• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vampire Knight, 2nd Haruhi Season's English Casts Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuicyB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The Haruhi cast is pretty solid, but the return of the dub cast isn't going to make me buy a season of a show that's mostly "Endless Eight", regardless of what trick they used. It's too bad they've put it all together into one set, because "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" and the "Sighs" episodes were pretty good.

Yeah, from what I remember the non-troll episodes were actually decent, but I will still lol @ anyone buying endless eight.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I never understood why people want to watch season one in broadcast order. That's how I watched it first, and I hated it. I wish I'd never seen it that way. After watching it in Chronological order, it became one of my favorite anime.
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
I never understood why people want to watch season one in broadcast order. That's how I watched it first, and I hated it. I wish I'd never seen it that way. After watching it in Chronological order, it became one of my favorite anime.

I originally watched it in chronological order also and I can't imagine why anyone would watch it any other way. It just seems retarded. Quirky for the sake of being quirky. But hey, were talkin about people who enjoy listening to a language they don't understand while reading words on a screen.
theagentofchaos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
keikanna44 wrote:
BAD VAMPIRE KNIGHT DUB!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

I love Vic Mignogna but his voice doesn't fit Zero at all! Ethan Murray is okay but I don't think he has that haunting, cool type of voice that Kaname Kuran has. It's a shame though because this series is really fantastic. I was looking forward to the dub version of it but I don't know now.

Back to the subs!!!

THIS.
Seriously. Vic is awesome, but Zero is so very NOT him. Maybe Mamoru Miyano's work has made me biased, but really... I can't even imagine it O.o
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:

I watched it in chronological order and absolutely farking loved episdoes 1-6 (aka, the episodes with the actual story), and ended up hating nearly every other episode except for Sagitarius and the rock concert.

Whereas in the broadcast order they sprinkle the story in around the non-story episodes, so it doesn't seem so black&white.

EDIT: Also, in the chronological order it ends with "Someday in the rain" which is awful. Like 2 minutes is spent just watching Yuki flip through a book, seriously.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Megiddo"]
Otaku_X wrote:

EDIT: Also, in the chronological order it ends with "Someday in the rain" which is awful. Like 2 minutes is spent just watching Yuki flip
through a book, seriously.

That's part of the reason I love chronological order. Someday in the Rain seemed like a MUCH better final episode. And what's wrong with the Yuki scene? I loved that one. You see what it's like in there without the others. What she must have been doing before Haruhi took her room.
falaina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
FlyingFox wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:

I originally watched it in chronological order also and I can't imagine why anyone would watch it any other way. It just seems retarded. Quirky for the sake of being quirky. But hey, were talkin about people who enjoy listening to a language they don't understand while reading words on a screen.

The problem with chronological order is it front-loads the best part of the series. It blows through all the plot and the really good climax by episode 6, and you're just left with random adventures of the SOS brigade for the next 8 episodes (which isn't *terrible*, but isn't ideal)

Frankly, episode 6 is wasted so early in the series; you barely know the characters and the extent of their abilities. The broadcast order provides a much more consistent progression of events where it slowly builds up to the more interesting events and reveals, and places the amazing climax of episode 6 right at the end of the series. It also adds a certain mystery element to the series, but I can definitely see how some would just find it confusing; in the end I think it's worth it, but YMMV.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
falaina wrote:

The problem with chronological order is it front-loads the best part of the series. It blows through all the plot and the really good climax by episode 6, and you're just left with random adventures of the SOS brigade for the next 8 episodes (which isn't *terrible*, but isn't ideal)

Frankly, episode 6 is wasted so early in the series; you barely know the characters and the extent of their abilities. The broadcast order provides a much more consistent progression of events where it slowly builds up to the more interesting events and reveals, and places the amazing climax of episode 6 right at the end of the series. It also adds a certain mystery element to the series, but I can definitely see how some would just find it confusing; in the end I think it's worth it, but YMMV.

I liked the other stuff as much as the story. In broadcast order, I found it not only confusing, but the fact it went from them knowing everything to not knowing to learning back and forth made it hard to connect with and care about the characters.
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm all right with Haruhi's casting since i've watched the dub before.

Vampire Knight, however, is another story...Vic Mignogna's voice for Zero...no. just. no. I like his voice and all, especially for fma, but his voice just does not seem to suit Zero.

Ugh w/e i'll just wait and see how this goes.

Last edited by monkeyshinobi on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
theagentofchaos wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:

I love Vic Mignogna but his voice doesn't fit Zero at all! Ethan Murray is okay but I don't think he has that haunting, cool type of voice that Kaname Kuran has. It's a shame though because this series is really fantastic. I was looking forward to the dub version of it but I don't know now.

Back to the subs!!!

THIS.
Seriously. Vic is awesome, but Zero is so very NOT him. Maybe Mamoru Miyano's work has made me biased, but really... I can't even imagine it O.o

agreed, in fact it seems like a total miscast. Don't get me wrong, I love Vic and his voice work, but his voice works better for loud/flambouyant characters, a character like Zero seems so far out of anything else he's ever done, and a quieter more brooding voice would have been better. Who knows maybe he wanted the role, maybe I'll ask him about it when I see him at tekko.
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

agreed, in fact it seems like a total miscast. Don't get me wrong, I love Vic and his voice work, but his voice works better for loud/flambouyant characters, a character like Zero seems so far out of anything else he's ever done, and a quieter more brooding voice would have been better. Who knows maybe he wanted the role, maybe I'll ask him about it when I see him at tekko.

Actually, just like most other actors, voice actors do not get to choose the parts they play. They may get to ask to read for a certain character at the audition, but they have to audition, nonetheless, for the part.

I, personally, trust the people at Bang Zoom! entertainment. That they cast Vic tells me that he impressed them with his audition. There is a reason Mr. Mignogna has continued to work, and that reason is that casting directors enjoy his performances and see them as marketable. Remember, nobody but the folks at Bang Zoom! (and probably the people at Viz) have seen his performance. I wouldn't pin it as bad yet, since nobody here has seen it. Sure, we can speculate, but it's a "genetic fallacy" to say something is bad without being able to say why it is so. Who knows, Vic might just impress all of you. It's been done before (remember, before FMA premiered, he got threatening emails not to "mess up" as Ed).

Very Happy
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
theagentofchaos wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:

Back to the subs!!!

THIS.

I hate to keep reiterating this, but please stop making judgments on Vic's acting for Zero until AFTER the dub is out, then if you don't like it, you can actually say it from experience instead of just saying this because it's him and you think his voice might not fit the role, after all the JAPANESE approve the casting for their anime.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Thank god Wendee is playing Haruhi again. I have nothing against Vee or anything but Wendee did a great job.
H0shi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
And I threw up in my mouth. Bad dub is bad. but enjoy for those who are getting it.

Yeah, i almost agree with you..

but you kow, not all English dubbers are suckers. There's Vic Mignona and others...

The only thing I hate about dubbers are their pronounciation. So slang that makes me bore on the spot. But oh well, not all people prefer subs than dubs..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
John Casey wrote:
machetecat wrote:
*excited as hell* YES!!! YESYESYESYESYES!!!!! I'M TOTALLY GONNA BUY SEASON 2!!!!

And I think they basically said that we're getting all of endless 8 so YES AGAIN!!! This is gonna be awesome!!!!

You won't be rooting for too long...

Why do you say that? becouse the 8 episodes are similar?

No. Because they're exactly the same, save for one or two differences per episode?

You can quite literally watch the first episode, any middle one, and the last one without missing a thing. That effectively makes FIVE completely obsolete episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6