• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is just... terrible. Terrible. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

terrible as in you hated the original FMA dub or terrible as in you actually have a valid reason for thinking so?

sorry for how it sounds not like I've actually heard it yet lol.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Hmm, well, I'll leave aside my whining about the episode itself, like the sheer WINK WINKness of it and such, except for how rushed it feels, because it truly affects some vocal performances, particularly Kimblee and Hughes. Oh God, Hughes and Armstrong sound...bizarre. It's like they're clearly just reading lines in a rush. That dialogue really isn't helping. And I loved all these parts in the first series. ICK

Ed, Mustang and Bradly sound fine. Not pitch-perfect maybe, but again, I blame the writing. I'm...actually impressed by Whitehead's Alphonse. Yeah, you can tell it's a woman if you listen, but she sounds close to the original while still being authentically young, soft-spoken yet strong when it counts. Now I really wanna hear her Chrona.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

terrible as in you hated the original FMA dub or terrible as in you actually have a valid reason for thinking so?

sorry for how it sounds not like I've actually heard it yet lol.

I actually like the first dub better than this one.

I mean, this is based on just this episode, though, but even the voices I liked in the first dub are failing here. I'll be more thorough later.

ISAAC THE FREEZER.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
I was never a big fan of FMA's dub. I never liked Ed's dub.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Forgot how beautiful the art was in this first episode. That's Bones for ya. Unfortunately, it's going to go downhill for awhile. Irie's gotten better with action scenes since Kurau, but his style is still a bit distant; feels like you're just watching things happen.

Huh, Riza's new, too. Can't comment on her yet, she had all of one line. Crying or Very sad I think the writing brought out this episode's significant weak spots. Maybe they'll grow back into their roles in time. I was impressed by Alphonse's newcomer, so I got something out of it at least. Not too bad.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
If you are at home and you have access to this channel but forget/choose to not watch it, you're part of the problem.

Question Does that really matter? Can they actually tell if you are watching it (or do they just poll selected viewers)?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:
Huh, Riza's new, too. Can't comment on her yet, she had all of one line. Crying or Very sad I think the writing brought out this episode's significant weak spots. Maybe they'll grow back into their roles in time. I was impressed by Alphonse's newcomer, so I got something out of it at least. Not too bad.

Riza's still Colleen Clinkenbeard, thank goodness since she was great in the first series, she sounded the same (and she's in the credits and official cast list as her in the Funi news reports) too just it was only like one line so no need to cry.

Yeah, I still feel the same way about this episode as I did before, it's just a semi-cool fun time with each of the characters, I liked getting a taste of each the VA's back in their roles though which was probably the point for the Japanese audience too. I thought Alphonse's new voice was pretty good and I eased into it nicely as the episode went. I think she's going to do a great job as we get to the bigger stuff like Dismuke did.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
Okay, so I thought a little more about it:

- Vic's Ed is exactly the way it was before. Take this how you will. I'm guessing that's good for a lot of you. I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't disappointed, either. It was about what I thought it would be.

- The new Alphonse would be great if I could hear her better. They have her turned way down low, like they're afraid of people knowing it's a new VA.

- Travis Willingham's Roy sounds weirdly unlike him. Same with Sonny Strait's Hughes. Did they practice before they recorded them for this episode? I mean, it hasn't been that long since I heard them in the first dub, I was watching it the other day. What happened?

- Chris Sabat's Armstrong is still excellent. It's the role he was born to play.

- Isaac's voice was just awful. I honestly think even I could have done better in that role, and I've never voice acted once. And I hate that they called him "Isaac the Freezer". He's not Barry the Chopper. Stick to Ice/Freezing Alchemist.

- Elicia Hughes' voice was painful to listen to.

- Bradley's voice was the same. Still not great. It lacks that booming quality of the Japanese VA. But if you liked it in the first dub, you'll still like it here.

- I can't really tell much from Riza.

- Kimbley's VA sounds out of practice. There's another that was pretty good in the first dub, but wasn't here.

It sounded a little bit like they recorded this episode once, and that was it. No second takes.

I still like all the action going on in the episode, even though it was pure fanservice.

I wish they didn't have to speed up the OP and ED and forgo the next episode preview.

But, it's the first episode. I should give it a bit more time.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
Well, this is horribly cheap, but I already wrote a ton-bucket, so:

READ THEES! Laughing

Or don't read it, heh, but those are my thoughts on what I dun sat through. I'll probably be a regular on this thread, I kinda...fell out of the original viewing because it's...Brotherhood. I'm already breathing easier with the dub. I guess one thing I'll add is that I did feel this first episode was shakier for everyone but Vic, Sabat, Massey and Maxey, but that may be because they were either rushed or, well adultswim likes to slightly speed some of the stuff they air for time purposes. The stuff you learn from comparing VHS taped junk to official DVD junk...that and I heard at least one line that sounded rather sped-up, and if it wasn't, it was just way too fast in flap to begin with! Shocked That and they go back and change dubs after a broadcast sometimes before they put out the DVD...polish 'em. In the first FMA, several of Barry the Chopper's lines were actually redone after the adultswim broadcast because they were awkward and a little inaccurate, for instance. I know there were some other changes too.

A little shakier, maybe, but a good dub. I'll be watching...even if it is...BROTHERHOOD. Bleugh. It better get better later, that's all I'm saying...
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote
I love how upon learning about their bodies, every villian goes all bug-eyed and LOLWOT HOLY SH I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID THAT U FUGGD UP BRO DAYUM SO STOOPID. Anime hyper I know it's taboo, but they're always so insane about it in ther brief moment of DERP MY EVUL MOTIVATION ISH VALIDATED. Every. Single. Time.

And as long as AS were cutting footage, at least they went ahead and got rid of those obnoxious FUGGGYEAH FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST eyecatches while they were at it. We get it, guys, fanservice, but really?
happymoose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
happymoose wrote:
Hurry up and release the DVDs Very Happy

DVDs will be out on May 25th

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part 1 (DVD) - $49.98 [MSRP]

Might be as cheap as $39 bucks

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part 1 (Blu-Ray) - $54.98 [MSRP]

Might be as cheap as $44 bucks

As mention before in other posts, I'm currently watching all the episodes up to 43. I did watched the "Dub version" this morning and I thought they did a good job. Once the voice actors start getting a hang of their voices again through the length of the episodes it'll be good. Who knows, they might redo the voices before the coming months of the DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Also, I had a feeling that Adult Swim was going to cut the opening and ending songs short, so that's nothing new about them on that issue. The late-night program have to cut them short for their commercials which is understandable, just get them when the DVDs come out which I will actually go for the Blu-Ray release. Very Happy (time to save up for a Blu-Ray Player!)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
I think I would have preferred them skip the OP and ED altogether rather than speed them up.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to buy the Blu-Rays, regardless of my feelings on the dub. I mean, I do like the show.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, I overreacted when I said way back when that this episode was on-par with the movie when it came to the visuals. There's nothing here that even comes to close to the Gluttony fight that Yutaka Nakamura worked on, or even the Envy fight in ep. 50 of the original series that he also had a hand in.

I actually thought that Isaac was the highlight of the night. The JP dude played him as the typical "evil and menacing dude is evil and menacing" character, so I thought Maseey was a considerable improvement. I also liked Al's new VA. It seems like it's just like a slightly higher-pitched and more shy version of Dismuke's take on the character- except that now I'm not constantly reminded that it's a kid playing a kid.

Speaking of slightly higher-pitched, I thought Armstrong wasn't as deep as in the first series. It was very slight, but I think it was there.

I find it strange that I was laughing at the jokes here, whereas I was pretty tired of them when I watched ep. 37 a few days ago. The best joke was the training one from Elicia.

Them cutting down the OP and ED isn't a big thing for me, since it'll be on the DVD/Blu-ray release. All I care for in regards to that is that they translate all the key animators, animation directors, etc. for each particular episode and don't cut corners by using generic credits.

And this is as good as it gets for the first 13 episodes. Starting with episode 14 the series starts to improve bit by bit, so I consider it worth the wait.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 28