• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - FUNi People

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:

Please don't bring the economy into question please, anime acquisition has never been a factor of the economy and never will be nor has sales been effected. People just didn't like Big Windup or did didn't appeal to the masses FUNI believe

That's quite the assertion. You seriously think the worst economic environment in decades has no effect on anime sales? At all? Unemployed people tend to cut back on non-essential expenses just a wee bit, you know.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
You are missing a very fun series for no good reason. Trust me.

I will take your word for it. If I want to see spoiler[a single event that should occur over at least 1 to 2 episodes get done over 7 or more episodes ] I will watch DragonBall Z instead. I may check it out in the future, but it will most likely be rent only.

Bad comparison to make. Dragon Ball Z took forever because Toei purposefully stretched it out so that they wouldn't catch up the manga. That was mostly filler, and Dragon Ball Kai is giving us a more accurate adaptation as to how fast the fights in DBZ really are.

On the other hand, shows like Big Windup! and even One Outs (an anime which mixes together baseball, gambling, and psychological warfare) take so long to finish their games because those games are their own stories in and of themselves. Those animes don't treat the games like they are shonen-style fights; they stretch the games out because each game has its own story to tell and is about much more than just who wins. Like the old saying goes, "It's not the destination, but the journey," which shows like Big Windup! and One Outs follow.

Now, if you want a sports anime that does its matches as shonen-style fights, then there is stuff like Ring ni Kakero 1. It's personally one of my favorites and is definitely a shonen-stylized fighting anime that just uses boxing as the medium of the fights. In that show, each fight is finished in 1-2 episodes, 2.5-3 episodes at most, but that's because the focus is on the fights and how each arrives at its conclusion.

Just wanted to explain that better.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:

Please don't bring the economy into question please, anime acquisition has never been a factor of the economy and never will be nor has sales been effected. People just didn't like Big Windup or did didn't appeal to the masses FUNI believe

That's quite the assertion. You seriously think the worst economic environment in decades has no effect on anime sales? At all? Unemployed people tend to cut back on non-essential expenses just a wee bit, you know.

Anime/manga sales has never effected the economy in anyway before it collapsed and never will, if you truly believe that people are willing to shell out any huge amount of money for a Dragonball Z boxset you are truly deluded (considering the same titles has been listed in the same ranking for years). Really, people who use the economy as an excuse to why their favorite title isn't selling are really ridiculous
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:

Anime/manga sales has never effected the economy in anyway before it collapsed and never will, if you truly believe that people are willing to shell out any huge amount of money for a Dragonball Z boxset you are truly deluded (considering the same titles has been listed in the same ranking for years). Really, people who use the economy as an excuse to why their favorite title isn't selling are really ridiculous

You're changing your argument entirely. You said "nor has sales been effected". Now you're claiming anime sales don't have much of an effect on the economy, which is obvious, and nobody stated as much. If that was what you meant, you managed to state the opposite.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
GINTAMA! I love how it parodies everything and can turn on a dime and produce a serious arc once in a while.
But by no means must one watch it sequentially to enjoy it. As I posted in Rob's toy column: go to the episode list page at wiki and choose eps or arcs based on what you want to see parodied or what you feel gels with your own sense of humor. There's a lot of satire, sarcasm, meta, bathroom humor, etc. In various episodes, so pick and choose and enjoy! That's what I do, despite the fact that I consider myself a "real fan" and I read the manga, love the characters, the serious arcs, and the character development. But I don't watch *everything*. Who has the time?
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Mario, nobody called you any names at all.

I made an off-handed comment that "your favorite thing to do was to bitch about no dubs". Which you do, all the time on these forums, and we've had to ban you a couple of times for doing it too much. The comment was intended to be lighthearted, but it is very much true. You were not "attacked".

Not only that but you have sent in several questions to the podcast before and they have generally all been answered.

He might have a problem with distinguishing between the verb and noun form of "bitch."
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I love baseball anime, but Big Windup! is just simply not my thing. I stopped watching after 4 episodes.

Had they licensed Touch, Major, or Cross Game I'd buy the singles if needed.

The sports/baseball niche audience is small enough, so I'm not sure why they went after a female-targetted baseball anime. There can't be that many in that audience.

Still though, even if it were one of the three mentioned above, it'd flop. If Hajime no Ippo flops here than anything sports will most likely never sell much here.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
That's it! I'm joining Twitter so I can find out who's going to be on the show. As soon as saw "Funi People" a dozen questions popped into my head. So disappointed.

I recently got a blu-ray player and I don't know what to do with BDs of shows not done in HD. I don't know if I should just get the regular DVDs and let the upscaling begin or just go ahead get the BD version since Amazon is selling them dirt cheap. People just can't seem to agree on this thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

He might have a problem with distinguishing between the verb and noun form of "bitch."

Reading comprehension and any sort of comprehension at all seems to be beyond him. I think it's been explained to him at least a dozen times why those mean/evil/stupid anime companies release sub only releases, but he invariably springs up after every announcement, much like mushrooms after the rain.
AJtheFourth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Meggido wrote:
I love baseball anime, but Big Windup! is just simply not my thing. I stopped watching after 4 episodes.

Had they licensed Touch, Major, or Cross Game I'd buy the singles if needed.

The sports/baseball niche audience is small enough, so I'm not sure why they went after a female-targetted baseball anime. There can't be that many in that audience.

Awww...I'm female (and not a fujoshi) and I loved Big Windup! I think it has good character interaction, and although the second game was dragged out a bit, you become immersed in the story so much that you don't even notice the time passing by.

I'd buy the singles too! Above all, Touch would be absolutely phenomenal to own. Of course it will never get licensed, as Justin himself said in his 'Buried Garbage' column, but it's one of my favorite series of all time.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Mario, nobody called you any names at all.

I made an off-handed comment that "your favorite thing to do was to bitch about no dubs". Which you do, all the time on these forums, and we've had to ban you a couple of times for doing it too much. The comment was intended to be lighthearted, but it is very much true. You were not "attacked".

Not only that but you have sent in several questions to the podcast before and they have generally all been answered.

Dude I have NEVER sent a question into the podcast until now. I know this for fact because I never use twitter the only time I am on there is to talk with SXAnimedia.

[comment edited]

@NJ_@
One Piece>>>>>>>Naruto>Bleach.
And Yeah all 3 Movies because if the third is left out people will complain. The Godfather with the Anime Studio Madhouse would be really epic and Spike TV will play it and Hype it up because those movies come on there like every other day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
Please don't bring the economy into question please, anime acquisition has never been a factor of the economy and never will be nor has sales been effected.

A couple of things...

1) The economy does directly contribute to production issues in Japan. I know that at least one show planned for the Spring season was already well into production, but got pulled because the sponsor couldn't afford to support the show.

2) While previous recessions really haven't affected anime, or entertainment in general, this one is very very different. While DVD was already in decline, the economy has triggered a trend away from buying/collecting "stuff" (there was just an article about this in the NY Times). What might have been a slight-to-moderate decline in DVD sales before has, due to the recession has turned into a cratering. It's had a profound effect on Hollywood (despite record theatrical box office), caused the near-complete collapse of the indie and foreign markets, and it's absolutely affected anime.

3) Anime purchases come out of people's disposable income. When there's less (or none) of that, there's less anime being bought. Common sense stuff, that.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Dude I have NEVER sent a question into the podcast until now. I know this for fact because I never use twitter the only time I am on there is to talk with SXAnimedia.

Huh. I could swear I'd seen at least one or two from you before. Oh well.

As for the rest of your insulting angry nonsense, kinda sick of it, so out you go!
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna have to disagree with Zac on the Cromartie High School dub. I love the show for all the same reasons he did, but the dub did a damn good job of translating the humor. The cast (and director and editor, I guess) had a really good sense of comedic timing and they fit their parts well. No one was overplayed and the script managed to keep the spirit of the show even with the adaptations made to it.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In Defense of Strike Witches, It was #5 on Amazon.com and now its #10 it comes out in 2 months and its beating out alot of things.
What have we become :(
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13