• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Unicorn to Have English Dub, 5-Language Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I'm curious as to what studio is dubbing it in English. Are they doing an English dub in Japan? Or is it being done in an English-speaking country?

If it becomes an Ocean production, I hope they do a better job with it than they've been doing recently with Gundam dubs. Gundam 00's was awful.

Are we even watching the same show? Gundam 00 had a GREAT dub!

The smart money says Ocean'll dub it.

Which part did you like the best? The females all sounding alike or the terrible wooden voice acting? Or maybe Brad Swaile completely phoning it in as Setsuna?

It was almost Blue Water bad.

Let's hope they prod those actors to get some enthusiasm in their performances. I know they can do better than how they've been doing lately. Especially Swaile and Scott McNeil. I was very disappointed in them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm curious as to what studio is dubbing it in English. Are they doing an English dub in Japan? Or is it being done in an English-speaking country?

If it becomes an Ocean production, I hope they do a better job with it than they've been doing recently with Gundam dubs. Gundam 00's was awful.

Calm down we already know how much you hated the dub penguin Rolling Eyes
Anyway I have a good feeling that they won't use Ocean Studios this time because it's an OVA and the dubbing for 08th Team and 0080 were done in LA if I recall.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
What I find strange is why they would even bother to leave out all those multi-language subtitles from the DVD release and seemingly make them Blu-ray exclusive, but I suppose that's how marketing works these days.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they certainly are pulling out all of the stops on Unicorn, which is a very welcome sign and befitting of their anniversary project. The advent of Blu-ray makes the whole simultaneous overseas release move much easier given that Japan and the U.S. are in the same region (the date's much sooner than expected, too). But at only 50 mins per disc, hopefully they will put enough extras on it to sweeten the deal.

Now I just only hope that it's not one of those cheapy English dubs or just them using the Japanese VAs for it (it's happened one or two times before). However, it is probably a given that Bandai Ent. will be distributing it and producing the dub. As what ChocoBar said, LA studios tend to get the OVAs and movies, so probably either Animaze/ZRO Limit or Bang Zoom! will be (or are already in the process of) doing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Seems like they're trying to force us Gundam otaku to convert to Blu-ray. I'm not sure what to make of this, except... looks like I'll be getting a Blu-ray system soon.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Which part did you like the best? The females all sounding alike or the terrible wooden voice acting? Or maybe Brad Swaile completely phoning it in as Setsuna?

Let's hope they prod those actors to get some enthusiasm in their performances. I know they can do better than how they've been doing lately. Especially Swaile and Scott McNeil. I was very disappointed in them.

oh come 00 female dub was ok especially they have same female that voice lacus as fedlt.

besides i would liike to have chantal strand's (lacus dub) voice in unicorn dub.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What's the deal with this? Simultaneously releasing is fine and dandy, but not if it's one episode at a time for an insane premium. Let the Japanese otaku deal with that. Even assuming that it is a low price for Americans, even at a deal of say $15 per disc, $90 seems a little steep for 6 DVDs (12 episode's worth) and BluRay is obviously going to be more.

I think the dvds are actually just going to be Japan only for the time being considering the different dvd regions, unlike Blu-ray where they are the same, and not having the English dub. I'm assuming they are going to release these the same way the Freedom BD and dvds were released here. Simultaneous releases on BD only through Honneamise and then Bandai Ent. will release it in R1 on dvd with the dub later on.

So then it is is likely to be an extremely expensive release, which doesn't fly here.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
ya i wounder if syfy will play it
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

The ladies did NOT sound alike, and Brad "Setsuna/Light/Rock" Swaile did NOT phone anything in, holmes! What the hell are you basing it on? Or do you need your ears examined?

Would you rather have Odex dub it?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Unlikely. Playing 00 works because it requires no previous knowledge of Gundam. Unicorn will likely require you to have seen quite a bit, not to mention it will probably be an expensive license as well, and Sci-Fi won't be able to play a 50 minute episode without cutting out 20 minutes of content for commercials.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

Unlikely. Playing 00 works because it requires no previous knowledge of Gundam. Unicorn will likely require you to have seen quite a bit, not to mention it will probably be an expensive license as well, and Sci-Fi won't be able to play a 50 minute episode without cutting out 20 minutes of content for commercials.

50mins is almost an hour & besides it ova mini hour series by syfy have 2hrs of anime on ani-monday.

singapore dub i don't know if anyone watch other yu-gi-oh! totAL imcomplete but kamen rider kabuto dub is ok.

but gundam dubs are dnoe by canada besides i would watch unicorn IF they have CHANTAL STRAND in it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
The ladies did NOT sound alike, and Brad "Setsuna/Light/Rock" Swaile did NOT phone anything in, holmes! What the hell are you basing it on? Or do you need your ears examined?

They absolutely sounded the same, save for a few roles.

And yes, Brad Swaile phoned it in completely, which is a shame, because he's usually very good. It sounded like he was half asleep in the role. I guess after playing Light Yagami so well, he felt he could just coast through this role, not bothering to try.

Mamoru Miyano, on the other hand, was nearly as intense as Setsuna as he was as Light.

Anyway, Swaile should have been Ribbons, not Setsuna. They should have gone with the Amuro joke, not the Light one. Ted Cole would have been a good Setsuna.

I'd rather have Ocean dub it well. They used to dub Gundam well, but ever since SEED, they've been doing a terrible job. Not that SEED having a good dub would have saved it from being garbage, mind you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
I wish Gundam would take a break so I could catch up on all the dvds! Wink
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
I wish Gundam would take a break so I could catch up on all the dvds! Wink

And that's only if you're watching the legitimate stuff, you still have 4 seasons on stuff you can't get on DVD.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

They absolutely sounded the same, save for a few roles.

And yes, Brad Swaile phoned it in completely, which is a shame, because he's usually very good. It sounded like he was half asleep in the role. I guess after playing Light Yagami so well, he felt he could just coast through this role, not bothering to try.

Mamoru Miyano, on the other hand, was nearly as intense as Setsuna as he was as Light.

Anyway, Swaile should have been Ribbons, not Setsuna. They should have gone with the Amuro joke, not the Light one. Ted Cole would have been a good Setsuna.

I'd rather have Ocean dub it well. They used to dub Gundam well, but ever since SEED, they've been doing a terrible job. Not that SEED having a good dub would have saved it from being garbage, mind you.

Uh, no, they didn't sound the same, and Swaile did NOT phone it in! Also, comparing him to Mamoru Miyano is unfair, since they SPEAK TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT LANGUAGES.

Gundam 00 had a stellar dub. PROVE ME WRONG!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4