• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Saki Episodes 1-25 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
Was I right to quit, or did I by chance leave the show too early?

It's your time, but if the tournament section didn't engage or impress you, then you might be better off waiting for a season 2 and then taking another shot at it. The drama should increase in season 2, if that matters, assuming it ever happens.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised to find the legal streaming site had the UK licence, and enjoyed watching the series; though it looks like there's going to be quite a wait for a second season judging by where the manga is. Still, one can hope! I went in not knowing anything about mahjong, but decided to take the time to learn Japanese mahjong after a while, which has been quite interesting. Basically it's played like rummy, then scored like poker... I enjoyed the touches of random epic fantasy, as it were, too.
Miranox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
The nopan thing most likely originated in 2ch and then Sankaku spent a good amount of time fanning the flames of that one, so it stuck. Same with the yuri relationships. Anyways, Saki is typical moe fare. If you like moe, then it stands to reason you'll like Saki. If you don't like moe, then don't watch it. Very simple.

Actually, I would encourage everyone, even those that don't like moe, to watch Saki. I disliked the characters designs and the yuri was unnecessary but I enjoyed the series anyway for the same reasons mentioned in the review.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
Megiddo quotes:
Quote:
Given this is a Gonzo work, I was pleasantly surprised with Saki. Granted, it is nothing more than "Moejong" (as I like to call it), but it fulfills that role well.

I agree about that "Moejong". Even if moe is an acquired taste for me, I like it better with the ecchi material but sans the yuri/shoujo-ai stuff. I wouldn't mind doing Mahjong after seeing this series, however, all those terms and moves makes it look really complicated for me to learn.
[/quote]
nechronius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa...did some of you people watch the same Saki that I did? I certainly never assumed the girls weren't wearing panties at all. Again, I don't really care if people have the wrong impression of this show, other than I feel bad for my fellow pervs who may rush to it, expecting some sugary ecchi goodness only to be severely disappointed.

For my part I never assumed that they were NOT wearing panties either. That would be a pretty ridiculous assumption by anybody, I would think, although there are some pretty ridiculous people out there...

I was just very amused that they got so close to the line of SHOWING but never DID. I mean in a few scenes they drew the characters where you can clearly make out the curve of their behinds, but it didn't show their underwear. Occasionally that drew out a guffaw from me but also some rolling of the eyes. Overall I still enjoyed it for the outlandish mahjong playing even if I still have no clue how it's played.

I did check out some of the manga though, and surprisingly the anime was consistent in the fan service department.
TheBigN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
I was just very amused that they got so close to the line of SHOWING but never DID. I mean in a few scenes they drew the characters where you can clearly make out the curve of their behinds, but it didn't show their underwear. Occasionally that drew out a guffaw from me but also some rolling of the eyes.

That was more of an requirement more than anything else because the channel that Saki was shown on in Japan did not want any panties or things explicitly sexual shown period, as far as I know.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I wouldn't mind doing Mahjong after seeing this series, however, all those terms and moves makes it look really complicated for me to learn.

I play mahjong sometimes, and every time I see a mahjong anime, I feel like I play a castrated version. I have never in my life used any of those "moves", and the basic rules of mahjong are really simple, so it's only as hard and complicated as you want it to be.
It's an easy-to-learn, rather luck-based game, which has the drawback of requiring four players. But it's a lot of fun, really.

PS: So, how do you actually write the name? Mahjongg? Mahjong? mahjong? Craziness ^^
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
From the review:
Quote:
an ending where the middle should be, a middle where the ending should be

I watched all of this because I started watching Saki Episode of Side A first (in other words, recently). Is there a reason a sequel season for this time-line was ruled out? Aside from the nationals tournament, they left a lot of the relationships unresolved obviously for another season. Most notably Saki and her sister.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
From the review:
Quote:
an ending where the middle should be, a middle where the ending should be

I watched all of this because I started watching Saki Episode of Side A first (in other words, recently). Is there a reason a sequel season for this time-line was ruled out? Aside from the nationals tournament, they left a lot of the relationships unresolved obviously for another season. Most notably Saki and her sister.

Because the main manga isn't far enough along yet.

Achiga-hen is actually further ahead than the main manga, which is only just now wrapping up Kiyosumi's Quarter-Final round over in Side-B, while Achiga is currently in the Semi-Final round of Side-A.

Edit: I'm not sure why you used the term "time-line", Saki and Saki: Achiga-hen are just two sides of the same story. In fact, if you are interested in Saki's sister...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
As has been said, the Saki manga is still going with the national tournament, and since it's a monthly/bimonthly serialization it still has a good 2 or 3 years before the nationals are concluded (if the manga author continues at her current pace). So I wouldn't expect a Saki 2 for another 2 years at least, unless the manga author goes ahead and tells Studio Gokumi how it will end and such.

Achiga-hen was made so that the other side of the nationals bracket could be shown in a quick manner, and more importantly to hype up the final battle between Kiyosumi and Shiraitodai by showing Shiraitodai dominate their competition.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Edit: I'm not sure why you used the term "time-line",

Thanks for the answer .. I only used the word "time-line" because the two stories overlap. With so many characters and venues it is hard to make out whether they are consistent with each other or actually separate stories. But I think you cleared that up for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3