Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment Responds to ANNCast Comments


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nhat



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 917
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
Technically aren't they just trying to keep things positive and not say if they are doing bad or else the shareholders and stock holders will withdrawal support from that company? Aka cause a panic?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kalessin



Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 930
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Technically aren't they just trying to keep things positive and not say if they are doing bad or else the shareholders and stock holders will withdrawal support from that company? Aka cause a panic?


I don't think that there's really any question that this move by Bandai is an attempt to make things not look bad so that they can avoid the negative consequences of there being a public perception that they're on the verge of going out of business.

The real questions are how close what Eric Sherman said is to what's actually going on and how much spin Bandai is putting on this. They could be on the very verge of death, about to go out of business if Haruhi and the unnamed license aren't huge hits, or they could be doing fairly well but be on the verge of deciding not to dub anything anymore because it's not profitable.

It's quite clear that if Bandai's fortunes don't improve, we're going to be seeing very few - if any - dubs out of them in the future. What we don't know is whether they're close to going out of business or just close to ceasing to dub anything. There's definitely spin here. The question is how much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ScrappedAeon



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 53
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
"Little support" for dubbed anime my ass. Dubs are the only thing that actually sell in the US.

God I don't get the anime industry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CCSYueh



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Posts: 2707
Location: San Diego, CA
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
keikanki wrote:
Gotta admit, the thought that Sherman didn't really have a basis to speak to Bandai's future did cross my mind at one point listening to that segment of the ANNCast interview.


While he doesn't have the position of spokeman for Bandai, he does have much more info than we fans have on the state of the industry.

keikanki wrote:
His company is a dubbing studio.

that's been dubbing anime for over a decade & has had dealings with more than one anime licensing company which means he has contacts in more than one place. The VA's he works with work for other companies so he probably can piece together a pretty accurate estimate of where the business he's in stands at this moment. Part of being successful in a business is being able to read the current business environment.

keikanki wrote:
Eric sounds like a really nice guy, he's obviously passionate about his work and fond of the talent pool he's helped cultivate over the last 10 years or so, but the more that's said on his comments, the more I tend to agree with the person in the other thread who said he's stuck in the past and not actually well informed. Like a lot of people in the thread his blog posting spawned, he seems like a guy who knows just enough of the in's and out's of the industry to be dangerous enough to jump to conclusions and make seriously flawed judgments about where the industry is and where it's going, when his experiences in the business are really considerably below that level of knowledge and expertise.


Let's see--
Quote:
In response to Mr. Sherman's comments and how they were interpreted, Bandai Entertainment has no plans to close down.

Relative. Geneon had actually become somewhat more active in the year prior to shutting down their US operation, announcing quite a few titles that were left hanging

Quote:
We actually had a very good year in 2009 and good results in the first quarter of 2010.


This sounds rather guarded. Good year? They postponed just about every release at least once, didn't they? I would gamble at least some of that positive is the result of practically bare-boning their releases to sub.

Quote:
We have new titles to announce soon and we will be exhibiting at Anime Expo, Otakon, and New York Anime Festival this year.

Quote:
It was stated that Bandai's North American business (as far as dubbed anime goes) was almost completely riding on the success of Haruhi and an unnamed project. In other words, if it doesn't sell, it's likely that investors and board members alike at Bandai would cut their losses and get out of the North American dubbing business, switching to sub only instead.


I don't see too much at odds between these 2 statements. Mr. Sherman believes it's down to 2 titles for Bandai. I do know I've seen enough comments on these boards that Bandai's fans are getting a bit weary of the delays & sub-only releases.

Quote:
Mr. Sherman's speculations about the state of the anime industry are interesting, but not accurate as it pertains to Bandai Entertainment, except in regard to the point that he was actually trying to make that if the market trend continues where there is little support for dubbed anime products, we may unfortunately discontinue creating dubs and focus on sub-only releases. Hopefully this does not happen. We continue to be grateful to the fans that support our business.


I have the Bandai release of Eat-Man which they stopped dubbing half-way thru. I have a few older sub-only releases from them (Haunted Junction comes to mind) It already seems as though Bandai is fine with sub only. Bandai Visual was sub-only.Not long after they were rolled into Bandai here, it seems the sub releases shot up. Bandai seems perfectly content to switch to the cheapest product release mode they can in the attempt to ride out the storm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Silvanoshei



Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote
Maybe people would buy dubs if they didn't suck so much. Try getting the characters right from a American point of view. Like high-pitched girls do NOT need to be the same for US dubs... my god is that annoying. NORMAL voices are favorable, that tune into the character.

It actually takes people with ACTING under there belt, along with singing. If a person can sing, they can do well voice acting. Every-time I see a Dub, I slap my hand to the forhead thinking "what have they done."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poehitman



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 93
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote
All I can say is that if they stop making dubs, I stop buying their DVD's. I won't buy sub-only releases as they are just glorified fansubs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
jsc315



Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote
We all know how Bandai did here. It's no suprise in what they said. They dont understand the U.S. anime market at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZenErik



Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 392
Location: Boston
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:57 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
All I can say is that if they stop making dubs, I stop buying their DVD's. I won't buy sub-only releases as they are just glorified fansubs.

I find that rather harsh. You won't support the anime industry if there isn't a dub?..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsc315



Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
All I can say is that if they stop making dubs, I stop buying their DVD's. I won't buy sub-only releases as they are just glorified fansubs.

That is one of the most idiotic things i have read on here in a while. Please explain how in the world you came to this conclusion?

[Mod Edit: Hey, try and least be somewhat civil. There's no need to call the poster an idiot. - Keonyn]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZenErik



Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 392
Location: Boston
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
poehitman wrote:
All I can say is that if they stop making dubs, I stop buying their DVD's. I won't buy sub-only releases as they are just glorified fansubs.

That is one of the most idiotic things i have read on here in a while. Please explain how in the world you came to this conclusion?

While I may tend to agree, think about this way: from what I have gathered from his/her statement, at least he/she considers buying DVDs in the first place. Many people on here seemingly don't even give that a thought.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalessin



Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 930
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:13 am Reply with quote
Silvanoshei wrote:
Maybe people would buy dubs if they didn't suck so much. Try getting the characters right from a American point of view. Like high-pitched girls do NOT need to be the same for US dubs... my god is that annoying. NORMAL voices are favorable, that tune into the character.

It actually takes people with ACTING under there belt, along with singing. If a person can sing, they can do well voice acting. Every-time I see a Dub, I slap my hand to the forhead thinking "what have they done."


I've never understood all the complaining about dubs. Sure, there are bad dubs out there - especially older ones - but as far as I've seen, most dubs are fine. Do many of these people who think dubs sound bad not watch many of them, or are a lot of people just a lot pickier than I am or something? I see little reason to complain about your average dub these days. They're generally good.

ZenErik wrote:
poehitman wrote:
All I can say is that if they stop making dubs, I stop buying their DVD's. I won't buy sub-only releases as they are just glorified fansubs.

I find that rather harsh. You won't support the anime industry if there isn't a dub?..


Well, for some people, a dub is required for them or they won't watch it, let alone buy it. For other people who are looking it purely from the standpoint of whether buying an anime will get them something that they can't get for free, sub-only doesn't cut it because they can already it get that with fansubs.

Now, refusing to buy a series because it has no dub - whatever your reason may be - isn't exactly going to help the industry, but there are definitely reasons why people consider it unexceptable to buy anime DVDs without a dub. In this case, it looks like poehitman is favoring the idea that the R1 release doesn't give you anything more than a fansub, so they're not going to pay for it. They insist on added value.

And while I find that to be a poor attitude, it's definitely something that R1 anime companies should think about when releasing sub-only DVDs. How can they add value to it such that it's worth it to people to buy it rather than just downloading the fansub? Rightstuf/Nozomi certainly tries to do that with extra booklets and nice boxes and such, but other companies like Bandai or Sentai give you pretty barebone stuff, such that folks like poehitman will find little reason to shell out money for their releases - especially when many fansubs are in HD, and the R1 releases generally aren't (in fact, I don't think that there have been any sub-only BD releases, but I'd have to check to be sure). Making it so that sub-only releases have something that fansubs don't is at least one potential way to regain some sales which would otherwise be lost.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poehitman



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 93
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:25 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
poehitman wrote:
All I can say is that if they stop making dubs, I stop buying their DVD's. I won't buy sub-only releases as they are just glorified fansubs.

That is one of the most idiotic things i have read on here in a while. Please explain how in the world you came to this conclusion?


I use fansubs to decide what series' I like, and which I don't. Fansubs are the same as watching a show on television first before buying the show on DVD. I'm not going to spend my money on something I don't know if I'm going to like or not.

Now when it comes down to actually buying a DVD, you need to have something on the DVD to justify me buying the DVD over watching the shows I taped off the tv when the show aired. For anime, I prefer listening to audio which I can actually understand. So the dub is the added value that makes the DVD worth purchasing.

For sub-only, what is the added value that justifies me purchasing it? Some cheap extras that I won't ever even look at because they are worthless? And don't say "well the official subs are more accurate than the fansubs". I watched the "official" version of Polyphonica on The Anime Network On Demand. The main female character's name is "Corticarte" and her nickname that Phoron calls her is "Cortie". The "official" subs screwed that up and had the subs calling her "Coatie". THAT is why I call them glorified fansubs. A lot of the fansubs out there also have better resolution and video quality to them as well.

So tell me, why should someone who prefers dubs buy sub-only DVD's? Even without the previous explanation, what is so hard to understand about a dub fan not wanting to buy DVD's that don't have what he/she is a fan of on them?

Also, if they are only going to release them sub-only, I'd rather they not license them at all, because it kills any chance of them ever being dubbed.

I don't know why the sub-only elitist fans seem to object to even having a dub track on a DVD when a sub track is almost always included as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
poehitman



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 93
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Silvanoshei wrote:
Maybe people would buy dubs if they didn't suck so much. Try getting the characters right from a American point of view. Like high-pitched girls do NOT need to be the same for US dubs... my god is that annoying. NORMAL voices are favorable, that tune into the character.

It actually takes people with ACTING under there belt, along with singing. If a person can sing, they can do well voice acting. Every-time I see a Dub, I slap my hand to the forhead thinking "what have they done."


I've never understood all the complaining about dubs. Sure, there are bad dubs out there - especially older ones - but as far as I've seen, most dubs are fine. Do many of these people who think dubs sound bad not watch many of them, or are a lot of people just a lot pickier than I am or something? I see little reason to complain about your average dub these days. They're generally good.

ZenErik wrote:
poehitman wrote:
All I can say is that if they stop making dubs, I stop buying their DVD's. I won't buy sub-only releases as they are just glorified fansubs.

I find that rather harsh. You won't support the anime industry if there isn't a dub?..


Well, for some people, a dub is required for them or they won't watch it, let alone buy it. For other people who are looking it purely from the standpoint of whether buying an anime will get them something that they can't get for free, sub-only doesn't cut it because they can already it get that with fansubs.

Now, refusing to buy a series because it has no dub - whatever your reason may be - isn't exactly going to help the industry, but there are definitely reasons why people consider it unexceptable to buy anime DVDs without a dub. In this case, it looks like poehitman is favoring the idea that the R1 release doesn't give you anything more than a fansub, so they're not going to pay for it. They insist on added value.

And while I find that to be a poor attitude, it's definitely something that R1 anime companies should think about when releasing sub-only DVDs. How can they add value to it such that it's worth it to people to buy it rather than just downloading the fansub? Rightstuf/Nozomi certainly tries to do that with extra booklets and nice boxes and such, but other companies like Bandai or Sentai give you pretty barebone stuff, such that folks like poehitman will find little reason to shell out money for their releases - especially when many fansubs are in HD, and the R1 releases generally aren't (in fact, I don't think that there have been any sub-only BD releases, but I'd have to check to be sure). Making it so that sub-only releases have something that fansubs don't is at least one potential way to regain some sales which would otherwise be lost.


I have to survive on Social Security Disability ever since I got hurt 10 years ago. So what little I can buy has to be worth the money. Sub-only dvd's simply aren't worth it when I can get better quality for free. Plus, I much prefer dubs. So I'm not going to pay for something I don't particularly enjoy watching in the first place. Also, I'm not going to support an industry if they are going in a direction I don't like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Kalessin



Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 930
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
I use fansubs to decide what series' I like, and which I don't. Fansubs are the same as watching a show on television first before buying the show on DVD. I'm not going to spend my money on something I don't know if I'm going to like or not.


Well, technically-speaking, it's different from normal television in that you usually pay for your television service in order to get that service, while with fansubbed anime, you haven't paid a dime. So, it's not really quite the same thing as having recorded something off of your TV.

poehitman wrote:
I have to survive on Social Security Disability ever since I got hurt 10 years ago. So what little I can buy has to be worth the money. Sub-only dvd's simply aren't worth it when I can get better quality for free. Plus, I much prefer dubs. So I'm not going to pay for something I don't particularly enjoy watching in the first place. Also, I'm not going to support an industry if they are going in a direction I don't like.


Well, we each deal with our own situations and decide what we feel is the right thing to do and what we're willing to do. You're obviously in a tougher situation than many. At least you do buy some stuff though. There seem to be far too many folks who watch tons of fansubs and don't buy anything. It's too bad that there's no way to get the numbers on that sort of thing, though. It could be quite interesting - and certainly enlightening. I wonder how both the anime companies and fans would do things differently if they understood exactly what the impact of fansubbing was on the anime industry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZenErik



Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 392
Location: Boston
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
I have to survive on Social Security Disability ever since I got hurt 10 years ago. So what little I can buy has to be worth the money. Sub-only dvd's simply aren't worth it when I can get better quality for free. Plus, I much prefer dubs. So I'm not going to pay for something I don't particularly enjoy watching in the first place. Also, I'm not going to support an industry if they are going in a direction I don't like.

While I feel for you and your disability, you seem to be saying that sub only releases justify your stealing.

Your posts make it sound like you watch an awful lot of fansubbed material. Yet, at the same time, you also say this: "So I'm not going to pay for something I don't particularly enjoy watching in the first place." So which is it? You only enjoy subbed anime when it's free? Getting "better quality" for free is nice if it's from a legal source. There is more and more anime streaming for free these days, with ads (very much like commercials, meaning there is revenue generated) being generated), of course.

I guess this is, or will be, turning into yet another moral debate. So it's about time I stop posting. I can preach, but my practices aren't always in line with that. I also watch fansubs sometimes. Either of shows that I fully intend on buying, if they are licensed, or to watch 1 or 2 episodes of a licensed show to see if it is something I that grabs my attention enough to be worthy of a purchase. If I am looking into a licensed series, I generally look for legal streams first, but they are not always available.

Well, good day to you. Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group