• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Story of Saiunkoku Manga Listed by Viz's Distributor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
So how many volumes before VIZ cancels this series? I doubt it'll last long. My bet is at the outside 3 but I wouldn't be shocked if they dropped it after just one.

The pointlessly censored the Shana novels release, automatically discouraging buyers and now another series gets picked to die. Sigh. Anime cry
blueimpulse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Pelianth wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Shocked

Oh my God, please let this be the light novel!

It may be worth noting that Amazon.co.jp lists the first volume of the manga as being 110 pages. Rather significantly less than the 176-pages S&S is listing.

I own the first 4 volumes of the Saiunkoku manga in Japanese... and I must respectfully disagree with Amazon.co.jp's record of vol. 1's page count.

Here's the table of contents for vol. 1 - the afterword (あとがき) is at Page 170, which is the second-last page of the manga (with only the publisher information page after it):
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0qmAodC9TOY/S4SNGzWHXtI/AAAAAAAABp8/91EvIxV4ORQ/s1600-h/saiunkoku_manga_vol1_toc.png

Having said that... I won't be surprised if an English novel translation will end up being 176 pages compared to 223 pages for the Japanese original. Let's take Usurper of the Sun (also licensed by Viz) for example. I have both the Japanese and English version of this book, and the Japanese version is about 324 pages compared to 276 pages for the English version.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I really hope this is the light novel, rather than the manga, but I'd take the manga too. I love this series.

The only problem is that if this is the light novel, what are the chances we're going to get the whole series? Even if someone licenses S2 of the anime, that doesn't come close to finishing the story. Confused
Sora N

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I really hope it’s the manga however if it’s the light novel I will be happy too! I loved the first anime season and maybe if this sells well some anime company will pick-up the second season…
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Sorry guys, but Nancy Thistlethwaite (a Viz editor, and I'm guessing the editor for this series) said on Twitter it's definitely the manga version. I would have liked the novels too, but the manga is sure nice too. :]
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Aww, bummer.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
The novels would a hard sell in my opinion. Even though they are really good (I've read most of them in Chinese) the numerous characters, names, and terms that are used can get confusing very quickly. The manga is a surer bet in my opinion because 1) it's pretty (the artist is the same person who does all the novel illustrations) and 2) it's easier to get engaged with a story when you can follow it visually.

If the manga sell well then it's possible that Viz could bring out the novels too. Very Happy
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
THERE IS A GOD. Cool

AND SHE LOVES PRETTY BOYS AND SUBTEXT! Wink

AND STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS! AND POLITICAL MACHINATIONS!

So God loves slash and feminism? Let's not tell Pat Robertson...

Shame that this is the manga and not the novels. Does anyone know how they stack up in comparison?
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
kel aka gandy wrote:
Sorry guys, but Nancy Thistlethwaite (a Viz editor, and I'm guessing the editor for this series) said on Twitter it's definitely the manga version. I would have liked the novels too, but the manga is sure nice too. :]

Shame, but, I'll take the manga. Looks like there are only 4 volumes out, though. Not very much for something that's been running since 2005!
zalas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
So how many volumes before VIZ cancels this series? I doubt it'll last long. My bet is at the outside 3 but I wouldn't be shocked if they dropped it after just one.

The pointlessly censored the Shana novels release, automatically discouraging buyers and now another series gets picked to die. Sigh. Anime cry

I have a feeling Shana didn't do so hot in terms of sales for Viz, but I hadn't heard about this censorship issue. All I recall was that the translation for the novels were pretty shoddy and watered-down, but I don't remember any specific claims of censorship.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Since it looks as though it's the manga, it's more likely we'll see more/all of it released. Guys don't like to admit it here, but the female manga audience is a pretty desirable demographic to booksellers. This title will sell to the Fushigi Yugi, Haruka, etc. crowd
I know every year when TP releases another 12 Kingdoms I fear there will not be another.

Richard J. wrote:

Viz is notoriously weak in this department. Yami no Matsuei, FMA, they do not seem to want any controversy whatsoever
However, I don't really see any reason for Saiunkoku to be edited.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Viz is notoriously weak in this department. Yami no Matsuei, FMA, they do not seem to want any controversy whatsoever

My curiosity is aroused. How did they censor Descendants of Darkness?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
FMA was they turned the cross Greed was on into a rock slab so as not to offend Christians

DoD-they toned down Hisoaka's rape scene.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
zalas wrote:
I have a feeling Shana didn't do so hot in terms of sales for Viz, but I hadn't heard about this censorship issue.
They cropped one of the images in the novel and I think they may have cut one out entirely but I'm not sure about that. Since word of this came out very shortly after the novel's release, I'm sure it affected sales somewhat.

Also, I think light novels have had a great deal of trouble finding their audience in general and before Yen Press got into it, I don't think any of the companies were really doing a good job of marketing them. (That's just my personal opinion though.)

CCSYueh wrote:
Since it looks as though it's the manga, it's more likely we'll see more/all of it released. Guys don't like to admit it here, but the female manga audience is a pretty desirable demographic to booksellers. This title will sell to the Fushigi Yugi, Haruka, etc. crowd
A very desirable demographic primarily because so few companies bothered to even try to get it in the past. Manga aimed at the female audience found an eager consumer base, neglected almost completely by everyone but cheesy romance novel writers. I fully admit the strength and desirability of that demographic, though I fear you might be over estimating it just a bit. The big sellers still tend to be mainstream shonen titles. (Largely because both men and women can read and enjoy them.)

Since this is the manga release, it certainly has a better chance of sticking around. (Although don't discount VIZ's ability to screw up.)

CCSYueh wrote:
They probably won't but then again, don't discount their ability to screw up. They've made some truly odd calls when it comes to censorship.

Heck the Shana novel example is just nuts. Shana in panties in the novel is bad but naked Shana in the manga is okay? Neutral

Considering how unlikely it is we'll ever get more of the anime, I'll look into the manga when it comes out. (Though I'll wait for a few volumes before buying to see if VIZ pulls a VIZ.)
zalas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
zalas wrote:
I have a feeling Shana didn't do so hot in terms of sales for Viz, but I hadn't heard about this censorship issue.
They cropped one of the images in the novel and I think they may have cut one out entirely but I'm not sure about that. Since word of this came out very shortly after the novel's release, I'm sure it affected sales somewhat.

Thanks for the tip. I managed to track down an AoD thread about it. Though, judging from what was changed, I think the bigger travesty was probably the translation. Although, now I see that it makes sense that they dumbed down the translation, if they were trying to reach a much younger audience. Still a pretty bad move, in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3