• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - I'm Sorry I Wasn't Here Last Week Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
I would really like for Gokinjo Monogatari to be released over here. It would complete the 'trilogy' of romantic '90s dramas made by Toei. I realize Boys Over Flowers and Marmalade Boy didn't do all that well here, but they're great. I'd love it if someone would release Gokinjo Monogatari as well.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of harems, I've pretty much avoided all of the major harem anime from early this decade (i.e.: Love Hina, Aoi Yori Aoshi), mainly because I've been watching moé slice-of-life comedies. I think Ah My Goddess is the only true harem show I've bought, and even then, it's really only Peorth in the second season that makes it a harem, unless you count minor human characters that also have the hots for Keiichi like Sora and Sayoko. Also, Strawberry Marshmallow to a certain degree, if you assume that Nobue is meant to be the audience proxy character because she's rather, ahem, "twisted".

However, my favourite show this summer, Sora no Manimani, actually is borderline harem, since three of the female characters seem to be "interested" in Saku. But the harem, at least so far, is just one amongst many aspects of the show. I'm not watching it because it's harem, I'm watching it because it's an enjoyable school comedy about an astronomy club that does delve a little bit into the actual stargazing part. The romantic tensions do come to a bit of a head in the 6th and 7th episodes, but it's still fairly low key. Even though it's a seinen manga, the mangaka, Mami Kashiwabara, is a woman, and the subtle romantic moments never come across as exploitative or titillating, with a focus on feelings rather than physical affection. It could almost pass as shoujo instead of seinen, if you didn't know the anime was aired in otaku-oriented late night slots (though AT-X also gives it a morning airing on Tuesdays and an afternoon airing on Fridays).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
giascle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
South Park and whatever craziness Kaeruotoko Shokai comes up with can be produced for a measly few thousand dollars or so

I'd think South Park would be somewhat expensive. It's all made in Maya, not paper cut-outs as is generally believed.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
Quote:
South Park and whatever craziness Kaeruotoko Shokai comes up with can be produced for a measly few thousand dollars or so

I'd think South Park would be somewhat expensive. It's all made in Maya, not paper cut-outs as is generally believed.

ISTR that the paper cut-outs would take too long to do, which clashes with South Park doing topical humor.
wilsonwilson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:48 am Reply with quote
while I'm not livid about them not being imported there are some older shows I really wish would get a North American release:

Turn A Gundam
psychic academy (which was supposed to be released but I can't find it)
Hime-chan's Ribbon
Touch
Ask Dr. Rin! (although it ran in '01)
and the rest of Saint Seiya.
TomasHA-SK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
Key The Metal Idol is MASTERPIECE Very Happy

Superb characters and story. Best anime series I have ever seen, but its sad that it is Out Of Print.
Kingakuzutto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
labantnet wrote:
Hands Down, Saint Seiya. Only half of the series was dubbed and the only subs avalable are HK. If this was avalable in English, Subbed or dubbed I would totaly buy it the day it comes out.

That's true! And now no one wants to pick up the liscence for the show after ADV films died. I guess it's because nobody likes old anime anymore. But if somebody could just go out and finish Saint Seiya, I'd be a very happy person.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
wilsonwilson wrote:
while I'm not livid about them not being imported there are some older shows I really wish would get a North American release:

Turn A Gundam
psychic academy (which was supposed to be released but I can't find it)
Hime-chan's Ribbon
Touch
Ask Dr. Rin! (although it ran in '01)
and the rest of Saint Seiya.

You really need to put a little background in to it, or at least give us some kind of idea why you'd like these released. Just listing is against the rules as it just doesn't yield any discussion potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5