• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Student protests in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
I watched Kids on the Slope while it was being simulcast on Crunchyroll, and while I didn't give it much thought at the time, trying to describe the show to a friend recently made me realize something: I know almost nothing about the protests that took place in Japan during the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. What little I know on the subject comes from Kids on the slope, and Haruki Murakami's novel 1Q84. I was wondering if anyone had any more information on the topic, as my google searches haven't found anything very promising. I plan on continuing my research on this subject, and if anyone is interested, I would be glad to share what I find (right now the only useful internet source I've found is this paper, which the author even claims to be a narrow and limited resource). More specifically to this forum, I was wondering if anybody knows about any anime that deals with these protests. Again, any help would be appreciated, and I plan on doing research myself, which I will gladly share with anyone interested.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
I think I remember the anime Hyouka mentioning it also, it had a little on the subject, but I don't really know of other sources.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
The novel Blood the Last Vampire: Night of the Beasts by Mamoru Oshii takes place during the protests. It gives a feel for what they were like and how they were organized. It gives the impression that Oshii was writing from personal experience. It was published by Dark Horse in 2005 and is probably still available. Of course you get a vampire plot as well.

I'm sure there is an article of Wikipedia if you can come up with the right key words.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
I don't think there's any anime which deals with it more than peripherally. There are three that I can think of which are relevant in at least minor ways:

Jin-Roh is set amidst '60s-era violent protests, but I believe that's technically an alternate-world setting and involves elements much more extreme and radical than the student protests.

The Twelve Kingdoms references this at one point, as one of the characters in the first arc (the school teacher who interacts with both Youko and Sakamoto) is a kaikyaku who was trying to escape from police during a student protest when he ended up in the Twelve Kingdoms.

SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers: The Next has characters living in the underground who are holdovers from the student protests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
You got me interested, wanderlustking.

It truly isn't a well covered movement. Like you, I didn't find much. Nothing in anime.

I found mentions of the student protests at Tokyo U. in 1968 (Which would be what Jun was involved in) that basically shut down the school for a time, but not much specifically about it. I found one account of many student protests of the 60's, but it was from an arch-communist newsletter and felt too much like propaganda fro me to want to share it.

In my Googling I came across the group name Zengakuren, that wiki link doesn't say much about it but a little more googling seems to suggest that more can be learned. Such as this. (<-- haven't read the pdf- can't comment on its worth)

And here's a recent well written blog giving an account of the issues of student protests.
http://sayaprayerfortheoctopus.blogspot.com/2012/07/we-became-disillusioned-with-student.html
which largely deals with a trio of Japanese films, two from the early 60's, and one more recent about a much more radical group in the 70's
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Interesting stuff. I'm afraid I can't come up with any anime that does this, but I seem to remember one or two live action films of the period that did, at least, in an indirect way. If I remember what any of them were, I'll mention it.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys! I'm going through the links provided by Spastic Minnow at the moment, but I also want to look into Blood: The Last Vampire, and also share this gold mine. The relevant stuff is about half way down under the header "Historical Had.;ground and Time Parameters of the Japanese Case." I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it looks promising; the only thing is, the information is within the context of a very academic paper on conflict resolution, so it's quite stuffy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The terrorist in Black Lagoon who captures Rock when they try to get into the U.S. base is a former student agitator that couldn't let it go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1