• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN to Stream 1,000+ Anime Episodes Throughout Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for answering tempest. Not surprised by your answer but a girl can live in hope. Hopefully if this takes off well, eventually more markets will become worth getting the rights for Smile
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Well it's great news for the Americans Confused Eh, whatever. I'm only following DRRR and Giant killing anyway. Its not like I'd ever watch the stuff if it was available to me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good. I'm interested to hear that you might be getting some of Funimation's simulcasts in the near future. I hope they won't be US locked and at least include Canada.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
brand wrote:
Any chance with the other ImaginAsian titles like Cats Eye, and The Super Dimension Century Orguss?

I second this. I missed the boat on the ImaginAsian DVDs for these titles and have always regretted it.

You never know, with Justin's connections with ImaginAsian, maybe he'll be able to surprise us in the future. It would be great to get Cat's Eye on ANN, it's a kinda campy series with a good plotline or two hiding in there. But I really enjoyed the series and would like others to get to see it too.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
This is so awesome! I missed seeing Nobody's Boy and am really happy to get another chance. I'm looking forward to the Leiji Matsumoto stuff too. Huzzah!
kamiikazeheart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome, awesome news! I cant wait to try out Remy and a few other titles. Air Master is another one I'd like to try. What about the possiability of streaming 'The Star of Cottonland'?
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, ANN! I was searching ebay for Nobody's Boy for about three months before I gave up!
Drmke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I really like this idea. Seems like similar ideas are spreading all around the anime/manga community, which is great. I haven't seen most of them so it'll be a chance for me to "catch up". Especially excited for Slam Dunk Very Happy
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I don't know if the industry in Italy is bad or whatever.

It is. A normal non-mainstream anime sells (if there's luck involved) about 2,000 copies. However, I think there are hardly any titles that break 10,000 copies.

Quote:

I know the recent one was Gurren Lagann and Code Geass (which is no suprise because Italy are biggest importer of mecha anime

The distributor however complained that despite the TV run, sales were poor. It's really nothing new, as the anime market is almost dead in Italy, and it's a combination of lack of marketing, small companies (often ran with questionable procedures - as in lack of organization), and other local issues.

Quote:

I did notice Italy doesn't have a PSN video store yet (I think their Xbox Live video marketplace is either active or not, I'm not sure. I don't know about Itunes in Italy). I don't know if they have something equivalent to Hulu or ANN.

PSN Video store was recently launched I believe, but since I don't agree with their policy (regional locks) I haven't checked. Services like Hulu will never gain that much importance in Italy, as the broadband is still fragmented (plus other reasons).

Quote:

Anime companies in Italy like Dynit, and Yamato Video don't have video portal similar to Funi's and Viz's video portal

I have first hand experience with one of those, having worked for them a few years ago (not exposing myself though) and let me tell you that they're small, with low budgets and not really ran like a business (financially yes as they're healthy - but the rest, not).

Quote:

Anime in Italy do face censorship when trying to broadcast on cable TV.

There is no equivalent to cable TV in Italy. DVB-T isn't really anything similar to it.

Quote:

That's why Italy should look into video streaming and bring in Animax for that country,

I'm in the minority but I hope not. DRM + regional lock + proprietary video format (Flash) - No THanks. I'd buy a DVD/Blu Ray over streaming like this (in fact, I do).
Scirel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
ANN, is it possible you`ll get some of the other digimon series?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Would you guys be able to get the dubs for Slam Dunk, Air Master, and Pretty Cure? Those haven't been seen anywhere.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh, something I want to watch.

Is it region blocked?

Why yes, it is.

This is the Brave New World?
[ConanThe3rd]
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Giggity! I know what I'll be doing when I'm not busy!
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info on Remi. I only had enough money for Orguss and Cat's Eye at the time I salvaged those shows from Right Stuf before that ImaginAsian deal ended. Crying or Very sad Um, could you please ask TMS to upload Cat's Eye 2 while they're at it? Hell, I'm still wondering why they only limited the Lupin stuff to a local channel.

Quote:
However, TMS has announced that the English DVD rights, merchandising, and rights for Latin American distribution are still available, and can be obtained directly from TMS Entertainment, USA, Inc.

Do they have an online store or something?

jsevakis:
Quote:
(TMS is quite good people to work with),

Not if you own the "remastered" Cagliostro from Manga. Mad

Quote:
Instead, our overall direction will be finding the great shows that have slipped through the cracks, in the hopes they get discovered again.

So no chance with Bo^7, then huh? Laughing

Quote:
There's no built-in audience for WMT,

There should be for the Miyazaki stuff, at least.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:
I'd like to see ANN running the stuff that Funimation streams. Funimation uses Hulu and Hulu doesn't allow anything outside the US even if it is legal. I have to wait until it shows up on their YouTube channel, and that can be weeks behind the streaming.

We have a huge backlog of shows from Funi that we'll be posting over the next few months. Once we're caught up Funi will hopefully send us more. Be sure to let them know that we're your preferred way of watching streams! Smile

Ahem, well, preferred over Hulu and YouTube in any event. Hulu is a decent player for a marathon (and the sixth time you've been told how great caffeine and vitamin B shots will make you at 4pm at work, it starts to turn into white noise), but the catalog layout in ANN has always been much better for browsing, and if the player is now superior, that makes a slam dunk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7