this point. The fact that this came up FOUR YEARS AFTER is suspect. Isn't there a law somewhere that says that 'if something isn't reported after a certain amount of time, then the argument is moot'?
Kyon27

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
ClocktowerKyon wrote:
The fact that this came up FOUR YEARS AFTER is suspect. Isn't there a law somewhere that says that 'if something isn't reported after a certain amount of time, then the argument is moot'?

I don't know about Florida, but my state (and most others, I believe) has a statute of limitations of 5 years on this type of "crime"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4