• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-03-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mckg1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Moe, mhmhmm, well i really dont care if its moe, or action,or whatever, it just needs a good story, plot, and character development. I'll enjoy it.
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The first letter made me think about Eminem (don't run! I'm going somewhere with this). He talks about doing very specific and horrible things to very specific people (mostly his mom and his ex-wife), and openly mocks any attempts at revenge or self-defense. Not to mention accusing real life people of doing bad things.

Of course, he explains it all away by saying it's his crazy alter-ego saying all those things, but how he escapes libel suits is beyond me. Even when convicted, the settlement was under $2000, and he continued using the person as a target.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

What was the purpose of these two lines? No, really, what? Your own satisfaction at getting to laugh at someone? It's not like it burst out before you realized what you were doing; you had to think about it, compose it, type it up, look it over, and hit submit.

Accidental rudeness I understand easily enough. I do it probably way more often than I should. Deliberate, calculated rudeness? Going out of your way to belittle (not criticize) someone? What's the point?

Let's put it in a different light.
Can you imagine some guy sending a letter to People Magazine asking them how to get Johnny Depp to do a commercial for their company? If the person is representing a reputable company, don't you hope they understand asking for top talent takes top dollar & also enough research to know they need to contact someone who actually does business with the people in question? Would you ask Fangoria to put you in touch with Stephen King or Stephen King's publisher?

Would those magazines publish the letters? Or would they just file them in the bin?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Take DBZ (your example). Vegeta is so fricken much fun & hardly one-dimensional. He's the prince of a warrior race brought up from his birth to believe he's the best of the strongest, most feared race, only to hit the reality that is Freeza. Instead of Daddy just squashing Freeza, Vegeta is given over as a hostage, submitted to god knows what sort of humiliation (doesn't Freeza's court seem to be the bullying type?). Most kids I know (& it appears Vegeta felt the same) expect mommy &/or daddy to save them. Vegeta's didn't. No wonder he's shown dismissing his planet--they couldn't even save a little boy. His only option at that point is becoming strong enough to avenge himself & his people by destroying Freeza...and he fails.
That obviously hurt bad. And it colored most of his actions in the story. Piccalo also has to come up against his past & his present a few times

Have you been watching too much of the dub?

Vegeta wasn't taken hostage. Vegeta loves to kill people. Vegeta would have been just as brutally cruel had Freeza never graced the Saiyans with his presence. He's a monster. He just happened to be training to kill even better when his planet was destroyed.

Not to mention, King Vegeta attacked Freeza not even knowing (or probably caring) where his son was. Saiyans are not sentimental people.

Speaking of bad dubs, I hate when licensors try to "punch up" scripts by adding their own spin to characters and scenarios. Funimation does this all the time, trying to add quips and jokes where they don't belong or trying to reinterpret a character differently to make them seem more interesting. It rarely works.

Having Greed call the Elric brothers "the Smellric brothers", for instance. I mean, what was the point of adding that? It's not funny, it's not something Greed would ever say, and it's just distracting.

Funimation likes to think their scripts are witty and clever, but they're not. They need to stop thinking they're creative. The stories and characters have already been provided for them. If Funimation wants to be creative, they should produce their own cartoons.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kailegh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
To say that I don’t understand the appeal of “moe” would be a major understatement, so I too am really curious as to what next week’s responses will be.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
An example of a bad dub is Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. The voices are unpleasant, the acting is wooden and the pronunciations are excruciating (Tomoe pronounced Tohmoh! Heaven help us!). I never watch it with the English dub.

Actually what I found even worse than that is the script. It's hopelessly inaccurate and even occasionally inserts comments and screaming where there was no voice in the original (Kenshin's hilarious 5 minute long scream at the end as he narrates over himself screaming was not present originally).

It's tolerable if you've never seen or read any other Rurouni Kenshin material, but if you're a fan it just completely ruins it. Any mention of keywords an RK fan would recognize such as "Hitokiri Battousai" is entirely removed, and scenes that originally had very recognizable dialogue from the manga are changed to have the conversation about something else entirely. Episode 2 is still titled "The Lost Cat" even though the line of dialogue which this title comes from is not present in the dub. There were even several scenes in the Reflections OVA that I didn't realize were actually flashback to very specific manga scenes until I watched it in Japanese because the English script is just so different.

It's practically like watching Yu-Gi-Oh! (in terms of shear script inaccuracy...)
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy! For the second time, he chose my answer!
Lenks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
sirkoala13 wrote:
I'm so happy! For the second time, he chose my answer!

I know the feeling. =D
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
mckg1 wrote:
Moe, mhmhmm, well i really don't care if its moe, or action,or whatever, it just needs a good story, plot, and character development. I'll enjoy it.

Yup. Agree completely. Just hope I don't get caught.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Quote:
An example of a bad dub is Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. The voices are unpleasant, the acting is wooden and the pronunciations are excruciating (Tomoe pronounced Tohmoh! Heaven help us!). I never watch it with the English dub.

Actually what I found even worse than that is the script. It's hopelessly inaccurate and even occasionally inserts comments and screaming where there was no voice in the original (Kenshin's hilarious 5 minute long scream at the end as he narrates over himself screaming was not present originally).

It's tolerable if you've never seen or read any other Rurouni Kenshin material, but if you're a fan it just completely ruins it. Any mention of keywords an RK fan would recognize such as "Hitokiri Battousai" is entirely removed, and scenes that originally had very recognizable dialogue from the manga are changed to have the conversation about something else entirely. Episode 2 is still titled "The Lost Cat" even though the line of dialogue which this title comes from is not present in the dub. There were even several scenes in the Reflections OVA that I didn't realize were actually flashback to very specific manga scenes until I watched it in Japanese because the English script is just so different.

It's practically like watching Yu-Gi-Oh! (in terms of shear script inaccuracy...)

Yes, I could have mentioned the script. Will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Funimation likes to think their scripts are witty and clever, but they're not. They need to stop thinking they're creative. The stories and characters have already been provided for them. If Funimation wants to be creative, they should produce their own cartoons.

Can't disagree with you more, Sgt. Frog is much better in english than it is in Japanese, just because it makes the incomprehensible episodes actually make sense. The two I am thinking about is the beach episode and the one where it;s a parody of an 80's live action series.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
To answer this week's "Hey, Answerfans" question, I simply like seeing cute girls do not much of anything big but have charming character moments with each other, but, if that's not your cup of tea, there's not really anything I can say to change your mind about moé, not that moé is a singular genre. (I consider myself a moé fan, but I don't watch much of the romance-heavy dating sim/visual novel-based stuff.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pinoiBIGscientian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
Oh, please. The word "Tagalized" is so last decade.

And you'd be surprised that some of these otaku who abhor Tagalog dubs today actually had good childhood memories of watching BTX, Magic Knight Rayearth, etc. on the local networks. In Tagalog dub. Guess there's nothing else to blame but the Internet for giving us something to compare the local dubs against.
CG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
pinoiBIGscientian wrote:
Oh, please. The word "Tagalized" is so last decade.

And you'd be surprised that some of these otaku who abhor Tagalog dubs today actually had good childhood memories of watching BTX, Magic Knight Rayearth, etc. on the local networks. In Tagalog dub. Guess there's nothing else to blame but the Internet for giving us something to compare the local dubs against.

Nope, I still hear "tagalized" to this day!

But yeah, I agree, it is quite hypocritical, the way most Pinoy Otaku reject the art they grew up with and once enjoyed. After all, who can forget Jefferson Utanes' portrayal of San Goku? I believe it's part of our own flavour of Otaku elitism here in the RP, a part that, as pointed out, was caused by the internet.

Oh, and by the way, I wrote that response. It felt great to be chosen!
silentjay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Lucy wrote:
For some stupid reason, J-VAs can change their voices so much easier E-VAs in subtle (or not so subtle) ways.

Um, no. Absolutely not. I'm nowhere near as good at placing seiyuu by their voices as a I am with English VAs, but there are several that I can consistently recognize specifically because they always have the same tone and inflection to their voice and never seem to make a serious effort to vary it. Granted, there are English VAs who are equally guilty of always sounding the same (Peter Doyle immediately springs to mind, and Steve Blum earlier in his career), but in my experience they just as regularly make an effort to vary their vocal styles and are much more prone to using appropriate accents.

Which is true, and makes up the majority of voice actors on both sides of the Pacific. That said, there are some great talents, but in North America, most of them have moved on out of anime dubbing, which is sort of considered a voice acting ghetto here.

Steve Blum's largely moved on, for example. (He's also the voice of Goodyear now, which must be a nice gig.) Then there's the VAs who never did anime, as far as I know, like Phil LaMarr who have a range like no others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3